IT.COM

discuss Paid domain lists? Would you pay?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Would you pay for a daily domain list?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    29.9%
  • No

votes
    70.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
Would anyone be interested in joining a mailing list that sends the top 250 domains every single day?

If so, would you pay for it?

If you would, what would you say is a fair price?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well I am open for trying. I am rather new in the domain world so I haven't paid for a list yet.

I am also in only part time, with little budget, so for me the goal of this list would be to find at least 1 domain every month for around $ 100,- or less that has great potential to be sold for at least mid $ xxx and a chance to get into the $ xxxx zone.

If your list makes it possible for me to acquire at least 1 such domain every month (that I would not have acquired without it), I have no reason not to pay the $ 20,-. If it increases the prices too much or is more oriented towards domains costing mid $ xxx to invest in, I would probably not pay for the list, as I don't want to invest this amount in 1 domain at this moment (still too inexperienced).

So I would definitely like to be included in a trial and then see if this looks to be something I can benefit from or not.

•••
Would anyone here want dictionary terms in other languages? A lot of my research turns up GEOs and EMDs in other countries and languages?

If not, what would you want to see?

•••
Just a suggestion.
May be you want to change your avatar picture. Your serious look may scare a lot of people.

Good luck!
John

•••
I'm not doing this out of the goodness of my heart. I see an opportunity to increase my income from this newsletter. I'm out for me -- first and foremost.

I gotta say, even though I am against the idea of you releasing these lists, I respect your honesty sir

•••
Just a suggestion.
May be you want to change your avatar picture. Your serious look may scare a lot of people.

Thats funny, because I always think the same thing.

Shane, no disrespect, but you look like a mobster in your avatar photo!

You may not be aware of it, but you look totally different than you do, for example, in your Sherpa interview.

•••
Here's my 2 cents:

First let me say that I don't question the expertise of Shane. I'm sure he can find great domains on a daily basis.

That said, I don't think it's possible to list 250 "good" domains per day (depends of course what you define under "good"). 40-50 would be more doable, I think. I guess time will tell if it's possible (should Shane decide to launch this project).

Anyways, gettting a daily list of "only" 50 good domains per day for $20/month would be worth it imo. But not if there's 249 other subscribers seeing the same private list. The more people sign up, the less valuable a list like this becomes for the subscribers and the more valuable it becomes for the creator. The trick is finding the right balance. Otherwise it's doomed to fail.

People need to be realistic as well. A lot of the good domains in the list will probably be domains you would have found yourself. If a lack of time is the reason to join a list like this then sure, $20 is a great deal. Time is money after all.

•••
Also, I'm not sure if you were planning this or not Shane but imo I wouldn't use affiliate links on the domains inside your list since people are already paying to see your list.
If, for example, I download a free app on the appstore I have no issues that it comes with banners and other affiliate stuff. But If I pay for an app I will be really annoyed if I see a single affiliate banner. That's like asking money twice for the same stuff. And I would never recommend that app to anyone as a result.

•••
I didn't follow the full thread but I think there might be a market for a limited subscriber - perhaps even one who would want the entire content and have the means to pay for it all.

How much are you proposing to charge?

Alan

•••
Here's my 2 cents:

First let me say that I don't question the expertise of Shane. I'm sure he can find great domains on a daily basis.

That said, I don't think it's possible to list 250 "good" domains per day (depends of course what you define under "good"). 40-50 would be more doable, I think. I guess time will tell if it's possible (should Shane decide to launch this project).

Anyways, gettting a daily list of "only" 50 good domains per day for $20/month would be worth it imo. But not if there's 249 other subscribers seeing the same private list. The more people sign up, the less valuable a list like this becomes for the subscribers and the more valuable it becomes for the creator. The trick is finding the right balance. Otherwise it's doomed to fail.

People need to be realistic as well. A lot of the good domains in the list will probably be domains you would have found yourself. If a lack of time is the reason to join a list like this then sure, $20 is a great deal. Time is money after all.

Also, I'm not sure if you were planning this or not Shane but imo I wouldn't use affiliate links on the domains inside your list since people are already paying to see your list.
If, for example, I download a free app on the appstore I have no issues that it comes with banners and other affiliate stuff. But If I pay for an app I will be really annoyed if I see a single affiliate banner. That's like asking money twice for the same stuff. And I would never recommend that app to anyone as a result.

I appreciate you taking the time to help out. My only issue is you're saying I should limit the number of subscribers, keep the price low, and remove affiliate links? The only reason I can keep the subscription low is because of the affiliate links. If you'd prefer I could charge $50 per month and cap at 200 people. I doubt as many people would like that though.

I didn't follow the full thread but I think there might be a market for a limited subscriber - perhaps even one who would want the entire content and have the means to pay for it all.

How much are you proposing to charge?

Alan

I'm not sure. I've had people say they'd pay a lot more for the list but I hadn't thought about it. What would you propose?

•••
If you'd prefer I could charge $50 per month and cap at 200 people. I doubt as many people would like that though.

Is your goal to get a $10K recurrent income that only lasts a few months? Or would you be satisfied with $2K a month that lasts a few years? Having tons of subscribers in a list will of course make you more money short-term but imo will result in a lot of people cancelling their subscriptions after a few months. If people join a paid list it will be because of assumed value. If there's no cap at how many people can join then the value (for those subscribers) will degrade over time as the list grows larger since there's a growing amount of competition over the same daily list of domains.

I'm pretty sure that if there would be a cap it would be an incentive for more people to join as they would feel part of a small exclusive group. My guess? You will probably be more profitable with a $97/month business model capped at 50 users compared to a $20/month business model with no cap. At least in the long run.

Anyways at this point it's all guessing. If you do start I hope plenty of people will join your list (That said, I'm not one of them since I like doing my own research and I love finding gems that somehow flew under the radar).

Last edited:
•••
I paid some of the domain tools because they can save my time, I don't mind to pay another $20 for your service.

With limited budget, it's very easy for me to find a good domain to buy and I wish I was the only bidder every time.

I read Shane Cultra's blog everyday. Every name he mentioned on his list is not possible be acquired at $12 at GoDaddy nor $69 on NameJet. I am afraid the names on your list will be the same for your subscribers, unless there is only a few people to pay for your service.

And I was wondering how you define the "quality" of a domain name? An appraisal value like Estibot? Or you will teach us how / where to sell the domain name?

•••
Is your goal to get a $10K recurrent income that only lasts a few months? Or would you be satisfied with $2K a month that lasts a few years? Having tons of subscribers in a list will of course make you more money short-term but imo will result in a lot of people cancelling their subscriptions after a few months. If people join a paid list it will be because of assumed value. If there's no cap at how many people can join then the value (for those subscribers) will degrade over time as the list grows larger since there's a growing amount of competition over the same daily list of domains.

I'm pretty sure that if there would be a cap it would be an incentive for more people to join as they would feel part of a small exclusive group. My guess? You will probably be more profitable with a $97/month business model capped at 50 users compared to a $20/month business model with no cap. At least in the long run.

Anyways at this point it's all guessing. If you do start I hope plenty of people will join your list (That said, I'm not one of them since I like doing my own research and I love finding gems that somehow flew under the radar).

Fair enough. Thanks for your input.

I paid some of the domain tools because they can save my time, I don't mind to pay another $20 for your service.

With limited budget, it's very easy for me to find a good domain to buy and I wish I was the only bidder every time.

I read Shane Cultra's blog everyday. Every name he mentioned on his list is not possible be acquired at $12 at GoDaddy nor $69 on NameJet. I am afraid the names on your list will be the same for your subscribers, unless there is only a few people to pay for your service.

And I was wondering how you define the "quality" of a domain name? An appraisal value like Estibot? Or you will teach us how / where to sell the domain name?

I will not use appraisals nor will I be teaching how to sell domains. I'm simply aiming to provide a way for people to save time. Though, with everyone's feedback, I may have to adjust my model.

•••
•••
When is it starting?

Waiting on approval from the company who's feed I use to find domains. I need explicit permission to use that data,

*fingers crossed*

•••
•••
Yep.. I'd sign up for some German dictionary words.

•••
Do you have lists for higher membership subscriptions? For e.g I pay membership of $30, the chances of getting names are higher for me.

Waiting on approval from the company who's feed I use to find domains. I need explicit permission to use that data,

*fingers crossed*

•••
I'll have a landing page up when I'm ready to launch. I applied to affiliate programs in order to keep the monthly price down for the members.

That's double dipping Shane but tbh I would probably do the same thing. :)

•••
That's double dipping Shane but tbh I would probably do the same thing. :)

Can't have a cheap service without the income coming from somewhere.

:)

•••
who will decide what is top ?

or better...

.top is top

.com is .communism ?

thats why the chinese like .com ( chinas online market )

Attachments

• key01.png
    key01.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 65
•••
who will decide what is top ?

or better...

.top is top

.com is communism ?

Welcome to the party. I must say we haven't had batshit crazy here yet. Thanks for the addition.

•••
•••
I'm not sure what you mean. But as far as screening goes, I made a lot of money last year using my technique. I definitely won't be sharing my technique because no amount of money would be worth selling the secret sauce.

I thought about a higher price tag but to be scalable it needs to be affordable for everyone. Know what I mean?
Premium pricing - Instant delivery
Cheaper pricing - 3h delay

•••
250 names daily is a bit high . I would suggest 50-100 names daily to keep up the quality and paid members.

$20 for a week trial and $40-50 for a month on the higher ground.

$10 for a week trial and $30 per month on the lower ground.

•••
Premium pricing - Instant delivery
Cheaper pricing - 3h delay

250 names daily is a bit high . I would suggest 50-100 names daily to keep up the quality and paid members.

$20 for a week trial and $40-50 for a month on the higher ground.

$10 for a week trial and $30 per month on the lower ground.

Both are great ideas. Thanks for the input.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back