Watch

sameh mohamed

Account Closed
Impact
i just wonder about new domain name extension domain.online
is it worthy to own them or not as the good keyword domain already registered

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I believe that the .online gTLD is easily the best extension released to date. They will have a good start over .web and a decent marketing budget. It was obvious that they would smash the domain name registration record and I was personally expecting 75000 plus in the first 24 hours. Hopefully they reach 100k.

I see tremendous future value in this domain extension. There were some excellent keyword domain names available for normal registration price. I pre-registered around 50 .online domain names around 2 years ago and I received around 30 today.

I personally see it as a far better investment to register keyword .online names than some ridiculous .com domain that makes no sense. Technology is constantly changing and .online is a winner.

I also bet my bottom dollar that in a year from now, .online will have the highest re-registration rate and plenty of news to come about this great extension.

Everything is done online these days including commerce, education, business, gambling, real estate, insurance ect.

For example, if you want to learn a language, it makes sense to type in LearnEnglish.online as it is clear
that the services being offered are "online services", not a traditional school.

If you are looking for an insurance quote, Insurance.online is the nuts.
I do everything online these days, including consumer shopping, pay bills, grocery shopping, gambling, banking, holidays, hotels, flights, all online.

Paying 10 bucks today for something like Vegashotels.online is a much better investment than xxxx for a .com with worse keywords or if you are into supplements, 10 bucks for Whey.online is better than xxxxx for the .com. There are 1000s of examples where .online really fits.

There were some excellent geo domains available like southkorea, perfect for an online magazine about South Korea for the price of a pizza. That would fetch xxxxxx in the .com space.

That's just my two cents. I purchased many .com names in the 90s but have been out of the game for years. Excited to be back.

.Com will be King for many years to come and may always be King but you are not a King is the word is ridiculous and makes no sense. The value of the .com market is in decline in my opinion. Yes, you will always see the big bucks for top, premium domains but the rest will suffer.

•••
Hahaha! True that. There is actually some decent sales reported so hold on to those keyword domains.

Sold one this past Tuesday $480

•••
@Jen-Sin, that is not staying ontopic, that is inviting arguments and probably more offtopic chitchats ;) Besides, everything on the web is "hype"R

I'm sorry you think I'm off-topic.

Domain prices are generally supported by domainers. And domainers invest in the hope of selling to an end-user with a high ROI.

This thread is about the value of .online domain names. And hype plays a part in affecting value or perceived value.

Looking at the activity of this thread, it seems to suggest that this could be an initial hype, and not a sustained demand.

•••
kreuzfahrten.online - Sold for $3041 on Sedo.

I think it means cruises in English or something like that.

Either way it's promising for all of us .online fans here. :)

•••
I've found that the practice of screwing domainers out of domains you search for or put in cart then find the system jacks up there price to as premium cost is now par for their course in an ever changing industry that caters to the registrar.

With the addition of so many extensions now the big boys are yet again finding even more ways to grab more money while shafting the littler guy.

Greed greed greed is the motivating factor of course. When the Chinese invasion begun the execs salivated over the millions more they will easily make.

Get used to it folks cause the domain business is now the bastion of those with deep pockets and wanton need for mega profits while the everyday domainer gets it u know where!

•••
Does anyone here know of ANY .Online sales?? If so, where and how much?

Cheers!

I sold one over a month ago for around $600

•••
1) Yes, actually only joined today. Yes, first day of .online general availability as that is what I am interested in. Is this forum not about .online opinions of domain name value? I have been reading for the past few months, thought I would join. I was into .com domains in the 90s.

2} Yes, 5 message so far, this will be the 6th and yes, big fan of ,online

3) Yes, extremely positive about .online otherwise I would not have pre-registered 50 domains two years ago and purchased my domains. I don't give a rats if people buy them or not. My 5 posts will not make any difference. It was obvious that .online would smash all the previous records. 100000 plus people are also positive about the extension.

I have an interest as I have purchased, I like the domain and was expressing my opinion. That is what this forum is for. My two cents make no difference what so ever, just happy to be on board. It is just strange how some say " leave it alone, has no value, that is just bizarre.

I feel it is the best extension in the market behind .com at a fraction of the price. With the numbers to be released today and over the next couple of weeks, many other people do too.

•••
1) Yes, actually only joined today. Yes, first day of .online general availability as that is what I am interested in. Is this forum not about .online opinions of domain name value? I have been reading for the past few months, thought I would join. I was into .com domains in the 90s.

2} Yes, 5 message so far, this will be the 6th and yes, big fan of ,online

3) Yes, extremely positive about .online otherwise I would not have pre-registered 50 domains two years ago and purchased my domains. I don't give a rats if people buy them or not. My 5 posts will not make any difference. It was obvious that .online would smash all the previous records. 100000 plus people are also positive about the extension.

I have an interest as I have purchased, I like the domain and was expressing my opinion. That is what this forum is for. My two cents make no difference what so ever, just happy to be on board. It is just strange how some say " leave it alone, has no value, that is just bizarre.

I feel it is the best extension in the market behind .com at a fraction of the price. With the numbers to be released today and over the next couple of weeks, many other people do too.

You say that you “don't give a rats if people buy them or not”, but you do find it “strange” and “bizarre” when people don’t invest in the .Online extension. Let me then say something strange and bizarre – that I find it strange and bizarre that people are investing in .online. A couple of reasons:

1. Online is not only an old-fashioned term, but also completely redundant (as I already pointed out in another thread it’s a pleonasm as we are all already online).

2. The extension is also redundant in another way, as you can register an infinite number of (better) domain names that include the word “Online” before the dot, e.g. online.work, online.zone, online.club, onlinecars.com, etc, etc. And equally you can register a domain name with more or less the same meaning: .site, .web, .website, etc.

3. The extension is too long – certainly when the characters don’t add any functional value (see points 1 and 2) and when shorter domains become increasingly more important. I also think it’s not aesthetically appealing when the word before the dot is shorter than the word after the dot.

4. You suggest that the price is better than .com’s, but the registration fee for premium accounts is often over $XXXX (for an unproven domain extension), and the renewal rate of .online is 5 times more expensive than .com.

5. There is already a shortened version of .Online, namely .Onl, which didn’t get anywhere. There are already 2 Chinese equivalents of Online (in Chinese characters), which also didn’t get anywhere. And one for online shopping will be released soon (.wanggou). So no proven trackrecord here, and there is even a danger that the .Onl might become the favorite in case .Online will become better known.

Last edited:
•••
In practice the registries rely on speculators a lot, because it may be in their interest in the short term. Face it, without speculation at all, the figures would be quite lower.
That is to be expected in the absence of popular demand.

Picking up on what you stated here, speculators (i.e. Domainers) are again the driving force behind domains and namely nTLDs. Take the domainer out of the equation and very very few of these domains will be purchased.
It is the domainer who buys them in bulk and essentially subsidizes the initial carrying cost of the registry. If it is not a well funded registry, I very much doubt that they will be able to carry the name long enough to breach the market and make it into the mainstream. Domainers bridge that gap and attempt to make a profit in the mean time.

Consider the idea of a domainer being much akin to a beer distributor.
Great a new mom and pop company is created and they make an awesome beer but it never reaches the stores who's going to buy it? Maybe the mom and pop company is funded well enough to try to bring the beer to market themselves but most likely they will be more apt to allow a distributor to buy their beer and pay the for the logistics/time of bringing that beer to market themselves.
In that scenario its a win/win. The mom and pop company (registry) makes a profit (they sell above cost) and the distributor (domainer) gets to play the gamble game.

In the end, its all about "Familiarity thru Saturation". You get your product in the hands of as many people as possible to get them "Familiar" with it which creates a demand for it. Most people do not like change, they stick with what they know.
I see this same approach on college campuses all the time. A company (software, energy drink, food product...etc) give away large samples (a case of energy drinks, box of power bars), free software license(s) campus wide... what have you.
The idea is to get it in the hands of the people who are most likely going to use it. Let them get familiar with it, let them want it, need it, and then there will be a demand for it. Its like crack... the first one is free.
You get them used to using your software and when they make it out into the real word, they will want to continue with what they know (i.e. your software, which is now on a yearly purchase program).

Anyway... just my thoughts and you cant have them. They are mine!!!!

Cheers

•••
Success of a nTLD is reflected by the number of websites developed out of the nTLD.

"Hoarding" or "Reservation" of names by registers or domainers only hamper end-user take up rate.

Domain Investors on one hand see imbalance in supply and demand to profit from it, but most domains we hold are just our dream to find the "right" enduser to pay a high price for it.

If all domainers hold up domains for a high price, it will only discourage take-up rate by end users, that is if the domains have inquires.

How much of our portfolio has no inquires at all?

•••
"So how does Dot Online.com strengthens the Dot Online since hardly anybody knows it even exists ?
Remember, we are domainers, but the layman has no clue...".

Maybe you not the only intelligent sole out there? I think most people know about the new extensions. They are currently not mainstream as marketing campaigns are only just beginning and most of the extensions released to date have been rubbish. Have a look at the number of German folks who registered a Dot Online through 1 and 1 Germany.

"But domainers want to cash in fast, they generally are not going to hold domains for ten or twenty years. They will go broke and drop out much sooner. Especially when they blew all their budget in EAP, or are stuck with hefty renewal fees. Buying domains is easy, selling them is difficult. And renewals suck"

Who said that these domains have been snatched up by just domainers? I believe a vast majority have gone to people who will be using them instead of some Dot Com that makes no sense. A 30 dollar renewal fee to someone who is going to develop it is nothing. Domainers are not the only people in this world.

"Wait wait ! Here's what Dynadot says:
Code: vintage.online Available Registry Premium Domain $6000.00
You know what I think ? The registries are actually working for us. They are making aftermarket domains even more attractive. Our prices don't look so absurd at all."

Still, 6k is affordable to many business for a prime piece of Real Estate. Better to pay 6K
for Vintage.online that 775K for Vintage.com
You would still have a great keyword domain, same benefits with Google and still have 769K to use on the business for marketing purposes.

Some people make me laugh as they go on about History. History this and History that, blah, blah, blah.
I am only 44 years old, grew up without computers, had no mobile telephones, no satellites. I had to learn to type morse code. That was only 2 decades ago, nothing to do with history.
Maybe it is wiser to look to the future than the past.

Anyone who thinks that Dot Com domain prices are not losing value rapidly. has their eyes shut. Sure, the top 10 percent will always fetch a premium but the rest will be of no or little value in the future.

•••
•••
•••
I personally dont think it's right that this registry's are reserving names as premium domains. I mean surely they shouldn't be allowed to do that...they are a registry and make their money from selling domains names and registering them. Why are they now moving in to the domain investment/trading market, they are pretty much competing with a lot of their own customers now.
completely agree. I tried hand-regging at least a few hundred high-quality keyword .online names today, about 3% were available for normal price, 65% were taken, and the rest were available but for thousands, some over $30k. No one in the right mind would pay that, and any possible end users would cringe at that. Extensions gain traction only if domainers can get their hands on them and start buying and selling them to create value. The registrars are only hurting themselves.

•••
I added dozens of domains in my cart at non-premium prices. As soon as I added them to my cart, the price adjusted to premium. Guess it was a glitch in namecheaps system.

I still got some that I'm very happy with

•••
One of my names Lodges.Online is on auction on Sedo with less than 24 hours left.

•••
There are still around 4000+ llls available as of this writing.
These are being registered quite rapidly.
There was approximately 4165 domains when you posted your comment.
There are 3776 at this very moment.

•••
Many sales are being made behind closed doors. Not everyone wants their sales public.

Yep, that is true with any extension. However, there is no reason the % of sales in .ONLINE that go unreported would be higher than another extension.

A low volume of reported sales is a good indicator of a low volume of total sales.

Brad

•••
I think (hope/pray) that the names that make sense and sound "correct" with the .online will do well down the road. I was shocked that I got ~75% of the ~20 names I pre-reg'd. Was somewhat worried that I got them but hopeful for the future.

•••
The fact that so many .Online names were registry reserved as "premium" doesn't help the future for .Online at all neither.
Ok so the best names were kept out of the hands of us greedy domainers who would likely hold them for years demanding even more than most of the "premium" reg fees........ I don't see the problem, except for domainers maybe...

It's not like any significant portion of the "premium" domains would get properly developed by domainers...

•••
I think it is to be expected that all of the domain names should be made available to the world at large.
No registry should hold names back and especially not register the names for themselves.
Frankly, it's their business, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to charge more for some of the better names. I mean, that's what we do..... They aren't running a charity any more than we are.

The problem here is that when the registry holds back the good names for themselves, they expect us domainers to carry the load and bring value to the domain.
You're assuming that the registry brings nothing to the table besides the domains themselves.... Don't you think they might have a little more planned than to sit back and watch their minions (us) make them rich?

This is all a gamble
Absolutely.

I understand your frustration, but it's just part of the business IMHO.

You pay $30 for a domain and hold onto it for 10 years... you would like to get more then the 3,000 you paid for it.
I'm trying, and failing, to wrap my head around this.... Sounds like quite an uphill battle :)

Last edited:
•••
@ChubbyDfat

Could these registries survive without domainers? No

Does that mean domainers deserve to be gifted the best (of the best!) domains for $10 a pop? No....

You're making it sound like domainers are entitled to killer business investments, just because. The fact of the matter is most domainers don't do squat to help the extension.

Right.... 1300 extensions to choose from.... but yeah, poor consumers, they're sooo limited in their choices!!
Yes, they are.
Nonsense. Sure, the reserved names might be the cream of the crop (of the generics), but they still represent only a minuscule portion of the attractive, usable options out there. People don't need a killer domain like BUY.ONLINE to succeed! and certainly not for 10 bucks!

•••
If ONLINE does actually have legitimate domain sales numbers... why have they been largely absent here (on namepros)?

Besides being 2 days old?
Really???

•••
I doubt that the general public will be able to easily recall .online, especially with 1,000+ new extensions coming.

So I agree with @lock's comment that unless you own advertiseonline.com then you may just be strengthening the .com variation.

I think there's two sides to this coin here beacuse a developed ****online.com may strengthen the equivalent ****.online also.

•••
Yes... if you type it in the url directly on a computer... it will bring up the site.
I am not sure that cell phones/tablets have been updated enough yet for nTLDs. I find the same problem on some of my tablets (older ones) where it just never allowed me to look up a site even if I directly put in the full url.

As far as SEO... I very much doubt that will happen. There is a lot that goes into SEO more then just name match.
Dont get me wrong... exact name match will help A LOT but it is NO GUARANTEE that you will come out as the top search.
You need new/fresh content, back links, proper page layouts with no format issues... a whole bunch of stuff goes into SEO to get ranked #1 for any given word(s). The more popular the word, the harder it is.

Cheers

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back