Dynadot

Ready to Quit!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Have'nt been able to sell a domain in months and I'm getting very frustrated. Have sent out hundreds of emails to potential endusers and not one reply of interest. Meanwhile tons of very odd domains are being sold everyday for thousands. This business is not treating me well at all. I just dont know what gives or what I'm doing wrong. :yell:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hang in there, I know the credit crunch in the US is affecting a lot of us right now. Everything I find is cyclical, whats cold today might be hot tomorrow :)

good luck, Gary.

•••
the economy is certainly cooling off and the domain industry is not immune. on the plus side a weaker dollar should give non-US buyers more purchasing power, but US centric domain portfolios may miss out on the upside potential.

•••
HasRob said:
Have'nt been able to sell a domain in months and I'm getting very frustrated. Have sent out hundreds of emails to potential endusers and not one reply of interest. Meanwhile tons of very odd domains are being sold everyday for thousands. This business is not treating me well at all. I just dont know what gives or what I'm doing wrong. :yell:

You're not doing anything wrong!
It's all about interest. I bet if you post your domains for sale here you won't get more than reg fee for most of them.

If someone is interested in your domain, then he may be willing to pay grands for it even though others won't pay you $10 for it!

Domaining == luck (1st)
Domaining == experience (10th)
:imho:

•••
I am enjoying the weak dollar, investing as much as I can :)
when it goes up again I will only win ;)

•••
I hear this. Back in July I was selling domains left and right, some for very nice prices. Since then, it's been dead for me. I've acquired some nice domains since then, but barely even receive any offers. The few domains I have sold have been $xx sales not even worth mentioning really.

Honestly, I'm starting to focus more on development. I have a few good ideas for sites, so I'm working on those. Also thinking about getting more into online marketing and affiliate programs. Its all related to an extent, but domains alone don't seem to be cutting it for me anymore.

I'd recommend doing the same. Just try to diversify a bit, explore other related areas and tie in your domaining experience with whatever you undertake. At the the end of the day, you'll be developing a vast skill set that has to be worth something, even if it seems our actual domains are not :)

•••
Last year, I had thoughts about giving up domaining. I'm glad I didn't though. Sales will come and go. I had a mid-xxx sale last month, and another in process this month after 4-5 dry months.
Make sure all of your domains are listed & categorized at as many places like sedo, fabulous, afternic, etc... that you can think of. You never know when you'll wake up to a nice email that someone has made you an offer.

Hang in there!

•••
yandig said:
Last year, I had thoughts about giving up domaining. I'm glad I didn't though. Sales will come and go. I had a mid-xxx sale last month, and another in process this month after 4-5 dry months.
Make sure all of your domains are listed & categorized at as many places like sedo, fabulous, afternic, etc... that you can think of. You never know when you'll wake up to a nice email that someone has made you an offer.

Hang in there!

Well, in my opinion a mid $xxx sale every few months in not worth the effort.

I agree with Ronald above that development is a good way to go. :imho:

•••
HasRob said:
If you wouldn't be offended, I'd be glad to give your portfolio a look and see if I just might be able to offer a little advice or pricing/marketing thoughts.
Send me a pm if interested.

•••
AHA7 said:
Well, in my opinion a mid $xxx sale every few months in not worth the effort.
It depends on what your goals are. But, it sounds to me like the original poster would be pretty happy with a mid-xxx sale right about now.

•••
Do not quit! I read through your post some tension.. cool mate, it's a cycle and I am sure this trouble will be over with a bit of patience from you. Holding precious domains will never hurt, just do not give up. Explore new niches, develop your domains, try to collect revenue from them sitting just in the corner. The end-user will come sooner or later if your domain is worth it.

•••
yandig said:
It depends on what your goals are. But, it sounds to me like the original poster would be pretty happy with a mid-xxx sale right about now.

LOL, I'd be a happy with a mid xx sale right now :) But really could use low xx,xxx :)

OutLawbiker, my portfolio is listed everywhere just about and you can see it at domainersbusiness.com in my sig.

I dont have too many great names but do have a few I'm glad I own. Eventually I know they will sell for some decent profit. Right now though is pretty tough not getting any replies to my emails and I've sent out hundreds as I mentioned.

Thanks for all the replies!

•••
•••
HasRob said:
LOL, I'd be a happy with a mid xx sale right now :) But really could use low xx,xxx :)

OutLawbiker, my portfolio is listed everywhere just about and you can see it at domainersbusiness.com in my sig.

I dont have too many great names but do have a few I'm glad I own. Eventually I know they will sell for some decent profit. Right now though is pretty tough not getting any replies to my emails and I've sent out hundreds as I mentioned.

Give the phone a shot. Start up a network of buyers. Do you save emails from past customers? Sell a couple on ebay to gain some interest. Submit some to the DomainTools.com Online auction on Dec 18th. SnapNames.com is having an online auction coming up as well. Moniker seems to be having them Weekly. TDNAM.com is good from time to time, and has low fees.

How much time are you sticking in daily? Are you only going after End users? They are the hardest to find. I might find 10 a yeat TOPS and I am a full-time domainer.

Think outside the box and things will work out. If you need any pointers, feel free to email me, pm me etc.

•••
HasRob said:

Don't worry! I am prepared to offer you 100 NP$ for DubaiPrivateIslands.com!! This sensational offer will not repeat.

•••
Well lets see.

I have all my domains listed at afternic, sedo, moniker. Biggest sale to date was $1,500 and that sold on ebay. Moniker is imho a joke. Why? Because they never once have awnsered any of my emails or replied to any of my domain submissions for auctions. I'm actually ready to close my account there but obviously they'll survive without me.

Afternic, have no problems with them just very little "L Visits" lately and zero offers.

Sedo, haha. Sold about 6 names through sedo but their CS reps seem to all be laid off all the time. And they ruined one sale for me because the broker went on vacation and never contacted the buyer to receive the funds after high xx amount of days and I actually had to cancel the sale.

Godaddy, I register all my domains through them but find TDNAM listing process a joke (one name at a time?) and theres like 50 billion domains there for my 80 or so to get lost in very easily so I wont even bother there.

And yes, I try for endusers on a few of my domains for a better profit and also try to sell some domains to other domainers for a smaller and fair profit. But none of the above seem to be working lately.

I may appear to be crying a little and I am. But what drives me even more insane then seeing the oddest names selling for thousands is hearing others here and there crying because there only making $4,000 a month on "one" of their parked domains labor free $$$$$$$$

Maybe this is a big league hobby/profession and I'm just not finanially able to accomplish what I'd like. Kinda like the stock market, it's either $7.00 a trade or $7.00 a domain.

•••
Same here. I own several domains. Never sold a single one.

•••
ablaye said:
Same here. I own several domains. Never sold a single one.

I never said I didnt sell any :) In fact, I dont have exact numbers but I'm on the plus side by atleast $4,000 so all my domains about 90ish are paid for plus some. But I want more :hehe:

On the development topic, I have tried talking to quite a few respectable namepros members about partnering up with me on a project but no luck. I tried one project on my own with a webdesigner who did the exact opposite of what I wanted. Shoulda just flushed that money down the toilet. And without design skills myself whats one to do really. I agree with the luck comment because I'm obviously going to need alot of it :imho:

•••
Rob, some stupid-long domain names are getting sold for thousands and hundreds. This should keep you hopeful. :)

Can you explain more why you have not worked on the development part? I might be able to help within my line of ability :D You say..you couldn't partner with member. What partnership can we do

•••
Personally I feel you do not need great design skills to develop your websites and make money from them, content is more important. Unless you have very good domains, sales are unlikely to be regular.

•••
People are more willing to boast about their success than admit their failures. Domaining is hard for a lot of people who wont talk. I respect you for being open about your struggles with domaining.

Rob, I'd advise you to assess your situation, compare the alternatives as to what you can do with your time and make a decision that you are proud to stick with. Comparing yourself to those who are successful is always depressing reguardless of whether it is domaining or something else. Don't stay in the past with the "what ifs". Look to your future.

I relate to some things I'm hearing. I am not good at developing and I also have been let down by people with similar work and see trusting others with developing as too risky. I have had very little success with approaching endusers and I don't bother with that approach.

I am not sure about my long term with domaining. At the moment I think I am moving towards treating it more of a hobby than an income opportunity and it's not an easy decision. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

•••
dnk said:
Personally I feel you do not need great design skills to develop your websites and make money from them, content is more important. Unless you have very good domains, sales are unlikely to be regular.

++Bingo! Content = Traffic = Clicks = Revenue. It's indeed more important. and I got to agree with you there.

•••
Personally, I think there are cycles of luck. The longest I've been without selling a domain is about 8 months. But then I sold about 12 domains in the next 4 months. Same modus operandi.

•••
Overpricing? Take a look at how your pricing things maybe thats your problem.

•••
Been a crappy month for me, last month was nice...

But then again, domaining isn't my job so I could careless if I make any sales.. the revenue on my domains pay the reg fee's + some so I haven't gone in the negative yet, just sitting back and waiting for the end user to come to me :)

Sounds kind of lazy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back