Dynadot

IF domain is in autorenew state ( DOMAIN.COM ) when exact do they charge?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello,

Something strange happened : It took 18 days before I got domains from a move in bulk of 100 domains.to my Domain.com-acccount.(in the ticket the appologise).
BUT !!!!
They seemed all at autorenewal and.Immmediately several domains autorenewed !!
How stupid ! (a little luck was that it was a very tiny card with not much money -like 1.000 USD or so- or this would be a disaster. But still a 160 USD is 160 USD that they charged. (until that card was out of money).

My question is =>> IF domain is in autorenew state (DOMAIN.COM) when exact do they charge officially according to their rules? (how much days before the expiry date.

=> AND CAN I PROTEST AGAINST HOW THIS HAS BEEN HANDLED ?

Thanks in advance
Kind regards

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
just curious.. did it take 18 days for domain com team to push it to yoru account or did it take 18 days for your seller to call them up and initiate push?

cause push is normally as quick as your seller removing domains from his account and then you adding them to yorus from your panel.

not sure how long before they renew.. i guess 1-2 weeks... I disable renewal on all mine.. and all registrars.. to avoid bad suprises.

•••
just curious.. did it take 18 days for domain com team to push it to yoru account or did it take 18 days for your seller to call them up and initiate push?

cause push is normally as quick as your seller removing domains from his account and then you adding them to yorus from your panel.

not sure how long before they renew.. i guess 1-2 weeks... I disable renewal on all mine.. and all registrars.. to avoid bad suprises.

First on the first answer => I presume it was really 18 days after the seller sent it !!!. They even write in the ticket an apology that they were se ver very late.

(I'm in a hurry so for the second thing I get back when they exactly renew) I'll getback : The problem is that they charged, If I had known I would certainly put them on autorenewal OFF... But after 18 days !!) AND I'M FURIOUS THEY WERE ON AUTORENEWAL IN THE MOVE (is that "BE DEFAULT THE CASE ?).).

•••
Auto Renew can be set by the registrar for whatever date they want as long as it is stated in their terms. Start a ticket right away, they should be able to help since this was strange timing, push took very long, they stated they were at fault, and you didn't even have time to update anything.

Domain.com AutoRenew policy is 15 days before expiration
http://www1.domain.com/knowledgebase/beta/article.bml?ArticleID=2003

Also at least you had them at Domain.com where the cost is $12, the other siblings are as high as $18. If you were going to renew them anyway, I would ask support for a partial refund or credit equal to the best coupons they offer so your renewal cost was around $7.50ish or maybe they'll agree at cost $8.03.

And totally yes this is why I keep a placeholder card on file with all the domfam - Domain/MyDomain/NetFirms/Dotster

•••
Use PayPal-agreement there...
You can easily cancel it at any time in your PayPal panel...
And if needed - you can start a dispute to return your money... The buyer is always right in PayPal by default.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Yes I used ticket couple days ago - I had trouble finding it so I hacked the URL from my history

This link *should* redirect you to sign in, and then will redirect again to the Start New Ticket page *OR* login FIRST, then open a new tab and go to this link:
https://www1.domain.com/controlpanel/sconsole/new_ticket.bml

This trick works for all the domfam - Domain/MyDomain/NetFirms/Dotster, just replace the proper sibling in the URL

Also note there is a link at the UPPER RIGHT - Receive System Alerts via email
which I love so I don't have to login to check what's going on with the ticket

•••
Auto Renew can be set by the registrar for whatever date they want as long as it is stated in their terms. Start a ticket right away, they should be able to help since this was strange timing, push took very long, they stated they were at fault, and you didn't even have time to update anything.

Domain.com AutoRenew policy is 15 days before expiration
http://www1.domain.com/knowledgebase/beta/article.bml?ArticleID=2003

Also at least you had them at Domain.com where the cost is $12, the other siblings are as high as $18. If you were going to renew them anyway, I would ask support for a partial refund or credit equal to the best coupons they offer so your renewal cost was around $7.50ish or maybe they'll agree at cost $8.03.

And totally yes this is why I keep a placeholder card on file with all the domfam - Domain/MyDomain/NetFirms/Dotster

1/I don't understand your last sentence. => Could you elaborate ?
the whole list to
2/The biggest problem was in fact that after the move they were on "autorenew", and not on "manual". I don't find this logical. Is this the faul of domain.com or the seller who sent the whole list via ticket.
3/It was infact 20 days after the ticket and not 18 !!!!
4/ I will call them this is too much of a hassle, but in case they don't answer, I want to ask => How can I "reopen" a ticket at domain.com ????

Last edited:
•••
Yes I used ticket couple days ago - I had trouble finding it so I hacked the URL from my history

This link *should* redirect you to sign in, and then will redirect again to the Start New Ticket page *OR* login FIRST, then open a new tab and go to this link:
https://www1.domain.com/controlpanel/sconsole/new_ticket.bml

This trick works for all the domfam - Domain/MyDomain/NetFirms/Dotster, just replace the proper sibling in the URL

Also note there is a link at the UPPER RIGHT - Receive System Alerts via email
which I love so I don't have to login to check what's going on with the ticket

1/Do you know how to reopen a closed ticket ?
2/ btw The domains arrived in my account on the 12-13th (depending of time zone). And were all renewed beore the 18th (the first expirydate). Srictly speaking there werdstill 4 days before expiry for the first domans, etc.... So these were at arrival domains later then 15 days before expiry. Of course they immediately renewed. And I checked, once a card is attached, you can't remove the card, and leave no card over. The only luck I had that on that particular card there was only 160 USD, and this (debit)card also stops end of february.

Thanks for yur reply, and eventual coming reply.

•••
1]
The placeholder card is my little hack explained here:
https://www.namepros.com/posts/5996706/

2]
My best guess is AutoRenew is the default, it is when you make new regs, not sure if the Seller had them set on AutoRenew *OR* when pushed they reset it to AutoRenew by default. I can actually test push some names to myself to find out, just gimme a week and I'll put it in the main thread.

3]
Their slow service works in your favor : grin :

4]
My ticket from the other day is not closed yet, and my old ones are months old, so I am not sure if there is a ticket re-opening time limit.
If you don't see a way to re-open the ticket, I would just start a new one and put the old ticket number in so they can at least refer back to it.
Personally, I prefer tickets to phone calls so I have a written record of the solution

•••
1]

2]
My best guess is AutoRenew is the default, it is when you make new regs, not sure if the Seller had them set on AutoRenew *OR* when pushed they reset it to AutoRenew by default. I can actually test push some names to myself to find out, just gimme a week and I'll put it in the main thread.

3]

4]
My ticket from the other day is not closed yet, and my old ones are months old, so I am not sure if there is a ticket re-opening time limit.
If you don't see a way to re-open the ticket, I would just start a new one and put the old ticket number in so they can at least refer back to it.
Personally, I prefer tickets to phone calls so I have a written record of the solution

Thanks for the info. About 4 => I can use phone and ticket together.Becasue there's a written ticket of 24 days ago i can refer to.

•••
1]

2]

3]

4]
My ticket from the other day is not closed yet, and my old ones are months old, so I am not sure if there is a ticket re-opening time limit

Answer to nr 2 => The seller just PM'd and told me that autorenewal was OFF !!!!!! before .asking for the movement of the domains. So during the move DOMAIN.COM it was changed to "autorenewal", what is "NOT DONE" in my opinion.

•••
For issue #2, I did finally test this and YES anytime a domain is pushed between domfam - Domain/MyDomain/NetFirms/Dotster accounts, the AUTORENEW is changed to ON

Updated Main thread and repeating here for simplicity
https://www.namepros.com/posts/6122035/

AUTO Renew after push

I noticed when I have pushed with or without transfer/renewal that the domain is changed to AUTO renew, even if I had it set to MANUAL before push.

So be sure to change it back to MANUAL after it is moved, if of course you want it manual. If I am doing a bunch, I wait until they are all done then do it with the BULK function.

PS This is an important reminder if you sell a domain, you can let the buyer know also so they are not caught off-guard either.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back