IT.COM

Probably a DUMB Question. But why do people do this?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

BClick

Established Member
Impact
I was just searching the forum for the term "BrandBucket."

As of midnight last night, BB was 100% new to me. So I'm trying to learn all I can. Read their site. Pretty sure I understand how it works.

But when I searched this forum for BrandBucket, I found MANY posts like this one:
namepros.com / threads / brandbucket-published-vorii-com-2395.967611
[edit: Apparently I'm not allowed to post links. :guilty:]

The OP from that thread is trying to sell a BB-listed domain for a $30 minimum bid here on the NP -- but it's listed at BB for $2300.

WHY? I don't get it.

Even if he can't get the full $2300 on BB, surely it's gotta be worth more than $30, right? What am I missing?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Its just because they need quick money, It depends upon the investor's financial requirements.

•••
$2300 is arbitrary. They have decided to let the market decide the value.

•••
Some people seem to think that being accepted @ BrandBucket is a badge of quality or something.

The reason you see sales like that is because the likelihood of getting a high dollar sale for a random brandable is low.

For some people it just makes more sense to get some money now vs. waiting around for the right buyer (if they ever come).

Brad

•••
What am I missing?

you're missing the good part

which is all the hype in between

in a nutshell

they sell domains, like other marketplaces, but they charge a fee to be "published".

before you can pay that fee, first your names have to get "accepted"

you have to manually submit them., then they will either accept of reject them.

now, the theory, for those who believe, is that if your name gets "accepted" then that, in it self, adds value.

and that is irrespective to the quality of the name, which is why you'll see hundreds of bb accepted sales threads starting for $1

sure, it's as illogical as it sounds, but..... domainers are a flocking sort, kinda like lemmings.

they will run off a cliff, if they think it will help get their name sold.

on the other side, majority of members here have "flipper" mentality.

meaning they don't have time to wait for "the right buyer", so they price such names at liquidation amounts, either because they don't have faith or confidence in their names and "the bb price" or they are just too impatient.

:)

Good Luck!

imo....

•••
The Science of Brand Bucket explained

Hypothesis:
Shiny objects make people part with money.

Test the Hypothesis:
Create turd.
Polish turd.

Conclusion:
$

•••
you're missing the good part
which is all the hype in between

sure, it's as illogical as it sounds, but..... domainers are a flocking sort, kinda like lemmings.

they will run off a cliff, if they think it will help get their name sold.

on the other side, majority of members here have "flipper" mentality.

meaning they don't have time to wait for "the right buyer", so they price such names at liquidation amounts, either because they don't have faith or confidence in their names and "the bb price" or they are just too impatient.
Hi biggie.

Thank you for this explanation. Really.

I have several domains, but I'm really, really new to this whole insane "domainer" market. So much of this is foreign to me. And as an outsider, I have noticed this "flocking" and "flipping" mentality you're talking about. It's really bizarre to me.

If I had a domain on BB for $2300 or $1300 or whatever... the LAST thing I would do is try to get a quick-fast-hurry $30 on a domainer forum. Where's the salesmanship? Where's the ingenuity?

If there's a domain listed so beautifully, authoritatively, and definitively on a site like BB for $2300, then there has to be a MILLION non-domainers (just regular business people) who would think it's a great investment at $800 - $1000. At $500 or $600, it would be a no-brainer purchase for countless wanna-be entrepreneurs.

Just sayin.'

•••
... and apparently BB is not very pleased about what's happening here. Despite the fact that I've never offered a "Brandbucket approved" domain for sale, and I have a 26.5% acceptance rate at BB, I've now been cut off from submitting domains for consideration. My status will be "reconsidered" when I pay them $100 to "publish" the domains they have previously accepted.

•••
The Science of Brand Bucket explained

Hypothesis:
Shiny objects make people part with money.

Test the Hypothesis:
Create turd.
Polish turd.

Conclusion:
$
A Polished turd may be something to see.
A Polish turd, not so much.

•••
Hi biggie.

Thank you for this explanation. Really.

I have several domains, but I'm really, really new to this whole insane "domainer" market. So much of this is foreign to me. And as an outsider, I have noticed this "flocking" and "flipping" mentality you're talking about. It's really bizarre to me.

If I had a domain on BB for $2300 or $1300 or whatever... the LAST thing I would do is try to get a quick-fast-hurry $30 on a domainer forum. Where's the salesmanship? Where's the ingenuity?

If there's a domain listed so beautifully, authoritatively, and definitively on a site like BB for $2300, then there has to be a MILLION non-domainers (just regular business people) who would think it's a great investment at $800 - $1000. At $500 or $600, it would be a no-brainer purchase for countless wanna-be entrepreneurs.

Just sayin.'
Just because it's listed for $2,300 on BB doesn't mean it's even worth 30 bucks. 5 minutes ago you could have probably registered that same domains for $1 with a coupon. :)

•••
Just because it's listed for $2,300 on BB doesn't mean it's even worth 30 bucks. 5 minutes ago you could have probably registered that same domains for $1 with a coupon. :)
Understood and agreed. But if it's listed on a professional marketplace for $2300, then SOMEBODY (and I contend many somebodys) will see it as a bargain even in the mid to upper $xxx range. But whatever. I'm just a noob. I don't know anything about anything.

•••
Understood and agreed. But if it's listed on a professional marketplace for $2300, then SOMEBODY (and I contend many somebodys) will see it as a bargain even in the mid to upper $xxx range. But whatever. I'm just a noob. I don't know anything about anything.

Many actually won't like @hookbox said it may have been available to register a day ago. There are over 38,000 domains on BrandBucket and thousands of other brandable domains on other places. @hookbox can probably come up with 100 not registered right now that people would register.

Namepros is a wholesale marketplace, domain owners sell at both retail and wholesale. So if someone gets a domain approved at BrandBucket they can turn their $1.99 registration sold for $30 to $50. They don't care about the names that much so getting 15 fold over and over is fine. The key is can you rinse and repeat, that market has gotten diluted and the BB names are getting less than what they had been getting months ago.

@WebInceptions That's not about wholesale selling on Namepros, they don't let you just keep getting names approved by them and never publish, they don't want to be used as an appraisal service some have written.

•••

You're definitely new. Go to Sedo or any of the marketplaces, and you'll see utterly worthless domains priced at $50,000 or $200,000 or more. Delusion is common here.

Also, get used to most people in the business being sheep. For fun, look at the pump-and-dump cycles we went through with .mobi and other tlds, or when someone declared that all 4 letter .net's were worth thousands. It's like the Beanie Baby crowd went into domaining. The fad followers always flame out... and I know some of them have an attic stuffed with 'valuable' Beanie Babies!

•••
@WebInceptions That's not about wholesale selling on Namepros, they don't let you just keep getting names approved by them and never publish, they don't want to be used as an appraisal service some have written.[/QUOTE]

I did pay and publish some, so that's not it.

•••
•••
if its pushlished at BB for $ x.xxx usd you have a decent chance somebody will buy it for that amount sooner or later
then you are a BB accepted buyer

if you don't trust that whole domain business idea
and feel better if you get your 3 dollars you 've invested back soon
then you are a BB seller

•••
@WebInceptions That's not about wholesale selling on Namepros, they don't let you just keep getting names approved by them and never publish, they don't want to be used as an appraisal service some have written.

I did pay and publish some, so that's not it.[/QUOTE]

But you still have 10 not published right ? I think 10 is the number that cuts you off.

•••
if its pushlished at BB for $ x.xxx usd you have a decent chance somebody will buy it for that amount sooner or later
then you are a BB accepted buyer

if you don't trust that whole domain business idea
and feel better if you get your 3 dollars you 've invested back soon
then you are a BB seller
There are 38,579 names at The Bucket and on a good month they sell 90 per month. If they stop accepting names and only sold the existing inventory then it would take 428 months to sell all of the inventory or almost 36 years. So no you don't have a decent chance of someone buying it sooner or later.

•••
There are 38,579 names at The Bucket and on a good month they sell 90 per month. If they stop accepting names and only sold the existing inventory then it would take 428 months to sell all of the inventory or almost 36 years. So no you don't have a decent chance of someone buying it sooner or later.
Looks like a 2% sell thru rate, are these domains, parked, and pointed to brand bucket?

Really what is the advantage in paying 30% commission, when you can park, and point yourself anywhere for a self checkout?

•••
Seems the quality has dropped, names with double letters now appearing ......HUH

•••
Really what is the advantage in paying 30% commission, when you can park, and point yourself anywhere for a self checkout?

Exposure. Parked pages will never be seen by most buyers.

•••

still you have a decent chance
thats how long term investments work

Last edited:
•••
Many actually won't like @hookbox said it may have been available to register a day ago. There are over 38,000 domains on BrandBucket and thousands of other brandable domains on other places. @hookbox can probably come up with 100 not registered right now that people would register.

Namepros is a wholesale marketplace, domain owners sell at both retail and wholesale. So if someone gets a domain approved at BrandBucket they can turn their $1.99 registration sold for $30 to $50. They don't care about the names that much so getting 15 fold over and over is fine. The key is can you rinse and repeat, that market has gotten diluted and the BB names are getting less than what they had been getting months ago.

I sometimes don't realize how easy it is for myself to come up with good brandables. Not because I have some magic power but because I have studied the naming market for many years. I eat, sleep and breathe product and company naming. I do see how some names can have a low reseller value to someone that may not understand brandables like myself. I apologize if I offended anyone here.

•••

Nothing overly imaginative in place most of the time... what BB has done which is smart is make domainers carry the cost of about 20,000+ random names that anyone could register and take 30% of a decent return. It's a volume business but without the inventory cost.

The ingenuityin the names themselves is from the stupidly lazy:
Take a word and double the last letter. Finishingg. Divertt.

To the I missed the boat and made something up by adding letters to words, adding new cool endings to words, or simply making it an .ly domain:
Convozy, Draftoria, someword.ly

Now there is nothing saying that won't match someone's needs. I covet names others would laugh at and I can't afford :)

Now add a 10 minute logo and you've taken a Regfee domain and listed it for $2300!

There is, of course, some power in simple length of a CVCCV for example. BB does have some very good names listed (some pure brandables and some with good keywords suffixes - see @equity78's blog posts for some of these - and fantastic names (priced accordingly).

There are always surprising sales because in the grand scheme of things $2500 isn't a terribly huge investment to a lot of people... with brandables at this price you could buy many to lock them down and put each through focus group testing.

For the most part, the best names you won't see very often in an offload but some do sell so it's a seller risk / buyer market just as it is for every other single type of name that has ever been listed anywhere :)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back