Domain Empire

Always check expiry date after renewal (Shocks from Namesilo)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Couple months ago, I transferred out 25+ domains to Namecheap.com from Namesilo.com.
Reason? Their $3.98 transfer promotion, not that I dislike NameSilo, never had problem with them before.

After successful transfer I decided to check the expiry dates ones again before adding 1 year each, and update them in my excel sheet.

All was good, except for one domain, where expiry date remained the same. I inquired with support (Namecheap), they said the domain must have been in grace period. That is the only explaination.
https://www.icann.org/news/advisory-2002-06-06-en

I debated to them for long how can domain be in grace period if I renewed it well in advance, they denied any help but pointed out clearly that if a domain is eligible for free 1 year, after domains transfer, 1 year is added from registry level, so we (registrar) have no hand on it.

Now, I faced towards namesilo, they started with argument, that I should talk to Namecheap, but when I pointed out that my domain is alleged to enter grace period before transfer, they said yes it was.

Now, after hours of debate and very rude behavior from their side, and talking to 3 different agents, truth came out.

SHOCK 1 : They (Namesilo) charged my credit card 1 month before expiry date (auto-renew service) keep the money, changed the expiry date in my dashboard (or not? I am not sure now) but never sent the renew request to the registry (verisign).

SHOCK 2 : So, when the expiry date came, the domain actually expired and entered grace period, but since they had already took my money, they remained silent. No email of "domain has expired". I was under impression that my domain has entered another year of registration and will expire next year.

SHOCK 3 : It was not a mistake, but practice! they send renew request to registries much later (in this they did not sent that request even after 6 days of expiry) even though you pay them on time.

After a string of really tiring, heated debates, they accepted that yes, the domain was expired before domain transfer even though they took my money. They then refunded me money.

LEARNINGS
  1. At least check for once(maybe right now) that your registrar is honest in renewing your domain when you pay them.
  2. To check that, trust external whois record and not your dashboard after payment of renewal fees.
  3. Some registrars take money in advance but send real renewal request to registry on actual expiry date. Sometimes (like in my case) even later.
  4. Some registrars renew your domain for only 1 year even when you pay them upfront for multiple years in advance.
  5. When you transfer out your domain to other registrar check your expiry date before and after.
  6. If your domain expires (enters grace period) and you transfer your domain out, 1 year will not be added.
  7. So if you have to transfer your domain, do not pay current registrar the renewal fees as you are already paying transfer fees to other registrar and for both fees you will get only 1 year.
  8. If you have already paid renewal fees and still have to transfer, wait 45 days (from the day domain expired) before you transfer, after 45 days this rule goes out of play.
  9. If you have already paid renewal fees and still have to transfer and can't wait 45 days, then after successful transfer ask your previous registrar for a refund, they are liable for a refund because as per rules icann (or registry, not sure) refunds them their money automatically, but they wont tell you that, so you have to ask for your money.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@namesilo What happened here from your perspective?

•••
•••
•••
•••
Yes, this is correct. Per our email reminders, and our stated auto-renewal policies ( https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Automatic-Renewals) any domains set to auto-renew in a calendar month do so on the first day of that month. The biggest reason for this is that it does not require us to make an explicit renewal with the registry. If we did make an explicit renewal on the expiration date, it would disallow our customers from being able to cancel their auto-renewals for a refund without needing to delete the domain. This process takes advantage of registry auto-renewal policies and the AGP.

We process many auto-renewal orders every month. Despite many email reminders, many customers still wish to receive refunds on auto-renewal orders. We are able to offer the ability to cancel/refund auto-renewal orders as we do not explicitly renew with the registry. In these cases, we simply issue the refund and the domain returns to its prior expiration date within our system.

This is a confusing topic for many since most people are not aware that registries auto-renew domains implicitly unless they are "told" not to (via a deletion EPP request for the domain).

In the case of the OP, we certainly apologize for any confusion on the end of our support, but, unlike some other registrars, we do offer refunds due to transfers out in which a registry auto-renewal would have resulted in losing that domain year.

•••
Yes, this is correct. Per our email reminders, and our stated auto-renewal policies ( https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Automatic-Renewals) any domains set to auto-renew in a calendar month do so on the first day of that month. The biggest reason for this is that it does not require us to make an explicit renewal with the registry. If we did make an explicit renewal on the expiration date, it would disallow our customers from being able to cancel their auto-renewals for a refund without needing to delete the domain. This process takes advantage of registry auto-renewal policies and the AGP.

We process many auto-renewal orders every month. Despite many email reminders, many customers still wish to receive refunds on auto-renewal orders. We are able to offer the ability to cancel/refund auto-renewal orders as we do not explicitly renew with the registry. In these cases, we simply issue the refund and the domain returns to its prior expiration date within our system.

This is a confusing topic for many since most people are not aware that registries auto-renew domains implicitly unless they are "told" not to (via a deletion EPP request for the domain).

In the case of the OP, we certainly apologize for any confusion on the end of our support, but, unlike some other registrars, we do offer refunds due to transfers out in which a registry auto-renewal would have resulted in losing that domain year.

Thank you.
Yes, I highly appreciate that Namesilo refunded the money when I was entitled to it. (mentioned that in my post) But I had to ask for it.

Yes some registrars cheat on that too by further misleading customers and do not refund.

and Yes, I never said that I stopped recommending or using namesilo, their offering are certainly rock solid without any fuss (of hosting or email or SSL). The issue I pointed out here is industry wide I assume. It is kind of a cheating in the name of more control, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you.
Yes, I highly appreciate that Namesilo refunded the money when I was entitled to it. (mentioned that in my post)

Yes some registrars cheat on that too by further misleading customers.

and Yes, I never said that from that day, I stopped recommending or using namesilo, their offering are certainly rock solid without any fuss (of hosting or email or SSL). The issue I pointed out here is industry wide I assume. It is kind of a cheating in the name of more control, but it is what it is.

Thanks, appreciate your understanding and sorry again if the issue took longer to resolve than necessary.

•••
Yes, this is correct. Per our email reminders, and our stated auto-renewal policies ( https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Automatic-Renewals) any domains set to auto-renew in a calendar month do so on the first day of that month.

in point number 2 :
When are automatic renewal domains actually renewed?
It does not answer the real question, isnt it? It only says when your card is charged for auto-renewal.

•••
in point number 2 :
When are automatic renewal domains actually renewed?
It does not answer the real question, isnt it? It only says when your card is charged for auto-renewal.

Good point - our information is referring to when renewed in our system. I think it would make sense to draw a distinction when renewed at the registry as well to help avoid any confusion. We'll get that done...

•••
@namesilo
Why AUTH codes and unlocking are blocked in your panel during Autorenew Grace Period (up to 45 days)???
The domains are fully transferrable within this period... and you don't have any rights to prevent transfer-out.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Just check the box next to the domain and then click "Unlock Domains":

http://prntscr.com/jkttma

Also, we have very responsive support at [email protected] if you require help with issues such as this.

Thanks
OK, it works in this way.
But when opening any expired domain (so-called "Domain Console") - unlocking is not available there, and that's why I have asked.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back