Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 1, 2026.

discuss .online domain names value

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

sameh mohamed

Account Closed
Impact
2
i just wonder about new domain name extension domain.online
is it worthy to own them or not as the good keyword domain already registered
 
Last edited:
1
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Unstoppable Domains — AI StorefrontUnstoppable Domains — AI Storefront
It means something to me and I am sure many others out there.
It means you want a service provided online and it also sounds cool.

LearnEnglish.online or LearnEnglish.website?
Online is understood in a vast amount of languages including Chinese.
There are 750k domain names that already end with the string online and it is not constrained by
industry.

Plus, it is just very popular.
 
0
•••
The "rest" of dot com will suffer?

There are so many new gtlds that this kind of rubbish is only going to be spewed more and more by those with vested interest.

It is getting beyond a joke. People simply do not understand markets and value.

Everything has a reference point, dot com is that reference point and will always be the choice for 95% of those who can afford to get the name they want in com.

No more comments on this subject in any thread, as you will never be able to help everyone.
 
0
•••
It means something to me and I am sure many others out there.
It means you want a service provided online and it also sounds cool.

LearnEnglish.online or LearnEnglish.website?
Online is understood in a vast amount of languages including Chinese.
There are 750k domain names that already end with the string online and it is not constrained by
industry.

Plus, it is just very popular.

Last comment from me.

This line you said: There are 750k domain names that already end with the string online

Shows you why the name was chosen. To squat on the real brands who have names already.
 
0
•••
I think the numbers will speak a thousand words. If that was the case, then why is it smashing records.
It looks obvious to me but good luck.
Renewal fees may change. The .com renewal fees are so low because there are millions of garbage domains registered.
Anyway, time will tell.
 
0
•••
I think the numbers will speak a thousand words. If that was the case, then why is it smashing records.

Smashing records? I guess that is because the bar for new gTLD is so low to start with.
Pretty much every new gTLD from .CLUB to .VEGAS has grossly under-performed registry predictions.

Brad
 
1
•••
I agree with you.

The bar was low because all the other gTLD domain extensions have been rubbish to date.
Everyone has been waiting for the release of .online and then it will be .web once that is released.

There was very little hype about .online before the release. It is hard to find many articles about it except for the purchase. It was hardly mentioned on this site either. However, pre-registrations were though the roof in the last 2 years and many people were waiting quietly to pick up their domains that they can actually use
and which make sense.

Good luck!
 
0
•••
Everyone has been waiting for the release of .online

When someone writes something like the above, I'm not sure whether I should take any of your posts seriously anymore.

I have provided 5 arguments why I believe that the .Online extension will just be a short-lived hype (like so many things), and I haven’t seen any new or proper arguments in favor of this extension. Only wishful thinking by people that desperately try to convince themselves (and others) that it’s a smart choice or investment.

I don’t think it is, and I’m pretty sure many .Online owners will think the same when these domains are up for renewal next year for $35.
 
0
•••
How to pre-register nGTLDs, and how much would that cost?
 
0
•••
Why would anyone want to type "online" (a relatively long term) when they already know they're online?

.Com just makes so much more sense. .Web makes so much more sense.
 
0
•••
I think that it smashed a record for the same reason that .Website has 103,863 registrations and .Top has 262,523 registrations. Stupid is as stupid does.

.Online was marketed very heavily on every registrar that I looked at before and immediately after it's release. Just like .Website and just like .Website, people will likely find that their .Online will be worthless soon enough with the exception of perhaps NNNs and killer keyword combos.

The fact that so many .Online names were registry reserved as "premium" doesn't help the future for .Online at all neither.
 
0
•••
Why would anyone want to type "online" (a relatively long term) when they already know they're online?
True. It's redundant. On the other hand, 'online' is a frequent keyword in domain names. I think many TLDs have been applied for based on that characteristic.
 
0
•••
The fact that so many .Online names were registry reserved as "premium" doesn't help the future for .Online at all neither.
Ok so the best names were kept out of the hands of us greedy domainers who would likely hold them for years demanding even more than most of the "premium" reg fees........ I don't see the problem, except for domainers maybe...

It's not like any significant portion of the "premium" domains would get properly developed by domainers...
 
2
•••
Here is my point of view.

ONLINE was not discussed much prior to launch (here at namepros at least, which I would argue is probably the premier place for domainers).
It was regarded with lukewarm regards (as far as I can tell) here at namepros when it was discussed.
Domainers are the driving force behind initial and secondary domain name sales especially in nTLDs (mostly because the general populace know nothing of them).
The prices for ONLINE vary with the registrar from $10 (1and1), $15 (godaddy), $23 (101domain), and $40 (onlydomains), with the average being closer to $20 which starts to add up quickly if you are buying multiple domain names.

So following my argument, that domainers are the driving force for nTLDs.
Domainers congregate here at namepros (as a general rule of thumb).
When ONLINE was discussed here, it was met with lukewarm reception and was NOT highly anticipated.
And then all of the sudden... the domains are flying out the door once GA opens up.

Following normal logic, would mean that domainers are snapping them up multiples at a time but that does NOT seem to be the case here.
Look around... not much mention of the domains that are being snapped up (at least I am not seeing them in the droves that they are "BEING SOLD AT"

Seems to me that maybe it might have something to do with the PREMIUM names being owned by the registry?
I pulled a sample of premium keywords in the online extension in whois and found they the names that I sampled where all registered by the same entity:
Registrant Name: Domain Administrator
Registrant Organization: DotOnline Inc.
radixregistry

Now, when I bounced my list of over 500 names to see what was available in .ONLINE. a good majority (I would guess around 90%) came back as registered. It was out of those registered names that I looked up the whois.

So here is my questions to you.
*IF* domainers make up the majority of domain sales in nTLDs, have you heard many people discussing their registrations in .ONLINE?
Is it possible that maybe the registry registered their own names and would that inflate the registration numbers during GA?
Does the block form of domain registrations at different registrars make you think that the names where portioned out to different registrars to make it look better and not all at one place?(i.e. 7 of the 8 godaddy group registrars all have nearly exactly the same number of registrations *500*. Between all 7 registrars, there is a difference of 19 names).
Does anyone find it weird that the guy listed above (as was pointed out above), shows up on the same day the extension was released and has nothing but praise?

If I was a betting man, I would say that the registry is up to no good and the numbers are being manipulated here with the hopes to have domainers jump on the ONLINE train and inflate the value of the domain names (the premium ones being owned by the registry) and the guy listed above is a shill working for the company.

Just my tin foil hat opinion.

Cheers.
 
1
•••
Ok so the best names were kept out of the hands of us greedy domainers who would likely hold them for years demanding even more than most of the "premium" reg fees........ I don't see the problem, except for domainers maybe...

It's not like any significant portion of the "premium" domains would get properly developed by domainers...

You make some valid points.
I agree that domainers would be the ones that would snap up the premium names.
I agree that domainers would hold onto them for years and asking a premium price for the names.
I agree that many of the names would not be properly developed by domainers...

But there is more to the story. Domainers by in large are the driving force behind many domain sales especially those in nTLDs. Yes, we snap up the premium names when available BUT that action comes with some risk!!!
All of these new TLDs are unproven, untested, and have no real value associated with them yet.
When we put down $$$ on these names, we are gambling that they MAYBE worth something later in the future. We hold onto them (paying $$$ to keep them) again in the hopes that they maybe worth something later down the road.
THIS IS NOT A SURE THING. If everyone was making money domaining... everyone would be doing it.
We are small sub section of the populace. We are the first to gamble on many of these extension.
You pay $30 for a domain and hold onto it for 10 years... you would like to get more then the 3,000 you paid for it. It was your risk to buy it and hold it. This is all a gamble.

The problem here is that when the registry holds back the good names for themselves, they expect us domainers to carry the load and bring value to the domain.
They want us to find the sales (which we will).
They want us to find the end users who will develop the domains properly.
They want us to drive the media coverage, blog articles, and general person to person conversation all the while the registry is holding the super premium domains.

Once there is value to the domain... who reaps the benefits?
Yes, we get the scraps by buying sub par domains and holding them for years, all the while trying to find an end user or sale for the domains.

I think it is to be expected that all of the domain names should be made available to the world at large.
No registry should hold names back and especially not register the names for themselves.

Ok... I will get off my soap box for now.

Cheers
 
1
•••
I think it is to be expected that all of the domain names should be made available to the world at large.
No registry should hold names back and especially not register the names for themselves.
Frankly, it's their business, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to charge more for some of the better names. I mean, that's what we do..... They aren't running a charity any more than we are.

The problem here is that when the registry holds back the good names for themselves, they expect us domainers to carry the load and bring value to the domain.
You're assuming that the registry brings nothing to the table besides the domains themselves.... Don't you think they might have a little more planned than to sit back and watch their minions (us) make them rich?

This is all a gamble
Absolutely.

I understand your frustration, but it's just part of the business IMHO.

You pay $30 for a domain and hold onto it for 10 years... you would like to get more then the 3,000 you paid for it.
I'm trying, and failing, to wrap my head around this.... Sounds like quite an uphill battle :)
 
Last edited:
2
•••
I believe that the .online gTLD is easily the best extension released to date. They will have a good start over .web and a decent marketing budget. It was obvious that they would smash the domain name registration record and I was personally expecting 75000 plus in the first 24 hours. Hopefully they reach 100k.

I see tremendous future value in this domain extension. There were some excellent keyword domain names available for normal registration price. I pre-registered around 50 .online domain names around 2 years ago and I received around 30 today.

I personally see it as a far better investment to register keyword .online names than some ridiculous .com domain that makes no sense. Technology is constantly changing and .online is a winner.

I also bet my bottom dollar that in a year from now, .online will have the highest re-registration rate and plenty of news to come about this great extension.

Everything is done online these days including commerce, education, business, gambling, real estate, insurance ect.

For example, if you want to learn a language, it makes sense to type in LearnEnglish.online as it is clear
that the services being offered are "online services", not a traditional school.

If you are looking for an insurance quote, Insurance.online is the nuts.
I do everything online these days, including consumer shopping, pay bills, grocery shopping, gambling, banking, holidays, hotels, flights, all online.

Paying 10 bucks today for something like Vegashotels.online is a much better investment than xxxx for a .com with worse keywords or if you are into supplements, 10 bucks for Whey.online is better than xxxxx for the .com. There are 1000s of examples where .online really fits.

There were some excellent geo domains available like southkorea, perfect for an online magazine about South Korea for the price of a pizza. That would fetch xxxxxx in the .com space.

That's just my two cents. I purchased many .com names in the 90s but have been out of the game for years. Excited to be back.

.Com will be King for many years to come and may always be King but you are not a King is the word is ridiculous and makes no sense. The value of the .com market is in decline in my opinion. Yes, you will always see the big bucks for top, premium domains but the rest will suffer.
"online" is an antiqued term that is no longer relevant or necessary. of course its "online", you're searching on the internet. its redundant and ads no value to a domain.
 
0
•••
I would make a simple argument again that I think .online will probably only worth as much as .website names, maybe a little bit more, if feeling optimistic.

Unless you have a KILLER name like America.Online
what about "sellmystuff.online" ;)
 
1
•••
honestly at first i was thrown off and stayed away from almost any new gtld's, until lately when i will only register a ngtld if it has function for a website i would create, it is a fluid pair of words or phrase, and has worth in search volume and cpc "with the .nGtld in the phrase" and without it. As well the phrase or word pair can stand alone and makes sense with the .extension or without it. It has to be able to fit all those variables.
 
0
•••
Chubby, I bet you watch the X-files.

Of course the registry is going to hold off on the extra premium names, that is just common sense.
Why would they let "domainers" buy them up at 10 dollars and keep them forever without developing them.

Someone who pays a Premium has a good chance of developing a website which is want they want.

I think they were pretty fair on the allocation. Remember, .online had the 2nd most amount of pre-registrations behind .web. They released all two word combinations out at regular pricing, all 3 letter NNN out at regular pricing, thousands of 1 word 4 letter words out at regular pricing.

I think they held only the top 1 - 5 percent of domains back. Sure, I would have loved to have received the 20 I did not get after pre-registrations 2 years ago, but 30 out of 50 is not too bad so I cannot complain.

I am happy with what I received, a few NNN, plenty of 4 letter 1 word names and plenty of top GEO 1 word domains.

People can say all they want about .online, I think it is popular, will be popular and they will meet there targets they have set.
 
1
•••
0
•••
Appraise.net

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back