IT.COM

discuss Questions Asked and Answered

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you think an ongoing Questions Asked and Answered thread would be a good idea?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • yes

votes
    40.0%
  • no

votes
    40.0%
  • not sure

vote
    20.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
Would it be easy to implement an ongoing thread called something like Questions Asked and Answered but the structure would be a little different than ordinary in that a post would either be a question or an answer with the answers appearing directly under the question it refers to. This is similar to many community help sites online. Also ideally some indicator would change when the person asking the question agrees it has been answered.

I think this might be an efficient way to discourage people from starting threads when really they just need help with one specific thing, and to allow people to easily see if something has been answered so multiple people don't spend time answering the same question.

So would be something like asking the following:

What are the NamePros rules about links in the signature line?

or

I can't figure out how to do a search just for 3 letter .co in NameBio?

or

I know it is easy but can't figure out how to turn off a payment plan on DAN.

I am not asking these specific questions (I think I know the answers :xf.wink:) but just to give the flavour of what I have in mind.

The idea would be to restrict this to questions that are largely factual, as opposed to opinion (do you think the zzz extension is a good investment).

What do people think?

Is it even possible to set up technically? Another way to set it up would be to have a section for it, but each question is its own thread. That seems possible now.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
the structure would be a little different than ordinary in that a post would either be a question or an answer with the answers appearing directly under the question it refers to. This is similar to many community help sites online. Also ideally some indicator would change when the person asking the question agrees it has been answered.
Is this similar to a website like Stack Overflow, but it would all be within a single thread?

What are some benefits of it all being in a single thread?

What you've described may be best suited for a curated thread where person(s) aggregate these types of questions and provide the best answers underneath each one. A thread that members can read and follow to learn new things.

Another way to set it up would be to have a section for it, but each question is its own thread. That seems possible now.
That's the goal of our Frequently Asked Questions section.

You can watch that forum for updates (new questions and/or responses).

We hope that helps.

•••
@Bob Hawkes .. Keeping things separate is better in the long term because it ironically makes finding the answers to such questions via search is much easier.

Having help be as easy to find as possible significantly reduces the load on moderation.

I think it's also beneficial to keep things as separate as possible for clarity reasons as well.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back