IT.COM

status-resolved Are domain news outlets + blog posts w/ comments section "mini domain communities"?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Are domain news outlets and blogs with comments section "mini domain communities"?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • yes (but should be allowed promote on Namepros)

votes
    0.0%
  • maybe

votes
    0.0%
  • I don't care. Back to domaining.

votes
    0.0%
  • What Namepros user do you suspect snitched on you? I want to know!

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
I had a post of mine recently red flag for mentioning (and by default because I mentioned it) a question I asked on a "ask a question. get an answer" website by Namepros. Usually I just chalk it up as "no big deal. Understood. Sorry." and call it a day but this particular incident makes me question the rules a bit so I figured let me put it to the community.

I recently posted that I had asked several questions on a popular "Ask a question. Get an answer" website.
I did not think it was a big deal. I did not really think of this website as an "community" but I guess it is in hindsight. (I'm an idiot lol)

But the main reason my post was red flagged was because this community has questions pertaining to domaining and the rule on Namepros is that you cannot promote or advertise any domain community.

Fair enough. Understood. Delete the thread I worked hard to write. All good.

This other website I mentioned isn't exactly a "domain community" per se it's an "ask a question. get an answer" website. I guess by definition that is a community that just so happens to have several domain questions asked.

eehhh whatever. just let the thread be deleted. I don't care.

But what I do care about now is the definition of "domain community" because if the only reason my thread was red flagged was because I asked a question on this website and told people about it here on Namepros and requested their answers.

Then how is that any different from all domain blogs on here who post articles and such that contains "domain questions" and generally asking the entire domaining community to answer it AND................... have a comment section at the bottom where linked minded people can post their comments and ANSWERS to whatever questions are posed within the article?

I mean some of these blogs and news sites for you to post in the comments you are even required to be logged in using your email account. You log in just like you would an online community just to post an answer.

Wouldn't that effectively mean that these websites are "mini communities" related to domaining?

I mean if we are going to be picky about what is a "domaining community" wouldn't Domaining News outlets or blogs having a "comment feature" at the bottom be considered a "mini community" of like minded individuals willing to give their input about a particular question in an article or simply the article itself?

Let's be honest many of these domain news outlets and blogs we all at some point have visited and "flocked" to when they send to press some new article about the latest news about the domain industry.

I don't know about you but the word "flock" to me tells me a bunch of people go to that website ergo forming a "group" or "community" and if you put a comment on each article where people need to login just to post a comment or reply.

Some even have a feature where they will notify you if someone commented on your comment.

If that's not the essence of "community" then I don't know what is.

fyi. The thread that triggered this opinion poll (i suspect) was reported by someone who took issue to the creation of thread. You all know who this is.

I tried to help you guys. The questions I asked had no self promotion benefits for me.

And now because ( I suspect) someone reported it. This thread is probably deleted or modified. (might as well be deleted as I won't bother updating it at this point.)

That thread was designed to help Namepros users promote their domains but if it really broke the rules of Namepros then I formally apologize.

I have no issues with existing rules that have been set up way before I ever signed up here.

But I think the question of "What is a domaining community?" really needs to be looked into again.
If someone asked a question on a classified website ( I can't even mention one for fear this thread will get red flagged again.) but I'm sure you all know of a huge one that ends in "list".

Mind you this classified has multiple topics and subjects.

So because it has one or two or 10 or 20 questions pertaining to domaining.

It's automatically a domaining community?

Is it a classified website first?
or a domaining website first?

or does it matter?

seems to be no matter what because some website has "domain" content even if someone just asked a question on it and people interact with that question by answering or commenting.

I mean heck websites like Dynadot and Flippa have their own forums where domainers can chat.

Does that mean we can't create domain auctions located at these external websites BECAUSE they have forums where a "community" can discuss domains?

How many other domain auction platforms have domain forums in them? Think of any?

I swear that sounds like how Domain blogs and news sites create articles that poses a "question" to it's readers and then that article at the bottom has a comment section where people MUST log in just to post a comment.

so should domain blogs and news outlets be considered in an of themselves "mini domaining communities"?

FYI. not here to make trouble for domain blogs or news sites. I read many of them and appreciate their hard work. This is not about them. I really could care less what those sites do as they should do whatever they want to do for their business and I applaud them for that. Kudos!

I'm just here to get some clarification as to what exactly defines an "domain community".

basically as per my red flag by mods.

Any website can be considered a "domaining community" if it has a domain question is asked on it and an answer is expected or requested.

That would mean we would be restricted from mentioning a whole bunch of websites on here. I mean if we are to take the Namepros rules to the letter of the law and to be fair then technically Domain news outlets and blogs should never be mentioned on here or be allowed to freely operate on here and promoting their content IF their articles contains a comments section below each of them.

Or domain auction platforms that clearly have domain forums in them.

(This is absurd of course! but just trying to make a point here.)

So please share your opinion. Pick one.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Delete the thread I worked hard to write.
It's still publicly accessible and has not been modified in any way, but it is archived (e.g., can't receive new comments).

Then how is that any different from all domain blogs on here who post articles and such that contains "domain questions" and generally asking the entire domaining community to answer it AND................... have a comment section at the bottom where linked minded people can post their comments and ANSWERS to whatever questions are posed within the article?
Fortunately, neither of those are considered domain communities in most circumstances.

For rule 1.29, communities are formed by how a user base interacts with each other and not by the type of user base. For instance, most domain blogs and domain marketplaces have a domain-related user base but do not have a community. Interactions and features that create a community are the ability to join groups, follow users, subscribe to tags or interests, express reactions or ratings, create user-generated discussions beyond comments, etc. A website is more likely to be considered a community based on the amount of these features that it supports.

Here's an explanation of why the rule exists:

We hope that helps.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back