Domain Empire

offers Offered $4,500 for VistaThemes.com

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Back in May I innocuously registered VistaThemes.com, of course now its value seems to have risen considerably with the announcement out of Redmond.

The day that news hit the wire I suggested to Pete (my husband) that we should not take offers under $xx,xxx very seriously and he thought I might be a little batty “what the blank do you mean, can it be worth that much?” he said; Yes was my resounding answer “it is worth that much”, “it’s the best domain we’ve ever owned”.

What do you think I should do?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
luke said:
Sell the domain to XPthemes.com :)
I’m suspicious that the people at Stardock are behind $4,500 offer, just a guess though. I wish I owned CursorVista.com

Gene said:
How nice for you! I certainly would be tempted to sell, but I would hold on to it for a few months more. The value of this name is currently in an upward spiral, and that spiral will lose momentum in a few months. The trick is to get all the planets to align at the apex -- to find a buyer while it's at the top. Good luck! Please keep us posted!
I’m just curious Gene, but why do you think this spiral will wind down in a few months? In my uninformed opinion, domainers will likely lose interest but companies will almost certainly start to see the need for many of these names, especially when the folks at one Microsoft way roll out the tout machine.

•••
It's a gamble, it may be that the value increases A LOT when the OS is released..it could also be that IF MS is to change the OS name once more, the value will drop bigtime. Either way, good luck :)

•••
ThreeD said:
It's a gamble, it may be that the value increases A LOT when the OS is released..it could also be that IF MS is to change the OS name once more, the value will drop bigtime. Either way, good luck :)
What do you mean change the name once more? Its only had one name, the same as all other windows releases.

PS. Blackcomb is the codename for the next release but that’s not going the be the actual commercial release name.

•••
Its a classic, almost as classic as that person that regged WindowsVista.com on this forum then let it expire.

•••
derrida said:
Its a classic, almost as classic as that person that regged WindowsVista.com on this forum then let it expire.
You’re kidding me, aren’t you? Did that really happen?

•••
Keep it!! $4,500 is nothing more than a heavy night with the boys on your birthday.

•••
slaughterbeck said:
I’m just curious Gene, but why do you think this spiral will wind down in a few months? In my uninformed opinion, domainers will likely lose interest but companies will almost certainly start to see the need for many of these names, especially when the folks at one Microsoft way roll out the tout machine.

It's all speculation. I'm no more informed than you are, but my gut feeling is that many Vista domains will reach their "sweet spot" in a few months simply because of the market's reaction cycle. Most companies looking for a 'big' Vista domain will have grabbed their domain by then. The few that don't have their Vista domains purchased by then are mostly the short-sighted companies... and are also often the ones who don't have the big bucks to lay out for an exceptional domain later, when the prices skyrocket. That translates to a greatly reduced number of available buyers, even though your domain may have increased to $xx,xxx by then. So the question is, do you want to sell now while there are a LOT of potential buyers, (quick easy sale) or do you want to gamble and hope to sell at a much higher price to a much smaller group of potential buyers (hard to find buyers). I speculate that tide will turn in a few months.

•••
mole said:
Keep it!! $4,500 is nothing more than a heavy night with the boys on your birthday.
You have to be the coolest cat I know of. Have you ever thought of spending some time with the Hell’s angels and writing a book about the experience?

•••
Ditto with Gene said except that I'd hold on for at least a week or two. With the announcement so new and major players not working on weekends, vacation time, etc, give it a bit of breathing room if you can. Personally, I think 4500 is a decent price for the domain.

Slaughterbeck, I don't know of one person that has been in the domain game for more than a few years that doesn't regret at least one sale where they could have gotten more money by waiting. At the same time, I know that most of us who have been around for any length of time have more regrets of sales we've passed on because we THOUGHT we could get more.

•••
slaughterbeck said:
What do you mean change the name once more? Its only had one name, the same as all other windows releases.

PS. Blackcomb is the codename for the next release but that’s not going the be the actual commercial release name.

I read the other day (Check out the article here) that some company called Vista was not amused at all that MS decided to call their new operating system "Vista". If this turns into a lawsuit - MS may be forced to change the name of the OS.

Last edited:
•••
Microsoft missed this chance to coin a new non-TM word. There's still lots of good short brandable ones, and even more available for less than the cost of one Windows license - just ask any domainer! :p

•••
ThreeD said:
I read the other day (Check out the article here) that some company called Vista was not amused at all that MS decided to call their new operating system "Vista". If this turns into a lawsuit - MS may be forced to change the name of the OS.
This is true and something Microsoft’s legal department has already considered and has a solution for, I'm sure (strong-arm tactics:)). However, If they do change the name I could be a very rich girl.

•••
How would MS changing their name be favorable to you, Kimberly? Wouldn't that render vista domains worthless?

At any rate, if it were up to me, I'd be happy with $4,500. But it isn't, so... whatever you decide, best of luck! :tu:

•••
luke said:
Sell the domain to XPthemes.com :)

:bingo:

Even still, don't forget that the bubble can burst... just ask those pope domain folks :bah:

Anyway, I'd take it. You never know when microsoft will change the name again, or even have it called something else instead... (Remember how long Windows "ME" stayed around?)

•••
armstrong said:
How would MS changing their name be favorable to you, Kimberly? Wouldn't that render vista domains worthless?

At any rate, if it were up to me, I'd be happy with $4,500. But it isn't, so... whatever you decide, best of luck! :tu:

Yes it would but I can't say why I would benefit greatly if they did change it.

OvenMitt said:
:bingo:

Even still, don't forget that the bubble can burst... just ask those pope domain folks :bah:

Anyway, I'd take it. You never know when microsoft will change the name again, or even have it called something else instead... (Remember how long Windows "ME" stayed around?)
This is different, though, this is the first major update in five years (by the time of its actual release for the holiday, 2006 season rolls around). Vista will encompass the full court press of the Microsoft publicity machine, even those who have no pressing need to upgrade will think they do, “you better start something and fast”.

Last edited:
•••
Well if they changed the name to Windago for example, you are becoming rich how?

•••
slaughterbeck said:
Yes it would but I can't say why I would benefit greatly if they did change it.

Perhaps you have connections with the inner circle at Microsoft so you found out the Vista name 2 months before its release and you will find out the future name changes before they are announced. :notme:

•••
SharonTucci said:
I know that most of us who have been around for any length of time have more regrets of sales we've passed on because we THOUGHT we could get more.
That is an excellent point!

•••
equity78 said:
Well if they changed the name to Windago for example, you are becoming rich how?
What do you mean?

taheny said:
Perhaps you have connections with the inner circle at Microsoft so you found out the Vista name 2 months before its release and you will find out the future name changes before they are announced. :notme:
No, just intuition.

•••
WHAT I Mean Is this you said If they change the name you would become a rich woman. THat could only be that as Taheny suggested someone at MSFT was giving you info but if they picked a name outside of what that mole was feeding you it is hard to understand where you would become rich. IF it was Vista or SUNRAY that you heard were the two choices then if Vista was changed you would logically think it would be SUNRAY the other name you know but if they went outside of that and came up with a last minute name of Windago I can't see where that would be good for you then.

Last edited:
•••
If you can handle the heartache that comes with waiting and hoping for more, then I would wait. Personally, I would wait for a week or so to see how things shake out. As I said in another post, Justice never occurs when money is involved. I do not believe there will be a lawsuit and MS will payoff anyone anyone they have to to get thier way.

You should have a figure in mind already and not get too greedy. I too have lost deals cause I thought I could get more.

•••
Okay, I give! Check to see how many domains are registered with WindowsLive and OfficeLive even Winlive, around the world in all ccTLDs and I think you’ll get what I mean.

equity78 said:
WHAT I Mean Is this you said If they change the name you would become a rich woman. THat could only be that as Taheny suggested someone at MSFT was giving you info but if they picked a name outside of what that mole was feeding you it is hard to understand where you would become rich. IF it was was Vista or SUNRAY that you heard were the two choices then if Vista was changed you would logically think it would be SUNRAY the other name you know but if they went outside of that and came up with a last minute name of Windago I can't see where that would be good for you then.

•••
oh ok well that is a good bet GOOD LUCK to you

•••
As far as I know, there is not an actual, bonified street date for the release of Windows Vista OS. It probably will not be out until the end of 2006 and possibly 2007.

Given this, it is quite possible that the name Vista might be changed to something else. This wouldn't be the first time it happened with a product and wouldn't be the last.

Technically, Vista is the first market name MS gave the future OS. (Longhorn was merely a code name that was never intended to reach the public, but these code names usually do anyway.) It is very possibly Vista will not be the actual market name chosen once the OS is actually released.

Of course, it is also possible they would never change it again and Vista WILL be the market name upon release of the OS.

However, you have to think, why do you think it's worth more than mid $X,XXX.00? Do you have a legit reason to believe this or is this mere opinion as is with most domain appraisals/speculations?

Is this buyer really legit anyway? As far as I know, it costs the buyer nothing to contact you and have the transaction completed via SEDO. Why would they just contact you directly? How would the buyer benefit from that seeing how SEDO has escrow service which is free to the buyer and helps protect the buyer?

Lastly, greed always loses out in the end despite what the successfully greedy say. Greed breeds more greed and then turns into a vicious cycle. Something to keep in mind.

Good luck.

PS. Are you not concerned that the buyer is watching this thread. I know if I was thinking of buying a domain for that much, I would put a Google Alert out for it in the meantime.

PPS. Why did you reg this domain in May? Was there another reason for the name or do you have some insider info on MS products? As far as I know, the release of the name Vista was not made public before July 2005.

•••
C'mon guys, read closely! My wife (Internet wife) already mentioned that earlier in the thread. And I bet livethemes.com is also registered to her ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back