IT.COM

offers Offered $4,500 for VistaThemes.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Back in May I innocuously registered VistaThemes.com, of course now its value seems to have risen considerably with the announcement out of Redmond.

The day that news hit the wire I suggested to Pete (my husband) that we should not take offers under $xx,xxx very seriously and he thought I might be a little batty “what the blank do you mean, can it be worth that much?” he said; Yes was my resounding answer “it is worth that much”, “it’s the best domain we’ve ever owned”.

What do you think I should do?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My Advice ,Sell Now
Microsoft may very well change name again
Yes they have regged TM every where
But this is Microsoft
That company that could buy most Minor Countries
so no problem with spending Millions on false Trails
If they were determined to Use VISTA surely MS
would have regged all VISTANAMES
Anyhow Sell it now
Pat yourself on your back
and invest in some longterm Domains

•••
The offer has been booted up to $6,750, now, and I understand the risk of sharing this but I’m on a mission this time (I feel like a blues brother).

Last edited:
•••
not sure what the mission is, DOMAIN speculating pure and simple. Good Luck

•••
Hold out for my $30,000 estimate whoever it is are desparate and trying
to get it off you on the cheap before others move in.

•••
I’ll admit I a little flustered by this domain, we’ve had 12 inquiries in four days and they seem to be increasing in frequency and ferocity. I can’t say that I’ll handle this well (my husband has left it in my hands) but I can say this will probably be the biggest lesson in domaining that I will ever learn.

•••
all i can say is good luck, nice speculation, sell when you want to.

•••
slaughterbeck said:
I’ll admit I a little flustered by this domain, we’ve had 12 inquiries in four days and they seem to be increasing in frequency and ferocity. I can’t say that I’ll handle this well (my husband has left it in my hands) but I can say this will probably be the biggest lesson in domaining that I will ever learn.

I have a Vista domain I'd like to sell...
Send all those extra inquiries my way will ya? ::: grin :::

I'm rootin' for ya!

•••
Gene said:
I have a Vista domain I'd like to sell...
Send all those extra inquiries my way will ya? ::: grin :::

I'm rootin' for ya!
Will this ever happen again? If they had only named it windows live, then and only then I wouldn’t have to ask this question. Thank you Gene.

•••
Congrats on the offers.

Just out of interest did the offers come through sedo or did you get contacted directly via whois?

Thanks

•••
Rock-n-Roll! I can't be objective cause Vista doesn't sound good to me. Pick a good happy number & if you get there forget what happens to the name after it is sold. Take the $$$ and reinvest. Taking good $$ and not hanging out for the very top can beneficial. Often the 'turned' $$ can add to more than the top $$ on a single deal.

HANG ON TO YOUR LIVE domains. Have you heard the commercials for live meeting dot com (or is it go to meeting)? Nuf said?

Last edited:
•••
flashpresence said:
Congrats on the offers.

Just out of interest did the offers come through sedo or did you get contacted directly via whois?

Thanks
I’ve only received one offer through Sedo.

•••
•••
hark said:
Rock-n-Roll! I can't be objective cause Vista doesn't sound good to me. Pick a good happy number & if you get there forget what happens to the name after it is sold. Take the $$$ and reinvest. Taking good $$ and not hanging out for the very top can beneficial. Often the 'turned' $$ can add to more than the top $$ on a single deal.

HANG ON TO YOUR LIVE domains. Have you heard the commercials for live meeting dot com? Nuf said?
I will hang onto the "live ones", I have about 100 of them.

•••
I'm not going to say what I would do, because I don't feel comfortable throwing more advice out there, when you've already got so many things running around in your head. There have been some good points on both sides (sell VS hold) made by other members.

What I will say, is that I'm happy for you Kim. You are a sweet person, and deserve a great sale!

:tu:

•••
-db- said:
I'm not going to say what I would do, because I don't feel comfortable throwing more advice out there, when you've already got so many things running around in your head. There have been some good points on both sides (sell VS hold) made by other members.

What I will say, is that I'm happy for you Kim. You are a sweet person, and deserve a great sale!

:tu:
-db-, for someone as wonderful as you to refer to me as sweet, really makes me feel special. God bless you, you have made my day!

P.S. You have convinced me that whatever amount I receive over the original high of $4,500 I will donate to charity. Does anyone know the limit for charity ribbons here?

Last edited:
•••
Do not sell for less then 15k - 15k is realistic.

1. it has no TM issues
2. MS is NOT going to change the name with only 1 year left to release date.
3. the next os version might also contain the name vista (like vista vr or something) it sounds like MS wants to create a more friendly OS and vista is a good apple like name for it. think pentium 1,2,3,4,D
4. it can only increase in value!

This is going to be a great domain for the next 4-8 years MINIMUM (even after they announce a new os it will still be pretty good becasue not everyone swiches os right away)

•••
Congrats Kimberly! VistaThemes was one of the first names I looked at. When I saw the reg date, I remember thinking that somone close to or on the inside of MS must've gotten it, but lookie here!

I haven't read past the first and last post of this thread, but I venture to guess you could get more than $4,500. However, I'd follow the advice of trusted members who havethe most experience in dealing w/ hi$xxxx-$xx,xxx sales, which is the course, I'm fairly sure, you would be taking.

Best of luck, congrats, and a big Grrilla hug. :D

•••
My only added advice ,whatever you decide ,You did Good

•••
Did anyone catch Kimberly's donation announcement at the end of her last post? That could be quite a bit of money donated to a worthy cause (or causes), provided the domain sells for higher than $4.5k, which it should. What a wonderful thing to do!

•••
spikedo said:
Did anyone catch Kimberly's donation announcement at the end of her last post? That could be quite a bit of money donated to a worthy cause (or causes), provided the domain sells for higher than $4.5k, which it should. What a wonderful thing to do!

I agree :D

She could go one step further and help her not so lucky forum pals ;)

•••
I just wanna know who's gonna catch her running with $50, 000 :bingo:

•••
hark said:
Pick a good happy number & if you get there forget what happens to the name after it is sold.

that is the best advice because you could go nuts following a domain and then finding out it sold for more. Just sell and reinvest. At this point it is too hard to know iof the name will be worth anything 1 year from now, although the chances are good that it will increase.

slaughterbeck said:
P.S. You have convinced me that whatever amount I receive over the original high of $4,500 I will donate to charity.

So what was the point yesterday when you were thinking $4500 was too, too little? Now you want to give anything in excess of 4500 to charity? What if you get 10,500 for it? You'd give over 50% to charity? With that charity spending habit, you might want to open up your own charity as you'll need it soon.

Well, anyway...

Be careful when you plop large sums of money down for charity. There is only so much one can give before it affects them negatively tax-wise. People think that anyone can give any amount to any charity and the ehole donation will be tax deductible. This isn't so. There are so many factors involved in how much you can deduct, if any at all. You need to speak to an accountant if you are into donating large sums of money to charity. You will most likely need to set up a business entity other than sole-proprietorship in order to make it worth your while tax-wise. But it all really depends.

Not to mention that most charities are full of S--- anyway. If you really want to help a cause, donate to the cause directly, not to a charity. Charities pay their CEOs too much money because they have to in order to keep the greedy bastards or they will go work for a private corporation. (Same goes for Business university professors.) When you donate to a charity, only a small portion actually goes to the cause. They have too many bills ot pay before they can hand any money over to the cause. Just donate directly to society - if you must donate at all.

domainSPOTLIGHT said:
2. MS is NOT going to change the name with only 1 year left to release date.

Does anyone REALLY know when the release date is? Press releases are not to be taken as 100% fact. Any # of things could happen in the course of 3 to 6 months that would make a company have to change it's course for a sepecific product. It happned before and it will happen numerous times again.

•••
Nice gesture, indeed. But I think that we all should cut Kimberly some slack on this generous offer. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I'm in the heat of the battle, sometimes I have moments when reality get's a bit distorted. I can't speak for Kimberly, but putting myself in the shoes of someone who relatively new to domain name sales, I could see myself sitting on top of a sudden, unexpected windfall and being so happy about the turn of events and content w/ a $4,500 outcome, that I might make the same proclamation, figuring that maybe my name might go for $5,000+/-. But I now see the offer has gone over the $6,000 mark, will probably go higher w/ a good chance that it may end up in the $xx,xxx range.

Kimberly's last name isn't "Hilton", and, my own thought is that a $100 or so is an adequate and generous gesture, on her part, if she should so decide to make a contribution. I think it is a little bit unfair to expect her to donate anything more than this, if anything at all. This is a big sale, a big moment for her, so let's not be sticklers over what she said during the heat of the moment, by casting a dark cloud into the vista.

Thanks Kimberly. I know your heart was and is in the right place, but please hold onto your profits- they are yours- and don't feel at all obligated or feel as if you have to make good on something that you said due your excitement and having a kind and generous heart. Sales like this are few and far between.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, don't feel obligated at all. It was your own foresight and hard work that got you the windfall.

•••
Yeah Don't listen to us! :) Do whatever your heart desires or what you feel is the right thing to do! :tu:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back