Dynadot

interviews One of the World's Great Domain Portfolios is On the Market - Why Skip Hoagland Decided to Sell

NameSilo
Watch
After decades spent assembling one of the world's great domain portfolios geodomain giant Skip Hoagland has decided it's time to let it all go. He explained why in a new DNJournal Cover Story:
While the domain investment businessis a relatively new one (having started roughly 25 years ago) it has finally gotten old enough for us to start seeing some of the industry's pioneers take steps toward retirement. That has resulted in some great domains and even entire portfolios being put up for sale.
What we haven't seen a lot of is someone with a world class portfolio built over multiple decades decide to sell it all - lock, stock and barrel - and ride off into the sunset in the way we traditionally think of "retirement." Skip Hoagland - a giant in the geodomain space who we profiled in a July 2008 Cover Story - recently made the decision to do just that...
http://www.dnjournal.com/cover/2017/april-june.htm

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Skip Hoagland's offer to finance the sales of some or all of these domains presents domainers with an interesting opportunity. One of the lovely things about domains is that they provide the most reliable type of security for performance of debt obligations. Automobile debt secured by a lien on the vehicle, and real estate debt secured by a mortgage or trust deed is considered very well-secured, because repo-men and mortgage foreclosure attorneys accomplish their duties relatively efficiently. But compared with the ease with which a domain owner can "repo" a domain name, these sources of security are clumsy, slow and costly.

Skip Hoagland obviously understands what good security domains provide for performance of the payment obligation, because he's offering to "carry the paper" for 15 - 20 years at 3%. I haven’t seen the financing agreement, but this could provide an excellent opportunity for someone to carry away an incredible bargain.

One of the interesting take-aways for me from this article is Skip's comment that "if you are not willing to work 16 hours per day versus just 8 hours, you will never compete against those who do." If you de-personalize the meaning of this comment, what Skip is saying to people in the business is simply that "magic ingredient" is management skill and hard work.

Accordingly, I see another alternative for those, like Skip, with large domain portfolios that have long-term value and a need for current, active management. David Bowie pioneered what are now called "Celebrity Bonds” in 1997, when he raised $55,000,000 by creating a music-powered portfolio and securitizing an income stream from 25 albums. Bowie Bonds were a good investment until 2001, then declined in value until 2004, and finally fell of a cliff along with music industry royalty revenue generally.

So what does this tell you about Bowie? Did he see the emerging trend before industry insiders, or was he was just lucky to pull the ripcord at the right moment? Either way, he avoided the sorrows of many musicians who saw their revenues decline precipitously as the world went digital. It’s worth remembering that his alter ego’s name was β€œZiggy Stardust, the Man Who Sold the World.”

But back to domains. Why would securitizing a package of domains be a good financial vehicle? Well, for several reasons:
  • They are easily protected from theft and misappropriation (provide good security)
  • They provide discrete revenue flows that can be easily tracked and accounted for.
  • They benefit from active management, and the trustees / managers of the security can hire good managers to assure investors that the domains will be managed to generate maximum revenue flow.
  • They can easily be liquidated, purchased and transferred, so the portfolio does not need to be static.
  • A diversified portfolio of domains would provide diversified income streams, so that different social trends can be handicapped in order to surf the waves of future media.
The mechanics for creating a securitization system for domains would not be difficult, requiring only funding from creative investment bankers and crafting of the right documents. Launching the vehicle on an exchange would probably be the biggest challenge, but one that can easily be met when the right portfolio presents the opportunity.

Domainers of the future will want to take a look at securitization of domains. Meanwhile, they can see what kind of deals Skip Hoagland is offering. I'd love to hear what domainers do with his proposal.

•••
Yun Yee to Marchex $164 million? Now there was a portfolio sale.

The Chinese may be interested but numbers and very short still seem to be their cup of tea.Ironic if that's where they went as much of the buying is to launder money out of China considering the sellers anti corruption drive.

Last edited:
•••
Hi Charles,

As a new member, you have provided a very informative post. Thank you.

The mechanics for creating a securitization system for domains would not be difficult

Domain securitization has been a hot topic in China. There are many in the domain industry keen to turn domain names into financial assets. The "chip" is a step toward that, when domain names are treated as commodity for trading.

Last time I was on 4.cn, you could buy and sell units of a domain name. That's securitization I think.

•••
Last time I was on 4.cn, you could buy and sell units of a domain name. That's securitization I think.

Many thanks for the kind welcome to this board, to which I was directed by my dear friend Stevan Lieberman when I asked where I should be posting to enjoy some serious domain chat. Looks like he steered me right.

And thank you very much for the information about 4.cn. I will check that out. Certainly, selling shares of any asset, including a single domain name, can be considered engaging in the sale of securities (the SEC has left no doubt of this); however, the more common use of the term "securitization" connotes package up portfolios of similar assets, quantifying the flow of anticipated revenue, rating the reliability of the anticipated revenue flow, and selling shares in the total package. If this has been done already, I am eager to find out by whom, and how the process is going.

One of the great benefits of securitization is that it increases the liquidity of the entire asset class, and makes it possible for people lower down the food chain to cash out their investments using the flow of money from the resale of the packaged investments. In other words, once domain portfolios are securitized, domains will become easier to sell. And folks like Skip Hoagland won't have to "carry the paper" -- they'll find eager buyers for that paper (which will be packaged into "Domain-Debt-Backed Securities") and be able to carry home the cash.

•••
"securitization" connotes package up portfolios of similar assets, quantifying the flow of anticipated revenue, rating the reliability of the anticipated revenue flow, and selling shares in the total package.
You know finance and investment well. What's your background, Charles, if I may ask? Happy to learn from folks like you. In order not to hijack this thread, I suggest you start a new thread for this securitization topic.

Last edited:
•••
Great portfolio, will be interesting to see what price Skip eventually gets.

•••
It's amazing 20-30 million dollars is not a joke

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back