Dynadot

Question about GoDaddy Renewal and Auction

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

JYL

Impact
I've been trying to buy a nice domain name for my personal website. A few days ago, I stumbled upon a .co domain that's my three letter initials. Upon checking the Whois, I was pretty stunned to see that the Expiration Date is Jan 14 2018: puu . sh/zroQJ/a8169ff5a6.png

I started doing some research especially on dot co domains and how GoDaddy deals with domains that are in the renewal phase and preparing to go to deletion phase.

According to GoDaddy, as of 02/19/2018, it is on the 36th day of expiration. That means we just finished the "expired domain auction" phase, and is entering the "closeout auction" phase. **EDIT**: okay I'm not so sure about this one because this chart is for .com domains, not .co

An issue I found was, I've been monitoring the GoDaddy auction the past few days, and never found that specific domain in the auction. I also was not able to find out what this closeout auction is (Google doesn't give me any links to a GoDaddy closeout auction).

I've called GoDaddy support a few times, and other than recommending the backordering service (which I did purchase, along with Snapname and Namejet), it didn't give me much more information that I didn't already know.

So my question is:

1. Other than praying my backorder works, is there anything else I could do to better secure this domain?

2. Should I expect that this domain will enter deletion phase in a few days (around day 42)? I've been looking at a few other expired domains, and it seems it enters back into the registry all in varying days. Sometimes domains enter back into the registry in ~50 days past expiration. Some enter back in in ~70 days from expiration. So it seems there's no one static number.

2. How come this domain didn't appear in the expired/closeout auction?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Back