IT.COM

discuss Apparently, .online is trending in 2020. Does it matter?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Rhinnnn

Established Member
Impact
Several days ago, I accidentally discovered a highly searched keyword (1 word) that was available to register in the .online extension. Not as a premium name, just a regular one. So of course I registered it.

Today, out of curiosity, I checked the name's value on Estibot and saw this:

dotonlinetrending.jpg

Why is Estibot saying that .online is trending?

Is it because most registrars currently offer .online domains for around $2 (so many people are hectically registering names)? Or maybe .online is genuinely becoming a respectable extension?

What do you think? Is .online significant in 2020 and beyond?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Namebio shows the dollar volume of dot online aftermarket sales trending sharply down ...
Past 1 year: $18K
Past 5 years: $454K
18/454 = 4%

For perspective, broad domain (all tlds) aftermarket sales are trending ~ flat …
Past 1 year: $153M
Past 5 years: $642M
153/642 = 24%

Estibot may be referring to registration trends, good luck!

•••
It makes sense that the extension COULD perform well. A bunch of brands actually end in "online" so the value could be there one day for the extension. Every industry we now utilize/patronize online instead of in person/location could use this extension.

I don't see it trending too much right now though.

I've seen articles about .online also being popular in China, so that could contribute to be a "trending" extension.

Last edited:
•••
"Trending..." - in terms of regvolume... for regfee.
Doesn't refer to aftermarket.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back