Dynadot

Ready to Quit!

NameSilo
Watch
Have'nt been able to sell a domain in months and I'm getting very frustrated. Have sent out hundreds of emails to potential endusers and not one reply of interest. Meanwhile tons of very odd domains are being sold everyday for thousands. This business is not treating me well at all. I just dont know what gives or what I'm doing wrong. :yell:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hey Rob,

As a owner of several domains and never sold one so far (but i am eager to do), i can feel you...:)

I even had no chance so far to contact some enduser ......yeah, i admit it is sort of lazyness....

But......your name is Rob right?.....as a matter affect, right now i have rob.vg on sale...hit me if you are interested, (you could be my 1st prospect).... :hehe:

Cheers,

Frank

•••
In domain business patience is the key even though I treat domaining as a hobby.

•••
Thanks for the replies and pm's. I have found a new inspiration through this thread and a pm I received :)

Love this place :)

•••
HasRob said:
Thanks for the replies and pm's. I have found a new inspiration through this thread and a pm I received :)

Have you thought about repricing your names?

•••
Repricing my names? No, I have different price sets on each aftermarket with the exception of sedo where they are all set to make offer.

•••
AHA7 said:
You're not doing anything wrong!
It's all about interest. I bet if you post your domains for sale here you won't get more than reg fee for most of them.

If someone is interested in your domain, then he may be willing to pay grands for it even though others won't pay you $10 for it!

Domaining == luck (1st)
Domaining == experience (10th)
:imho:

This is about the most accurate statement I have ever heard about domaining. People at Namepros.com are wise, shrewd, stingy, tight, savvy, educated, and more! They know your domains are worth more, but aren't going to pay your anything near what it is worth.
They know you (any seller NP) needs money more than they do at the given moment (any buyer at NP). They know if they wait, you will break down, and nearly give away your domain, or at least sell it at a loss. :yell:

Frank (another tightwad)

liquidcherry said:
Hey Rob,

As a owner of several domains and never sold one so far (but i am eager to do), i can feel you...:)

I even had no chance so far to contact some enduser ......yeah, i admit it is sort of lazyness....

But......your name is Rob right?.....as a matter affect, right now i have rob.vg on sale...hit me if you are interested, (you could be my 1st prospect).... :hehe:

Cheers,

Frank

Aw Frank... That's cold. Hitting up on man when he is down.... He wants to sell domains, not buy more!!! You have been banned from the Frank name!!

Frank The good one

not the below the belt Frank (you!) Ha!! :yell:

Last edited:
•••
LOL, I'm not giving anything away. We all have our own thoughts on the value of our domains and I wont sell for less then that.

•••
I've never had much luck selling names myself for high prices. Biggest sale this year was $600 I think. Still, sold several hundred for mid XX-low XXX. Reinvesting profits has proven to be far more profitable for me than hunting down endusers.

I wish you all the best Hasrob. As some have suggested, it may be best to treat it as a hobby for now. I still treat domaining as a hobby -- that's what makes it so fun :) I can do it when I want, for whatever amount of time I want, decide how much I make by the time I put in,...

•••
Rob, why don't you trade some of your domains in for some more liquid names? Get some good LLLL.coms, LLL.net, LLL.info names. Good quality LLLL.coms are appreciating in value and you can make an easy 25% on investment in 3 months time. Liquid names are much better than brandable or keyword names in that they don't require much time or effort to sell; you always have ready buyers here at the forums

•••
Hi Rob! :)

I don't know the answer (there are no purely right or definitely wrong answers, as far as I can tell) ... but I'll share what has worked for me of late (partnered in the successful sale of an .ORG for $X,xxx (each), sales of two "Career" domains (one a .COM and one a .NET for mid $Xxx combined), and $500 with the sale of a local politician's .COM name domain): I completely trimmed my portfolio and concentration in dumping what I perceived to be dogs over the long-term (obviously considering the $ renewals fees and potential for payoff), I partnered with folks who knew more about the respective domain niches that served those domains than I, and I concentrated on super "Quick Sales" at the Wholesale level (most notably, .MOBI's (now entirely in the black in this category!)) and targeted marketings - yet short and to the point - to End users for better names, at least those in my perception! The rest I strategically forwarded to my other developed domains for additional traffic and marketing purposes, IMHO. :gl:
I think, at least for me, that less is more ... less domains / domain management / time etc. and renewal fees for more concentrated holdings and commitment to End user marketings! :talk:

Researching Google, Whois.sc, etc. for End users, and then contacting those End users consistently with reasonable Asking prices (no shame in lowering Asking prices in order to improve the close ratio, in my view), is my strategy going forward - .COM's and .ORG's, primarily! :yell: :imho:

Developing, of course, all the while ... :gl:
All the best,
-Jeff B-)

•••
Thanks Jeff, I hear what you say loud and clear my friend. I have found it hard to find a "partner" here. Someone I can trust and respect ya know? But mainly because those who I've asked are already busy with other projects and to be honest I dont bring much to the table. I have a few domains with great ideas for development I know would be profitable, but no funds, no design skills and no partner basically equals wish me luck.

Another problem I have is watching too much tv and coming up with domain names "I think" "Eventually" someone will want. Like tonight, I watched this show on private jets, jet charters and luxury business jets which has open seats people are able to jump in not only the seat but own shares etc. See netjets.com and skyjet.com (these guys had the right idea) And how luxury jet charters are the wave of the future getting away from all major airlines. So what did I come up with? Jetousine.com LOL Another $6.99 with coupon code down the drain? Maybe, but I like it :)

Thanks again gang :)

•••
I started domaining a year ago with just $8. All I ever had was a laptop and internet connection.

With that $8, I registered tendersale(.)com and sold it to a member here for $60. Then I registered a couple more, and resold it for $30 here and there, and started making some very small sales ($60) at Sedo. Over the months I also made small sales of XX at other forums such as DP, and Sitepoint.

Then I got fed up of making small sales, and started putting all my eggs in 1 basket. I believe its much better to own 1 superb domain rather than to own 100 reg fee names.

Thus after 1 year, I now own domains like DBR(.)net.

The thing is, don't compare yourself to the big LUCKY full time domainer guys or else it does feel rather demotivating. But just keep on telling yourself you will be there someday. Just make sure that you are improving little by little each day.

Another thing about domains is, its not just buying, selling or developing. Doing just that will get you somewhere, but I believe its more than just that. You need some niche skills. I see some people are good at catching drop names, some are good at negotiating to end users, some are good at getting traffic names for parking, others are good at developing and placing affiliates codes with adsense.

Even in developing, there are many niche's. Some develop full fledge sites, some develop useful sites such as estibot, namebio. Some others develop blogs, some develop content sites and etc.

By the way, have you watch the video on my sig link ?

•••
Yofie, sashas, Jeff all great posts! :tu:

Abstracts.tv said:
People at Namepros.com are wise, shrewd, stingy, tight, savvy, educated, and more! They know your domains are worth more, but aren't going to pay your anything near what it is worth. They know you (any seller NP) needs money more than they do at the given moment (any buyer at NP). They know if they wait, you will break down, and nearly give away your domain, or at least sell it at a loss.
:hehe: I have been realizing this of late.

HasRob said:
Another problem I have is watching too much tv and coming up with domain names "I think" "Eventually" someone will want.
The neverending compulsiveness of a domainer :) (while I was typing this post I checked to see if "compulsiveness" & "compulsivity" were available... no surprise both taken, checked whois to see if they were being tasted, they weren't)

•••
why you so hurry? just be more patience, it is not a short term lottery game that you buy a ticket today and ready to hit a jackpot tomorrow. I have never sent emails to other people to sell my domains, I just keep my domains parking and waiting, and there are always some big deals come to me every year, though only once a deal per year but it is enough to me. :)

•••
HasRob said:

Great to see the optimism. You get those down days every now and again. B-)

Agreed. It is a great forum.

•••
me , well some of my names are long term bets , 3dtvs.tv , robohire.com hirerobot.com , bothire.com hirebots.com , solarhire.com online3dtv.com , i have accepted this will be long term for me ....... so i guess i can say sometimes it takes time ...... but yes it is amazing how much gets sold , but no one grabs yours , i think luck has a bit to do with it and also name choice of course ........ i do not wish to tell you how much wasted money i have put into domain names ... but i still have faith. Because i still think this is a great way to invest , i truely wish you well , maybe buy a good quality aftermarket domain name ????? to restore your faith

•••
Jot down a list of all the people that have bought from you before and offer them the option of buying from you again, you have already the relationship there. Ask them what their needs and wants are? perhaps if you don't have something they want you could find it for them! :)

•••
I had been domaining for like 4 years plus. First 1 and 2 years I bought like 20+ domains and some sold for low $xx I think I got fed up and left namepros for like nearly a year then I am back here last year end and continue my domaining path. All i can say is that I make no profit in domaining but I treat them more as a hobby then a business. Nobody around me (friends, parents, buddies) understand about domains.

All I can say is love the domains treat them like your puppy and one day they will grow up and become DOG. That's the time to make a sales.

•••
What a great thread, fine posts & valuable advice from the experts. I have also all but stopped registering new names, because I've found it's much better to have a trimmed portfolio of domains that are obviously good ones than to waste hundreds if not thousands each year renewing / registering second-rate names, or purely speculative names. Say, keep a portfolio of about 50 speculative names such as marsrealestate.com ;) , just to indulge, that'll only cost you about $500 per year to renew and who knows....

But I've found that purchasing generics and LLL/LLLL domains is a more surefire way to make some sales and keep things profitable.

AHA7 said:
It's all about interest. I bet if you post your domains for sale here you won't get more than reg fee for most of them.

If someone is interested in your domain, then he may be willing to pay grands for it even though others won't pay you $10 for it!

I also second this. Selling surplus names here for $xx is good for trimming the portfolio, but it's worth waiting for that motivated buyer for your better names.

That's why appraising is hard, too. MarsRealEstate.com would be worth low $xx in the reseller market, but if someone actually decided to set up a mars colony and sell the condos, they would pay $xx,xxx for it.

There are always long periods of time with no offers, unless you've got one hell of a portfolio. Then you may get several offers within a week.

That's when it might just be the time to move the goods, if it's a domain that has never before received an offer, consider selling for a very reasonable price, it might be the last offer you'll ever get for that domain. Use that money to buy a generic/LLL/CVCV.com and so forth.

One thing I think is not given enough attention on this forum, is profit per hour of work done. A lot of folks are spending many hours each day (or night) researching and registering domains, yet only make a modest sale every once in a great while. If you only make a $1k sale once a year and spend 1,000 hours domaining, that's a lousy salary by any standards. That time would be better spent with the family, outdoors, or working toward a promotion in your day job.

...or possibly developing. Development is good because once you get the site going, it will keep producing some income, which will accumulate over the years and eventually the cumulative income will have justified the long hours you've put in the project.

Also, don't forget ccTLD's. I have invested mostly in those in the past year, and they are surely the dotcoms of tomorrow. My best parking revenue and income from developed minisites are all from generic ccTLD's. Also, in many ccTLD's, true generics are still available for registration, but not for long!

Good luck!
Josh

•••
HasRob said:
:) But really could use low xx,xxx :)

Rob...I know the feeling mate ! despite getting $500, 800, 1000 intial offers on some of my names over the year its been ages since my last decent low to mid x,xxx sale.

Its hard going if you don't have a decent budget to play with even though there are some fantastic success stories of people starting out with nothing, Sashas and Giode are two very fine examples of that here at NamePros :tu:

Luck is most definetly a factor to a certain extent, eg: the other day I would have bought D u b a i Y a c h t s _c*m for less than $300 if the luvely Mr FS (C a y m a n s) was'nt in the bidding ! the same thin happened for
D u b a i C r u i s e . c * m :'(

(one of my domaining idols just kicked my poor cheap ass once again :lol: )

However, I am VERY happy with some of the names I have managed to get this year in the drops considering the stiff competition :tu:

All I can suggest to you is

Aim in the $500 to $4000 max if you're trying to sell a brand new hand reg in the first year or two to an end user. (unless it is FANTASTIC)

Most weeks on DNJournal this is the most common price range of sales.

eg: DubaiPrivateIslands_c*m is nice but I would'nt say it was fantastic and it is very new. 10k starting price is too high unless you are willing to hold it for a number of years JMHO (listed on BuyDomains)

domainer50 said:
Overpricing? Take a look at how your pricing things maybe thats your problem.

Stick to .coms

eg: dubairealestate_c*m has had 36 offers (just on sedo) most of which were made in the last year.

My (2003) Dubairealestate_n*t has had 3 lowball xx offers in 2 years !

STICK to a managable limit, renewals can really eat a REALLY BIG hole in your profits (and time) - :sick: I cringe when I see how many domains some people have, great if they're selling often or are paying their reg fees each year which I suspect the vast majority don't.

...the....maybe the next name I buy will pay for all the others approach is VERY DANGEROUS IMO

I currently own around 250 and its far too much - serious trimming down is on the cards for me as I can't afford to hold them all !

If you have nice usuable names that are earning over their reg fee each month hold out for an enduser sale - don't sell based on a multiple of.

sashas said:
Rob, why don't you trade some of your domains in for some more liquid names? Get some good LLLL.coms, LLL.net, LLL.info names. Good quality LLLL.coms are appreciating in value and you can make an easy 25% on investment in 3 months time. Liquid names are much better than brandable or keyword names in that they don't require much time or effort to sell; you always have ready buyers here at the forums

This would appear to be one of the most immediate & lucrative areas....end user sales a far and few between, GREAT when they do happen but it requires a HUGE amount of faith and patience IMO

All in all, be patient - don't give up, just change tact if you feel things are not working out as you would like, as they say "there's always more than one way to skin a cat"

Best of Luck...keep the faith !

Disclaimer - No Animals where hurt or harmed in any way :)

•••
This game can be very frustrating. I find myself banging my head against the wall daily. Its not so much that i can't sell domains because i am not really trying to but that i can't find good domains to buy. Then i see noobs like sashas cleaning up making good sales and finding good domains and it drives me nuts. Everyone i talk to seems to want 100,000 for their domains. It sucks. Also not having much luck selling to end users when i try. Who even knows if i am contacting the right person in charge or not. One big sale or one good deal buy would be so nice right now to put me in a better place mentally about the whole biz.

•••
One thing I don't believe in when it comes to domaining is success by luck. Maybe a single nice sale, yes. But I believe "The harder I work, the luckier I get" pretty much sums this up. Sashas has worked very hard over the last few months to soak up as much info as many people here have learnt in years. More than anything, I see domainers crushed by unrealistic expectations. If you could consistently flip names for 20% profits each month, you could turn a 10k investment into $2 million in less than 3 years... It's not about making huge profits, it's about making consistent profits, month after month.

Jasonn said:
This game can be very frustrating. I find myself banging my head against the wall daily. Its not so much that i can't sell domains because i am not really trying to but that i can't find good domains to buy. Then i see noobs like sashas cleaning up making good sales and finding good domains and it drives me nuts. Everyone i talk to seems to want 100,000 for their domains. It sucks. Also not having much luck selling to end users when i try. Who even knows if i am contacting the right person in charge or not. One big sale or one good deal buy would be so nice right now to put me in a better place mentally about the whole biz.

•••
I guess I would have to disagree with just about every poster, If i were you i would rethink my business plan, I only looked at some of your posts of names for sale and it looks like you might be top heavy with brandable generics that probably dont get a lot of traffic or income (some look real good too)this puts a load on you financially. Being patient like everyone says may end up costinga pretty penny. I rarely reg domainer names, first domainers are the cheapest bunch of endusers there are, I include myself in this evaluation. most domainers are just as good when it comes to making up brandable names to use in a website. while I didnt want to i let some good names expire years ago that I know i could have sold for a good price today, but the problem is I had so many names I had to thin my portfolio, now i keep names that make over reg fee, my spec names based on future health plans congress is debating, and future generic tech names.
and I limit myself on generic brandables to keep costs down. I am not only in the black but make a decent profit every year. I have never bought a domain only reg them. One of the problems with brandable generics is there are thousands of domainers entering the domain market and regging a ton of made up names. Just as an example i randomly selected bluegoat redgoat greengoat all regged in several extensions
having a ton of made ups for sale brings down the price as its all domainers competing for the sales and some are just happy to sell for 25 dollars. I know you have been at this for a while and have your own strategies I am just relaying what has worked for me. My main business strategy is to reg names with traffic even if only a couple views a week and continue to increase my portfolio and income. as a side note i dont participate in drops or backorders either
Before taking any of my advice weight it carefully like i said i have lost a few really good sales because of names i let drop I would hate for that to happen to you
good luck
Joe
Rob out of curiousity about how many names do you carry?

Last edited:
•••
HasRob said:
LOL, I'd be a happy with a mid xx sale right now :) But really could use low xx,xxx :)

OutLawbiker, my portfolio is listed everywhere just about and you can see it at domainersbusiness.com in my sig.

I dont have too many great names but do have a few I'm glad I own. Eventually I know they will sell for some decent profit. Right now though is pretty tough not getting any replies to my emails and I've sent out hundreds as I mentioned.

Thanks for all the replies!

You should be happy with the fact that you are one of the few that hasn't been kicked off Bodis!

•••
Rob, most of us have periods like you are unfortunately having at the moment, I know I certainly have. But just take a minute and think about the world class athletes out there who have periods when they just cannot get it together, authors who have writers block, etc., the only thing you can do is just acknowledge that from this point on it can only get better and keep trying.

You have succeeded in the past, now is just a quiet time for you, but make use of this time to fine tune your strategies and portfolio. What would be a real waste is if you did not take advantage of the moment to better prepare yourself for tomorrow and all the days afterwards. You are obviously no quitter, you wouldn't have lasted 6 months in this business if you were, so like the world class athlete keep going, you might not win todays race, but who knows about tomorrows race............

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back