Dynadot

Problems, Bugs and Fixes at Afternic - Report Problems Here

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I suggest a new thread titled Problems, Bugs and Fixes at Afternic - Report Problems Here. Then we can all list our issues so Afternic have to fix them. These Afternic probs have been repeatedly flagged up across numerous threads on here over a period of time, including the need for 2FA. Godaddy own Afternic and have the resources and motivation to fix it - this risky mess is unacceptable and reflects badly on their brand.

For info, Afternic keep reverting some of my domains to "In Review" status for no reason, and I only know that if I log in there to check on them. Until I then ask support to take them out of Review they are not listed for sale and will not sell at Afternic.

@Joe Styler When can we expect Godaddy to take action on Afternic, including implementing 2FA?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
And my bank account is still frozen due to GoDaddy knowingly falsifying the payment details of my Afternic payment, with no apparent recourse in sight for salvaging the account at this point...

Practically all my problems as a domainer are caused by Afternic/GoDaddy. It's like this entity thinks the way to make profit is to inflict problems on and waste the time of their users. If only they knew that they could be making a lot more money by providing trustworthy, functional, professional and responsive services to their users.

One day I can't log in to Afternic, then GoDaddy steals a domain from my account to put in their own portfolio, then GoDaddy makes it harder for me to transfer out domains (as a security measure after they stole a domain from me. The irony seems lost on them though...) then domains get de-listed from my Afternic account by a user with super privileges, then Afternic doesn't send out the payment anywhere near a timely manner, then 80% of my Afternic listings get stuck in "in review", then GoDaddy lies to my bank so that my bank account gets frozen, then Afternic is unable to remove outdated listings so that I can list a newly bought domain, then an Afternic broker sells a domain for less than what I approved, then GoDaddy doesn't automatically refund the payment for a domain I bought in Auctions that got renewed, then Afternic doesn't save new listings, then Afternic doesn't send out fast-transfer emails, then Afternics fast-transfer doesn't work, then CS or AN support tells me a blatant lie, etc. etc. etc. I keep experiencing these and countless other issues.

And the worst part is that these issues are not going away in the foreseeable future, they are just way too entrenched in the way these companies are operated, and they show no commitment to thoroughly fixing them. The deception and difference is not going away. Anyone who's a "power user" (i.e. full time domainer) of these companies is bound to encounter a torrent of problems non-stop. Being an Afternic/GoDaddy user is just a never ending loop of these kinds of issues, and as domainers we simply have to slog through one battle after another, ad infinitum, constantly wasting precious time (time, aka money).

Same goes for this thread. Just a waste of time reporting Afternic issues. How much better is Afternic as a result of the hundreds of posts in this thread? Afternic is a hydra, and for the few issues that did get solved, a dozen new ones popped up in their place. The website seems more dysfunctional and closer to falling apart than ever, I don't even manage to log in a lot of the time these days. While I would like to secure my AN account with 2FA, I fear the implementation would likely be so shoddy that I simply would get locked out of my account. But they really should work on better security. Afternic.com even tends to load with unencrypted http a lot of the time, so that log in details are sent in plain text! It's 2018 and they can't even get their website to consistently use https connection... And, it was officially announced that NO further updates improvements/fixes/updates to the Afternic site would be made in 2018, because apparently it's not important to deal with a platform so full of bugs that it can generate a 700+ post thread, so reporting issues here that won't be fixed is truly a pointless exercise. Yet I find myself partaking in that pointless exercise over and over again for some reason. That's how frustrated I am, and just shows you how little we can do, besides ineffective forum venting. Apologies for the meaningless GoDaddy/Afternic rant, but I'm just so fed up with with how poorly these companies are treating their users that are lining their pockets...

•••
I haven't been able to login to Afternic in 5-7 days due to the "connection not encrypted/secured etc" thing, on all browsers.

Am I the only one?

Thanks

•••
•••
•••
•••
@Joe Styler - here is one more bug. Noticed last week.

After I add a domain (a number of domains in one batch if that matters) - then for _some_ domains the system fails to determine current registrar (The registrar field is not visible by default - but can be set in "display columns" config). Such domains are marked as pending review, and remain in this status forever. Moreover, if the domain is eligible for fast transfer - then this fact is also completely missed, as the registrar value is empty in afternic db.

I will of course email service@ with the list of domains in question - and someday they will respond with something hopefully positive - but this new bug does not appear to be domain- or account-specific. Can it be fixed once and globally?

•••
Got a couple of these today

ATTENTION MOMD,

ACTION NEEDED: Set a price f

Dear MOMD,

You have received a sales lead on ********.com through Afternic's network.

A lead indicates that someone is interested in the domain, but is not prepared to buy it yet.
In order to proceed with this buyer, please take the following steps now:

1. Set a Floor Price and Buy Now price in the next 48 hours.
To remain a robust marketplace of premium domain names for both buyers and sellers, we require
that every domain have a Floor Price and Buy Now Price within 48 hours of receiving a sales lead.

The Buy Now Price is the price you want for your domain and at which it is promoted.
Your domain sells immediately when a buyer meets the buy now price.
The Floor Price is the absolute minimum price at which you are willing to sell your domain.
It is a binding price.

@Joe Styler you require us to set a bin in 48 hours to remain robust?

Your not strong and healthy, your entire system is hurt. Never compliments, just complaints.
When are you going to start fixing stuff, including arca's complaint of having the proper wording in invoices. Very troubling you can't fix this issue, fix that. It's not advertising
I still see 50 domains per page in domain manager maximum, that's :xf.frown:
Also I have 9 columns per name, but can only see 6 without scrolling sideways. That's robust?
Only one .ca stuck in pending review .today I know what to do Joe :xf.rolleyes:

•••
I know what Joe will say..

"This is not something we are going to fix anytime soon" :xf.grin:

•••
I got an e-mail from Afternic two days ago that one of my names had sold via fast transfer. Meanwhile, two days later the domain is still in my registrar account at NameSilo -- it obviously hasn't been "fast transferred" to the buyer.

I just e-mailed Afternic about it, but wanted to mention it here, too.

•••
I sold a domain via fast transfer last month, registered at NameSilo. The domain did not move automatically.

I messaged the TA agent more than a dozen times, notifying them that the transfer was stuck. The TA agent did not have the courtesy of apologizing for the delay in transferring the domain, let alone provide any updates, or even tell me they were aware of the issue. In fact, while I tried numerous times to get Afternic to move the domain to the buyer in a timely manner, the TA agent did not reply me a single time. Complete radio silence. This has happened several times in the past. And when I do get a reply from TA agents, they tend to reply with a level of snark that is just unbelievable. They're earning a 20% commission o

I don't understand why Afternic workers would be so antagonistic towards sellers and buyer, refusing to respond to sellers, or responding rudely, and refusing to move domains to buyers in an expedient manner. They work for sellers and buyers, but it feels like they work against us. The domain was moved via fast transfer after several weeks had passed by, and without the TA agent ever responding or providing any updates.

I've also had domains registered at namesilo sell via fast-transfer and transfer just fine both before and after that, so I'm not sure why it affects some domains and not others. I really hope that it won't affect any domains in the future, because dealing with Afternic's TA agents is just really frustrating when they don't reply, and unpleasant when they do.

I've also emailed [email protected] with basic requests, and they struggle more than ever with basic tasks. For example, when I'm contacting them about removing already listed domains I've won in auctions, it goes like this:

Arca: Please remove these the outdated listings for these domains.
Nearly a week passes by.
Afternic: The domains have been removed.
Arca: Please check again, you did not remove all the domains. I'm still not able to list the domains.
Nearly a week passes by.
Afternic: We have removed the domains.
Arca: Sorry to ask again, but you have still not removed these domains!
Another week passes by.
Afternic: We have removed the domains.
And they do indeed manage to do it eventually. But why does it have to take so many weeks, and so many emails? It would be wonderful if they could respond within 24 hours and actually have fixed what I asked them to fix.

We're doing Afternic a favor by notifying them of outdated listings. If a listing by a former domain owner sells, the seller won't be able to fulfill the sale due to not owning the domain anymore. Its a bad experience for the buyer, and tarnishes the image of the registrar where he bought it. And we, as the new domain owner, lose out on sales opportunities (and Afternic lose out on potential commission fees) when we can't get some domains listed on Afternic. Everyone loses. They should be jumping at the opportunity to remove outdated domain listings and cleaning up their marketplace. Why are they dragging their feet and putting so little effort into removing old listings?

And recently when I contact [email protected] about domains stuck in "in review", they just respond that my account has no domains stuck in "in review." But there are clearly domains stuck in "in review" status. So I contact them again. They deny it again. I contact them again with screenshots of every single domain stuck in "in review", and they finally admit that they are stuck in review and fix it. I understand that denying that there is any issue is the fastest way to deal with a customer support email at that moment, but it's such a self-sabotaging way to deal with an issue. Someone from Afternic will have to deal with the issue eventually. And as long as the domain is stuck in "in review" they won't be able to earn a commission on those domains. Afternic staff seem to forget that Afternic is in the business of facilitating the sales of domains, not blocking the sales of domains...

And my bank account remains frozen due to Afternic's lies to my bank. I don't know what will happen to it eventually, but from reading about other's experience in various forum, I fear that it's going to be terminated. A check that was supposed to last a few days would not last this long if they thought my proof was okay (though since I had no way to prove GoDaddy's lies, I obviously understand why they haven't unfrozen my account).

I've opened a new bank account with another bank and just received my first fraudulent payment of "online advertising income" from GoDaddy... How long is it going to be before GoDaddy gets this bank account frozen too? As a brand new customer, I fear that it won't be too long. I have no way of proving GoDaddy's lies. So I have no choice but to open a third and fourth bank account to prepare for that eventuality. Why does GoDaddy insist on falsifying payment details when they pay international sellers? I don't understand why they insist on being such a dishonest company. We're living in a world of strict KYC, AML, and other regulations, yet GoDaddy is set on lying and getting international seller's bank account's frozen. I just don't understand the thinking behind how they are operating these two companies. It's like they think they'd go bankrupt if they provided good honest service to users.

•••
I sold a domain via fast transfer last month, registered at NameSilo. The domain did not move automatically.

My recent experience with NameSilo-regged domain on Afternic is different, and even more strange. The domain was sold using fast transfer, and was indeed instantly transferred from Namesilo, whois is updated and shows somebody who must be the buyer then, but the sale simply cannot be found in sales history / "sold domains" part of my afternic account. Nor did Afternic sent me an email about the sale. I just received transfer-away notification from NameSilo. It is now marked as "sold" if I perform a portfolio search on afternic, so it is definitely afternic-powered sale, however there is no way to view sale details such as transfer type (auto) or transfer status (completed), or to view payout status (not yet scheduled), or to send a message to transfer agent on this one, etc.

Anybody experienced the same? Is it another glitch?

Cc @Joe Styler

Last edited:
•••
@Arca,so sorry to hear about your bank acc being locked .Sometimes I wish there is a way to move all my names away for a day but don't see anywhere to download all my names from there .I simply call them since I'm here and tell them to delete name and it's down as I realized it takes longer for them to even reply by their contact form. What a terrible service .Wonder the kind of people who work there and why they don't improve on theit platform.Someday soon ,I'm moving all my names and either they contact me through godaddy buy service if names are there in my account at Godaddy or my names get found elsewhere .I just cant imagine what you are going through .Hope it works out better.

•••
My recent experience with NameSilo-regged domain on Afternic is different, and even more strange. The domain was sold using fast transfer, and was indeed instantly transferred from Namesilo, whois is updated and shows somebody who must be the buyer then, but the sale simply cannot be found in sales history / "sold domains" part of my afternic account. Nor did Afternic sent me an email about the sale. I just received transfer-away notification from NameSilo. It is now marked as "sold" if I perform a portfolio search on afternic, so it is definitely afternic-powered sale, however there is no way to view sale details such as transfer type (auto) or transfer status (completed), or to view payout status (not yet scheduled), or to send a message to transfer agent on this one, etc.

Anybody experienced the same? Is it another glitch?

Cc @Joe Styler
Yet another Afternic issue has been born... I just experienced the EXACT same thing, so I assume this would affect a lot of people at this moment.

NameSilo-regged domain sold.

Zero notifications from Afternic. The domain is not listed as sold on my dashboard. It's not "registered" as a sale there in any way.

The only thing that tipped me off was the NameSilo transfer out email (thank goodness that some domain industry companies consistently work as they are supposed to). The name is listed as sold when I search for it in my Afternic portfolio list. There is no doubt this was an Afternic sale. The domain is now with buyer at GoDaddy. So will we still get paid automatically and on time, even though the domain sale didn't register in their system?

Nothing works consistently at Afternic. I don't understand how they can insist on leaving everything in such disarray when the platform is a dysfunctional mess. Day after day, it's issue after issue after issue, and all GoDaddy does is announce that they will fix nothing and make no further updates for the rest of 2018...

•••
Probably why they don’t fix it is because they don’t have to.
People have issues and continue to use them so their getting money
Hopefully you get yours

•••
I removed all my names from Afternic recently and even that wasn’t easy and am now trying Undeveloped. I would be very careful to keep track of those fast transfers.

Some idiot kept trying to add several of my domains to fast transfer and I just decline every time. Why any fool can try to fast transfer someone else's names I don’t know.

The archaic website doesn’t instill confidence in the least. It’s so outdated and glitchy they should be ashamed of it. But somehow they are not. They should have the best interface. The reason they don’t feel the need to improve is simple. They don’t have to. I will take my chances elsewhere.

•••
The domain is now with buyer at GoDaddy.
Yes, exactly. The lost sale I had is also with GD now. So it may (or may not) be namesilo->godaddy channel that has issues. I emailed service@afternic yesterday, heard nothing back so far...

•••
I have my names on Afternic but mostly for a preventative measure to keep others from adding them there to their own portfolios and that hopefully will help prevent issues with someone selling my name and some glitch stealing it out of one of my accounts. All mine are on Make Offer to prevent BIN issues with my names disappearing potentially.

If I get an offer I will contact them via email and ask how much was it for, and if it's not a dream amount I ignore it and hope the buyer types the damn URL in and buys it elsewhere.

•••
for a preventative measure to keep others from adding them
Did you try to set the domain status to hidden or whatever is it called? May have the same effect. Needs to be confirmed though. Because of folks adding and readding domains they do not own, I am seriously considering adding to Afternic a subset of my domains that are simply not for sale (at this time, or at all) - so they should be inside but not makeoffer...

•••
Did you try to set the domain status to hidden or whatever is it called? May have the same effect. Needs to be confirmed though. Because of folks adding and readding domains they do not own, I am seriously considering adding to Afternic a subset of my domains that are simply not for sale (at this time, or at all) - so they should be inside but not makeoffer...

Apparently there are super users that can override this. But my method keeps the random users from adding my names to their accounts.

•••
sdfdsfsdf.png

Anyone know how this works? I got an email saying the buyer rejected my offer. But their offer is the same as my offer, in other words, we seem to have agreed on a price. However, the Afternic system disagrees, as this Afternic email and my Afternic.com control panel says buyer rejected the offer. I don't understand how buyer can reject and match my offer at the same time... Is this just another Afternic bug or is this how it's supposed to be?

•••
I just experienced the EXACT same thing, so I assume this would affect a lot of people at this moment.

I emailed service@afternic yesterday, heard nothing back so far...

Not sure did this affect all sales, some sales, or just 2 different sales with myself and @Arca as the sellers, however I just saw something new. Afternic bot must be sincerely trying to fix the things by sending out all possible emails about one and the same sale, such as:

Email 1: Congrats <...> has sold via Afternic Fast Transfer DLS

Email 2: <...> Sold - Authorization Code Required
(even though the domain is already in buyers hands for days)

Email 3, as well as the sale status inside afternic account: "The sale of <...> is pending buyer payment approval. This may take up to 3 business days. We'll email <...> when the sale has been approved and instructions to begin the domain ownership transfer."

Very interesting. Hope service@afternic will respond someday with an explanation...

•••
•••
Anyone know how this works?

Since in case of BIN sales some afternic partner registars do elect to increase the BIN prices, it may well be that they are doing the same for makeoffer domains. I mean _if_ this offer / counter were routed through such a greedy registrar, it is not obvious that the same "$1000-$1000" sequence is shown on buyers end. For example, it is possible that the sellers offer was increased by the registrar involved (so the buyer saw $1200 for example). Or, the registrar might decrease buyers offer for the purposes of sending it to afternic.

I do not know did this really happen or no. It is just imho, a possible explanation of irrational status shown on the screenshot.

•••
This is second time this has happened: sold a name at Afternic, was set for Fast Transfer, but it did not fast transfer away and instead Afternic Transaction Assurance asked me to push it to them within DynaDot, which I did.

I emailed Afternic support, and also messaged their TA support, and showed them a screen shot of the domain within my DD portal to show that it is still set for Fast Transfer.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back