Dynadot

discuss Paid domain lists? Would you pay?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Would you pay for a daily domain list?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    29.9%
  • No

votes
    70.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
Would anyone be interested in joining a mailing list that sends the top 250 domains every single day?

If so, would you pay for it?

If you would, what would you say is a fair price?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for your kind words.

The trouble is sorting would take a lot of time and the categories would change daily. I find all sorts of names... Ranging from non-English 1-worders to typos for those who are interested. I can't release at different times of the day because they all drop within 24 hours of the list coming out. Also, I have no way of searching for available domains. So that's not possible. :)
Fair enough. I am still in in. :)

•••
Fair enough. I am still in in. :)

I'd love to do more... but it'd cost more. So I suppose if everyone would pay $40 per month I could do more. Though, I'd imagine this customer base would be extremely price sensitive.

•••
I think it's a great idea, but you won't resolve the issues without a specific scenario, and the issues will make it pointless.

For example, say you get a load of subs (500+), people will snap up names quickly and there will be some who never get names from the list as they're always gone. You lose subs as they're paying for nothing, making it pointless for some, your time, etc etc.

So to resolve such issues, I suggest the following (ideas):

Limit the max subscribers to 250 users at any one time
This makes it exclusive which benefits you for ease of list management, and subscribers as they all get a better chance of grabbing a domain from the 250. If you have (eg) 1000 subscribers, you'll just have a lot of unhappy people always complaining there are never any left, and they'll unsubscribe anyway,. so likely the list would naturally reduce to around 250 limit anyway (ish).

If any unsubscribe, advertise the free space(s).

This also means you can charge more money for the service. This makes it a viable model for you and subscribers, as your time is paid for to a satisfactory level, and subscribers get a good value service as they can actually get use (buy domains) from a service they pay for.

Limit the max domains from the list per subscriber
eg "only X domains per subscriber", this could mean fiddly time for you checking each time, and also there will be times where a handful of subscribers don't register something, which is a waste for the others who could/would have regged them. So this is something to think about, but not sure it would work.

I wouldn't negate it altogether though, as some subscribers with large investment funds might just scoop the lot up (or a few users grab 70 each etc leaving nothing for everyone else). Perhaps limit to 15 per subscriber. You'd soon find out if someone was regging too many as you'd have a fair number of the 250 subscribers complaining there are never any left.

Free trial, initial changes
You are going to have a fair bit of trial and error throughout the first 5 or more lists, and you cannot give 5 lists away free. You are providing a great product/service for the subscriber fee even at first - they get a great list of cheap names to grab. So personally I wouldn't bother with a free trial. Instead just make it clear the first 5 lists are on a "introductory price" (say 75% the normal price) and make paying subscribers aware that the rules and setup you have at first will be subject to change based on trial and error. eg you limit the list to max 250 subscribers, and every week/month there are (eg) 100 domains not taken, so you can increase the max user base to 350 (or whatever).

I've not proof read or trimmed as I just spilled my thoughts on the page, just ideas ;)

•••
That's what I was thinking. I spend a lot of money per month on tools and a lot of time on the lists everyday. Might as well monetize my time. :D

Its a simple equation ..
TIME = MONEY

If we can leverage our time we can leverage the money too..

Let me know when you release it..if i get the funds i will subscribe..

Best Regards,
sAm.. :)

•••
Its a Good Idea Shane, however I will only recommend you "not to keep it free" because it takes a lot of work, time & energy to compile such things.

Even if you can monetize big through Affiliate Links or Banners in your Email, $20 seems fine, if you like you can start with $10 for first month, just an idea.

Moreover, my advice would be not to make commitment for daily mails, it may become very hard for you to keep that commitment in the long run. If you are working that hard to find such a large number of names, then 15 Mails per month seems fine with $10-20 subscription price, with a commitment of at least 3 mails weekly to your subscribers, imo.

Regards//Daneyal

•••
I think it's a great idea, but you won't resolve the issues without a specific scenario, and the issues will make it pointless.

For example, say you get a load of subs (500+), people will snap up names quickly and there will be some who never get names from the list as they're always gone. You lose subs as they're paying for nothing, making it pointless for some, your time, etc etc.

So to resolve such issues, I suggest the following (ideas):

Limit the max subscribers to 250 users at any one time
This makes it exclusive which benefits you for ease of list management, and subscribers as they all get a better chance of grabbing a domain from the 250. If you have (eg) 1000 subscribers, you'll just have a lot of unhappy people always complaining there are never any left, and they'll unsubscribe anyway,. so likely the list would naturally reduce to around 250 limit anyway (ish).

If any unsubscribe, advertise the free space(s).

This also means you can charge more money for the service. This makes it a viable model for you and subscribers, as your time is paid for to a satisfactory level, and subscribers get a good value service as they can actually get use (buy domains) from a service they pay for.

Limit the max domains from the list per subscriber
eg "only X domains per subscriber", this could mean fiddly time for you checking each time, and also there will be times where a handful of subscribers don't register something, which is a waste for the others who could/would have regged them. So this is something to think about, but not sure it would work.

I wouldn't negate it altogether though, as some subscribers with large investment funds might just scoop the lot up (or a few users grab 70 each etc leaving nothing for everyone else). Perhaps limit to 15 per subscriber. You'd soon find out if someone was regging too many as you'd have a fair number of the 250 subscribers complaining there are never any left.

Free trial, initial changes
You are going to have a fair bit of trial and error throughout the first 5 or more lists, and you cannot give 5 lists away free. You are providing a great product/service for the subscriber fee even at first - they get a great list of cheap names to grab. So personally I wouldn't bother with a free trial. Instead just make it clear the first 5 lists are on a "introductory price" (say 75% the normal price) and make paying subscribers aware that the rules and setup you have at first will be subject to change based on trial and error. eg you limit the list to max 250 subscribers, and every week/month there are (eg) 100 domains not taken, so you can increase the max user base to 350 (or whatever).

I've not proof read or trimmed as I just spilled my thoughts on the page, just ideas ;)

I've thought about limiting the users but that also limits my profit. If I hit 250 subscribers I would likely spend more time on the lists, which would result in more names and categories as that's valuing my time in the 5-figure region including affiliate revenue. I would not want to limit the number of purchases per user because it's impossible to manage. As for a discounted pricing it's easier to include a 1-week trial with Paypal. I don't want to complicate things more than they have to be.

I really do appreciate your input. It gives me some things to think about!

•••
Its a simple equation ..
TIME = MONEY

If we can leverage our time we can leverage the money too..

Let me know when you release it..if i get the funds i will subscribe..

Best Regards,
sAm.. :)

Thanks!

Its a Good Idea Shane, however I will only recommend you "not to keep it free" because it takes a lot of work, time & energy to compile such things.

Even if you can monetize big through Affiliate Links or Banners in your Email, $20 seems fine, if you like you can start with $10 for first month, just an idea.

Moreover, my advice would be not to make commitment for daily mails, it may become very hard for you to keep that commitment in the long run. If you are working that hard to find such a large number of names, then 15 Mails per month seems fine with $10-20 subscription price, with a commitment of at least 3 mails weekly to your subscribers, imo.

Regards//Daneyal

I do this daily anyways. It's part of being a full-time domainer. So the commitment isn't a big deal. Rain or shine, I'll do the lists. :)

•••
If you evaluate your time at 5 figure value, than why are you doing this.
I guess you will filter the best names for yourself or at last the names you would be interested in.
Anyway I'd like to to try it for a month or two to see the results.

•••
If you evaluate your time at 5 figure value, than why are you doing this.
I guess you will filter the best names for yourself or at last the names you would be interested in.
Anyway I'd like to to try it for a month or two to see the results.

I already said I won't be filtering names. It's my full list everyday. I'm simply monetizing the time I spend doing this. Truthfully, I don't buy everyday. I only buy when I see something with 5-figure potential. Those types of domains are typically few and far between. This plan just makes sense.

•••
I already said I won't be filtering names. It's my full list everyday. I'm simply monetizing the time I spend doing this. Truthfully, I don't buy everyday. I only buy when I see something with 5-figure potential. Those types of domains are typically few and far between. This plan just makes sense.
Sorry, I missed that. As I said, I'm in :)

•••
I think this is certainly a good idea. For part-time (or even hobbyist) domainers, there simply isn't enough time or budget to trawl through all the lists on a regular basis.

250 domains per day might be a little hard to sustain, but if you do it anyway and think you can manage, go for it. Looking forward to subscribing!

•••
Sorry, I missed that. As I said, I'm in :)

I think this is certainly a good idea. For part-time (or even hobbyist) domainers, there simply isn't enough time or budget to trawl through all the lists on a regular basis.

250 domains per day might be a little hard to sustain, but if you do it anyway and think you can manage, go for it. Looking forward to subscribing!

Awesome. Thank you both!

•••
I do this daily anyways. It's part of being a full-time domainer.

Yes, many of us are also full time domainers who work very hard at this. Why not let people find domains for themselves?

This business is hard enough already.

•••
Yes, many of us are also full time domainers who work very hard at this. Why not let people find domains for themselves?

This business is hard enough already.

Because this is my business and I value my time. Why not monetize it?

•••
Because this is my business and I value my time. Why not monetize it?

I can appreciate that, but any of us who does this full time could offer the same service.

But we don't. As I said, this business is getting harder all the time. No need to accelerate it.

Besides, you will still keep the best names for yourself; it only makes sense.

If you spend all that time finding good names, why would you give them away?

I realize you can not buy all the names you find, but the left overs may not be that good anyway.

Anyone who has been at this for a while knows that finding really good names is like finding a needle in a haystack.

And the best names will always have competition anyway.

Offering lesser names just to make a buck might not be such a good idea.

If you look at the poll results you will see it is more than 2 to 1 against this, and I guarantee most of the "against" are full timers.

•••
I can appreciate that, but any of us who does this full time could offer the same service.

But we don't. As I said, this business is getting harder all the time. No need to accelerate it.

Besides, you will still keep the best names for yourself; it only makes sense.

If you spend all that time finding good names, why would you give them away?

I realize you can not buy all the names you find, but the left overs may not be that good anyway.

Anyone who has been at this for a while knows that finding really good names is like finding a needle in a haystack.

And the best names will always have competition anyway.

Offering lesser names just to make a buck might not be such a good idea.

If you look at the poll results you will see it is more than 2 to 1 against this, and I guarantee most of the "against" are full timers.

I'm really tired of people saying I will keep the best names for myself. This is my 3rd time stating that I will provide the FULL LIST. Please don't accuse me of being a liar.

And in all honesty, I really don't care if the business is more competitive for my competitors. Their business does not put food on my table.

•••
I'm really tired of people saying I will keep the best names for myself. This is my 3rd time stating that I will provide the FULL LIST. Please don't accuse me of being a liar.

First let me apologize, I did not read all the posts and was unaware of the comments by others about that point.

I am not intentionally trying to give you a hard time.

•••
First let me apologize, I did not read all the posts and was unaware of the comments by others about that point.

I am not intentionally trying to give you a hard time.

I'm perfectly open to a debate because it'll only help me fine tune this service.

I just don't like being repeatedly accused of the same thing. :P

No hard feelings though.

•••
I'm perfectly open to a debate because it'll only help me fine tune this service.

I just don't like being repeatedly accused of the same thing. :P

No hard feelings though.

Like I said, I was only reacting to the subject of this thread and only read some of the posts.

I must have missed the others.

Its cool!!

•••
And in all honesty, I really don't care if the business is more competitive for my competitors. Their business does not put food on my table.

I guess we all gotta do what we gotta do.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

•••
•••
I could next week. Just testing the waters. I think a free week of subscription would also alleviate some of the doubts. Thoughts?
Shane I think this is a great idea. As noted there are blogs that publish lists but they are skewed by interest. Depending on what is on the list it could certainly be worth $20 bucks per month. And your idea of offering a free beta version for a week or two and then a free 1 week trial to new members would be the way to see if it's worth the time and money from both sides of the equation.

•••
Shane I think this is a great idea. As noted there are blogs that publish lists but they are skewed by interest. Depending on what is on the list it could certainly be worth $20 bucks per month. And your idea of offering a free beta version for a week or two and then a free 1 week trial to new members would be the way to see if it's worth the time and money from both sides of the equation.

I appreciate it. The plan is to simply offer a 1-week trial. It'll definitely evolve over time with feedback.

Right now, I'm thinking of including a variety of domains to allow people to work within the niches their comfortable in.

•••
•••
Shane,
A word of advice. If its good product people will pay. The big problem is you have to prove its good product and during that proving time you don't make any money. I didn't make any money for two whole years of my time. It eventually built up and started to be profitable. Now my public published and private list provide good income. You'll be able to do the same if your list is good. Just have to stick with it while people realize how good it is. I also find it works if you specialize in certain types of names. Its nearly impossible to cover all good names in all categories . I know you'll do well no matter what you do. Best of luck

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back