IT.COM

Qwest Law Dept. is on the case!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

yandig

Say DomainsTop Member
Impact
I registered mabell.info a couple of months ago. Out of 110 domains, it's probably my worst. Anyway, I got a letter from the Qwest Law Dept. Thanksgiving Eve, saying I was infringing on the BELL trademark, blah blah. So I have signed the paper saying that they can have the name transferred to them. (Just another reason why Qwest sucks)
Thing is, I registered the name at Dotster, and according to their policies, the free name can't be sold (i.e. transferred) for the remainder of the year from when I registered it.
Anybody have any experience in this type of situation?
Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Did a little research. Qwest was only formed in 1996. They later purchased US West in 2000, which was one of the orginal baby bells after the AT&T breakup. They are a distant descendant by purchase, but it looks pretty shakey to me as to the real strength of their claim. If the TM's are in US West name, they may have some claim.

http://www.qwest.com/about/investor/faq/

•••
Post it.

If confidentiality is not an issue for you, then please post QWEST's letter from its legal department, please.

•••
Couldn't you have said that the site was for a friend named "Mabell"? I know the correct spelling is "Mabel" but your friend could spell her name differently. ;)

•••
The letter from Qwest was sent via ups 2-day, not e-mail. I'm not going to type it out right now, as it is over a page in length. I will try to provide some more info in the next couple of days.

•••
•••
Not yet. Busy Busy!!
No action on Qwest's part as far as initiating transfer, though.

•••
I hate to say this but QWest's legal department is a pure joke. They go tackle domain owners, but allow hosting of hackers and criminal websites on their servers, as well as DOS attacks coming from their network.. They are 100% joke.

•••
ZuraX said:
Screw Quest. They are one of the biggest spam hosts around. You should have made them work for it.

If it was me I would have found someone with the last name Bell and asked them if they had wanted it for their "ma" :)

There are infinite possibilities. E.g. anyone with the first name Mabel and last name starting with L will have a legitimate use for it. And there maybe a few that are millionaires able/eager to pay. ;) :)

•••
davezan said:
Guys, don't forget yandig already signed the paper saying the name will be
transferred to them. If yandig reneges on that and it reaches UDRP, Qwest
can use that against yandig.

Or if it is a case of duress. ;)

•••
So, here's the latest...

I got an e-mail from the Qwest Law Dept. today, stating that I need to give them the transfer auth. code from my registrar, which I did. Then I get the e-mail from Tucows about the transfer instructions. When I read through the transfer agreement, it says:

"As consideration for the Services you have selected, you agree to pay
the RSP the applicable service fees. All
fees payable hereunder are non-refundable. As further consideration for the
Services, you agree to: (1) provide certain
current, complete and accurate information about you as required by the
registration process and (2) maintain and
update this information as needed to keep it current, complete and accurate. All
such information shall be referred to
as account information ("Account Information"). By submitting this Agreement,
you represent that the statements in your
Application are true, complete and accurate."

I want to transfer the name, but I definetly don't want to pay anything to do it, nor should I have to. What are the fees & who is responsible?

Does anybody have any experience here?
Thanks for your help

•••
You have GOT to be kidding ?!? Apologies for getting here late, but we are new to NP.

The true victim here is yandig. Wow, I had an extremely strong gut feeling, like bad chilli-concarne volcano bowel disruption cramps kinda feeling, that something was wrong on first glance. Qwest's claim is NOT legitmate, that is if it is coming from Qwest directly.

1) go to www.uspto.gov and do a trademark search for "mabell" and this is what you get: "Sorry, No results were found for your query." Trademark search for all "ma bell" are dead, "ma bell's" belongs to a potatoe chip company. Also, look at the history of the dead "ma bell" trademarks and find direct and indirect uses for the telecommunications industry not owned by Qwest.

2) go to mabell.net and other extensions to realize non-Qwest entities are using "mabell" domain names. Zurax comments are valid.

3) Qwest is considered a 'baby-bell'. AT&T may have some claim to the nickname of 'ma bell' if there are obvious similarities that infringe on their current product/services due to the long ago demise of Bell Telephone. Again, no trademark.

If yandig signed any papers, do those papers include any admission of wrong doing? Sneaky stuff intimidating somebody to unknowningly become false witness against themselves. However, an ambitious trial attorney would thrive on kicking Qwest in the teeth.

I ran this thread by our legal department and got nothing but smurks. Unusual for Qwest to deal with this directly and not a law firm representing Qwest. So unusual, it draws out warning flags. Law firms love to bill clients for any kind of work even remotely related to the client's interest. If this is Qwest, all information may be forwarded to the law firm that handles their intellectual property if they choose to pursue. Then again, the matter may be dropped. Upon close scrutiny, somebody at Qwest take the position that Qwest had to address a potential problem rather than acquiesce.

We would have immediately fired a 'cease and desist' letter with legitmate claim to file damages for 'interrupting business practices'. Yandig's content is a non-issue due to Qwest also being a competitor with no legitmate claim to 'mabell'.

We had a client that was approached by letter and by phone to relinquish their domain name. It was blatent fraud, and once confronted it stopped. Think of the cost the plaintiff has to go through and the threat of being counter-sued.

However, yandig's cooperation has lead to bigger problems. Unfortunate the ball is now in his court. In situations like this, cooperation does not exist. Qwest's position will always be the target (yandig) is either working with them or working against them. Changing web site content or even doing nothing would have been better than signing papers.

A little due diligence goes a long way.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back