IT.COM

Prices are coming down for domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mole

Insectivora MemberEstablished Member
Impact
Have you noticed how cheap it is to catch dropping .COM names for $60 or less nowadays, or how cheap people are selling domains on forums like this?

Contrary to popular (read speculative/euphoric) belief, .COM names are actually plummeting in value. With .XXX being introduced soon, the dive will be even more.

The so-called sales you see is only SYMPTOMATIC that those who got their names early in the game are now trying to liquidate what they have for whatever they can get, as compared to the no big money no name position they took in past years.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
taheny said:
I think it is best that you get out of the industry whilst you can and sell your portfolio very cheaply.

sell?? :-/ I'm a lover, not a fighter?

•••
Well, then give them away instead! :hehe:

mole said:
sell?? :-/ I'm a lover, not a fighter?

•••
•••
instead of panicing and selling domains off like crazy at very low prices - why don't you guys develop the domain names and try to increase their value that way :) Has never failed me..

Last edited:
•••
zquest said:
Think the only reason why .COM is still so popular is because that is the first real heavily marketed ext. Just a few years ago it was all .COM this nad .COM that. The .COM bubble burst, travelocity.com, priceline.com, espn.com, and so on. Walmart.com, hotmail.com, google.com. See were I'm getting at? Everything (in USA at least) is mostly .COM when you hear the media.

The same can be said for many British sites. Since when was Hotmail and Google only US? We have Tesco.com, Sainsbury.com. The fact that US sites exist on .com means nothing. It does not mean that it is a US extension, if it was, businesses in the EU would not be using it.

The main thing about domains is not traffic. Generic domains do NOT always bring traffic. If they do, how mcuh? Maybe several thousand uniques at the very most per month. Unless you have a domain like PC.com, which has HUGE value on its own without traffic. Traffic is not the deciding factor at all. The quality of the domain matters above all else. People are willing to use other extensions which is bringing down the value of .com. In the UK, I often see, .com .co.uk .Info and .Biz all being used. If the .com of the domain that you want to use is not available, that MOST businesses tend to get the co.uk or .info, sometimes the .Biz. Things massively reduces the value of .com's for resale.

SharonTucci said:
Who pays this? Well, when you consider the REAL value of a domain here for branding purposes, $2-20k is a drop in the bucket compared to other marketing expenses. How much does it cost for a full page ad in the Wall Street Journal for a company in financial services? How about designing the ad? What about running a commercial one time during prime time or a big event like the SuperBowl? What about producing that commercial?

The majority of businesses cannot spend amounts like that. Like Alan has already said, there is only so often that you can sell names to big companies.
Smaller business IMO would rather pay reg fee for a .info or .co.uk (ccTLD) instead of paying $2k-$10k for a dot com.

•••
Zeeble said:
The majority of businesses cannot spend amounts like that. Like Alan has already said, there is only so often that you can sell names to big companies.
Smaller business IMO would rather pay reg fee for a .info or .co.uk (ccTLD) instead of paying $2k-$10k for a dot com.

To clarify slightly... I was pointing out the big business aspect of the current market to explain the lack of high 6 to low 7 figure sales, not that good 4 to 5 figure sales can't be had :)

If a smaller business decides to pay reg fee for a .info instead of shelling out $2k to $10k for the RIGHT domain name, then they probably won't be around long, and certainly don't have the "vision" needed to grow.

Smaller to medium sized businesses/firms/hobbyists have been my bread and butter for the past little bit, they are a lot easier to get in touch with than someone who can actually make decisions at a huge co (Think Walmart, McD's, etc.).

Just my .02,
-Allan :gl:

•••

Failing Businesses your right not real businesses

•••
Zeeble said:
SharonTucci said:
Who pays this? Well, when you consider the REAL value of a domain here for branding purposes, $2-20k is a drop in the bucket compared to other marketing expenses. How much does it cost for a full page ad in the Wall Street Journal for a company in financial services? How about designing the ad? What about running a commercial one time during prime time or a big event like the SuperBowl? What about producing that commercial?

Huh? The majority of businesses cannot spend $2-10k for a domain they get to KEEP? Perhaps we need to distinguish here between a REAL business and everything else. For most real businesses, it is NOT a big deal. Gosh, I've sold domains in that range to hairdressing salons, fitness studios, consultants just to name a few kinds of businesses. How many hair salons and fitness studios are there alone?

I've been focusing a lot on the health industry as of late... primarily in medical-services domains. In the US *alone* there over 40,000 companies in this industry.

•••
Just to clear my good name again (Cause it's popping up in all of these quotes ;) ), my example was in regards to the dow components or similar... Huge co's have their names and have had them for some time because they were smart enough to fork over huge sums of money.
But that doesn't mean that the tens of thousands of firms that have huge marketing budgets still aren't looking to improve exposure online.
-Allan

•••
Allan if I drop you r name will it get me a good table at a 5 star restaurant in NC ?

•••
equity78 said:
Allan if I drop you r name will it get me a good table at a 5 star restaurant in NC ?

If you can find me a 5 star restaurant in NC, I promise to try to get you a table there somehow ;)

But for now, WaHo is 5 stars for me :)

•••
No 5 stars In like ChapeL Hill?

•••
Frankie's Street is a college town drag, not a New England boardwalk ;)

Plenty of nice places on the top of buildings, but I doubt any 5 stars even in RawlE or ShaLet ( ;) ).

But I'd be happy to hear that there are :)

•••
Hey hey, this is a thread about prices coming down and you guys talk about dining at a 5 star restaurant?? hmm, makes one wonder what you guys do for a day job...

•••
mole said:
Hey hey, this is a thread about prices coming down and you guys talk about dining at a 5 star restaurant?? hmm, makes one wonder what you guys do for a day job...

But don't forget to notice that neither of us know where such an establishment would be ;)

•••
IAmAllanShore said:
If a smaller business decides to pay reg fee for a .info instead of shelling out $2k to $10k for the RIGHT domain name, then they probably won't be around long, and certainly don't have the "vision" needed to grow.

well said, in business, image means alot...would you do 'big' business with a company that cant even shell out a few thousand to get their dot com? i think not...

•••
I invest in many gTLDs. info/biz from the newer ones, and net/org of course.
I do prefer .com.
I disagree that the market for .com sales is getting lower. it is just adjusting itself.
the net amount of transactions for me, and I know, for many others have tripled and more in the last 2 years, and mostly for .com
yes, the amounts are not as large, but very large sales were the exception not the rule, even in the past.
Mole, when in the past, we saw very high prices being paid, it wasnt just the over inflation of .com prices, but also that established companies were positioning themselves for the future, and paying higher.
more and more entities are 'entering' cyberspace each day. If anyone thinks that domain sales will plummet, and especially .coms, IMHO they are just not facing reality, as far as the end-user market is concerned.
One of the reasons for the illusion that our market is plummeting, is that there are many MANY more players now than there used to be.
This has resulted in many MANY more useless domains being regged, and then dumped at low prices... and those prices we see in the reseller market, in forums etc...

•••
mole said:

lol I was thinking the same thing hehe...amazing how looong threads always seem to jump back and forth between totally different subjects :D

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back