IT.COM

offers Offered $4,500 for VistaThemes.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Back in May I innocuously registered VistaThemes.com, of course now its value seems to have risen considerably with the announcement out of Redmond.

The day that news hit the wire I suggested to Pete (my husband) that we should not take offers under $xx,xxx very seriously and he thought I might be a little batty β€œwhat the blank do you mean, can it be worth that much?” he said; Yes was my resounding answer β€œit is worth that much”, β€œit’s the best domain we’ve ever owned”.

What do you think I should do?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Congrats! Have you ever won a slot jackpot? Does it feel the same?

My two cents:
HOLD
I think TM fears are weak.
I think possibility of name-change for the OS is extremely low.

What are your development plans for your portfolio in general? This name developed could be a hell off an asset for SEO work besides the steady advertising or affiliate income.

Don't forget that you can always lease the name or partner with a developer as well. (Just be sure and get a lawyer- a lawyer competent and familiar with Intellectual Property Law) It's worth it to spend 10% on a lawyer and 10% for escrow fees!

Make this Golden Goose pay for your kids' college fund! (Also, if you were to ever sell for an enormous lump-sum, you could put it into a trust for your heirs and avoid a bunch of taxes)

All the best luck to you.

Andrew

•••
It is good to see that someone actually puts their hard earned money to a good cause and I think that you should take this offer now because it might not be worth keeping later on since they might have to change the name and also it might might have some TM issues. Best of luck with your sale and if I were you, I would rather donate to the charity directly rather then going through a middle man like Namepros just to eliminate the hassle.

•••
What's this about "charity"? :-/ It's like asking the Domain King to feel obligated to give to the SPCA $50,000 from his lucky strike $110,000 sale of partnercash.com. He'll probably ask you to ... where the sun don't shine.

Good sales don't come like bad breath every morning. A good sale may. in reality, never come again. Take it all, you earn it.

•••
This whole β€œvista” thing is over hyped. You can find scattered examples of β€œXP” names that have been successful but the overwhelming keyword of choice is β€œwindows”. Over in the mac world no one has even bothered to register tigerthemes or pantherthemes. My advice is to sell while it's hot.

But that doesn't mean you have to sell cheap. Hype is hype and commands a premium. You should be able to get $10K+ for that name from someone who buys into it. I'd offer the name at $25k and say that's firm. Punt it around to other potential buyers and negotiate down if needed.

Play to the hype. Tell the buyers: This is a great name. All β€œvista” names are gone. It's going to double in value as soon as Vista is released. X millions of copies of Vista are going to be sold. , etc. And above all else, make sure you unload it before people come to their senses!

•••
You should be able to get $10K+ for that name from someone who buys into it. I'd offer the name at $25k and say that's firm. Punt it around to other potential buyers and negotiate down if needed.
That's savvy advice coming from someone who has been there and, as I understand it, was the chief negotiator for one of the year's top, high profile domain name sales.
Although I agree w/ prima's general characterization of the Vista market as being overhyped, I don't agree w/ his parting statement, "And above all else, make sure you unload it before people come to their senses!", *as it applies to this particular name*, although his $25K set price, $10 K mininum and shop it around suggestion, sort of nullifies the the "unload" advice. VistaThemes.com, is truly one of the premiere "vista" names and, w/ a handful of others, has a shelf life beyond the hype, IMHO.

100% right on in reference to how XP names are currently being used and what the success rate is. In fact, if I would have checked out the XP equivs. of the first 2 vista names I registered, rather than have been operating in the panic-gotta hurry or get beat mode- I wouldn't have regged them. Thankfully, I was able to put the breaks on and take a look at the bigger picture. The big picture tells me that "themes" is in the top 10 list of legal problem-free, useful "vista" names.

Also, anyone thinking that Microsoft is going to make the huge marketing blunder of changing names after their major announcement has been made, (in front of 11,000 employees and partners, no less), there is a a place waiting for you in the unemployment line, right next to the ad execs who used to work on the Scope and "New Formula" Coca-Cola accts.

Last edited:
•••
Don't sell it.. develop it.. build up traffic then sell it for 100k :)

•••
Any amount -- whether large or small -- donated to charity is a good thing.

•••
This is good news for vista holders.

-Dan.

•••
Any amount -- whether large or small -- donated to charity is a good thing.
I agree w/ you Spike and I wasn't trying to be at odds w/ your post, your appreciation of Kim's offer, or the benefits that charity derives from contributions. I just wanted to bring a little understanding into the situation, and felt that it was possible that Kim might not have seen the full potential of this sale and didn't want her to feel obligated or feel that any face saving, apologies or explanations were necessary or expected, based upon one small post that had been a very nice expression of generosity and kind thought. I haven't spoken w/ her, so I don't know what's on her mind. But I think she should be given a clean slate regarding giving away money to charity, and than, after the negotiations are over, the sale is complete, and the dust has settled for awhile, she can make a personal and private decision regarding what she wishes to do w/ her money- w/ the benefit of a clear state of mind and having the complete picture available, to base any decisions upon.

PS Spike, I would act in the same manner if this were you, or any other NP member that had a similar set of circumstances to deal with.

Last edited:
•••
The main danger here is waiting too long and already the potential profit is huge. It is hype that is fueling the current hysteria, believe me I have been there :blink: - you have a good name but the potential buyer(s) may also have been driven by the same emotions that prompted you to offer the charity donation.

If more than one potential buyer then you have an extra negotiating tool, if only one then there are limitations. Offer a "BUY NOW" to the potential buyer(s ) of around $xx,xxx, if they are hot to trot then you will be in the money - but don't wait too long.

Good luck :wave:

Last edited:
•••
Did anyone read this...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/26/AR2005072601673.html

SEATTLE -- There's a line of sewing machines, an elevator monitoring system, even a brand of detergent used to clean dairy equipment _ all bearing the brand name Vista. There are plenty of computer products that claim the Vista trademark, too.

So Microsoft Corp.'s choice of Vista as the name for the next version of its Windows operating system has some intellectual property experts wondering if a company that has been fiercely protective of its own trademarks will get hauled into court.

Cont....

•••
Lyte said:
Did anyone read this...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/26/AR2005072601673.html

QUOTE]

Nice article, thanks!

I liked this part:

"Microsoft actually takes comfort in the sheer number of Vista products out there in the high-tech industry.

"They're all coexisting and have been coexisting for a long time and they haven't been challenging each other," said Russell Pangborn, a Microsoft lawyer."

An infamous guy once said: "Can't we all just get along?" :laugh:

•••
andriegel said:
"They're all coexisting and have been coexisting for a long time and they haven't been challenging each other," said Russell Pangborn, a Microsoft lawyer."[/COLOR]

An infamous guy once said: "Can't we all just get along?" :laugh:

For some reason I think Microsoft will put an end to that. What's funny is that when Microsoft uses a name that has been around on the market - they want to get along. When someone else uses a name Microsoft has been using for a long time, Microsoft sues the crap out of them :) So I say - sue the living crap out of MS for what they're worth until they change the name once again :D

Last edited:
•••
Somehow I think microsoft will be the only winners at the end of the day whatever :hehe:

•••
Logic would tell me that having a small army of independent 3rd party vendors, who are each concentrating their efforts and resources into their own business which, in turn is publicisizing, hawking, linking, disceminating information, and, in numerous other ways, supporting a company name and product- activities that would benefit the company- would have the corporate bosses doing backflips in the boardroom. Than, when the bad apples start causing problems, the legal dept can sue them, but don't stop applauding the efforts of the guys and girls who are doing it right, and doing the co. a service, (albeit, not as a result of any altruistic motives that members of the little army may or may not have.. )

A company doesn't have to pay salaries or provide benefits to the members of their little army- there is no overhead and virtually $0.00 in operating expenses. The big boys already have the power names, and the power websites, websites where all other product related websites will, eventually, lead to. So what's up? Do the lawyers and marketing dept boy's, have the wool pulled over the bossmens eyes so that they can maintain good job security and enhance their retirement pkg?

The problem, IMHO, is that the corporate mindset, (as is the case of it's political cousin), treats power as a commodity, and power requires control. If someone is gaining power, than someone else is losing it. There is no power, where there is no control. Why do you think politics plays such a big part within the corporate infrastructure and why are so many departments run by control freaks and assistant control freaks- regardless of whether they are pedantic micro managers or operate under the guise of laissez-faire coolness and pull the strings from afar? Control, control , control. Give me control! Logic? Isn't that something that I studied in that philosophy course that I had to take, back when I was a freshman in college? Screw logic! It's survival of the fittest, baby. And you know what? I think I'm going to go out there and kick the ass of one of those low lives on the net, who's been trying to suck off of our good name for just too long, now. I'll show these a~~holes who's in control around here! And, jeez! It's beyond me why all of those little people out there, can't get some sort of a real job, like the one's we've got? what's wrong w/ them, anyways?!

Last edited:
•••
Grrilla said:
The problem, IMHO, is that the corporate mindset, (as is the case of it's political cousin), treats power as a commodity, and power requires control. If someone is gaining power, than someone else is losing it. There is no power, where there is no control.

Have you been reading Plato again, la? :p

•••
Thanks everyone for all the interest, I truly appreciate all of your thoughts, comments and insights regarding this domain. However, I have been asked by interested parties involved in discussions for this domain to β€œnot disclose” any future developments involving the ongoing negotiations (I have a big mouth and I think they found this thread :hehe: ) and I must admit to being more than just a little giddy when I discovered how much serious interest this domain has generated from potential buyers, as this is the first and possibly the last time anything like this will happen to me. I’m sorry I haven’t been very active in this thread over the past day, I will try to keep everyone posted.

•••
•••
Grrilla said:
Also, anyone thinking that Microsoft is going to make the huge marketing blunder of changing names after their major announcement has been made, (in front of 11,000 employees and partners, no less), there is a a place waiting for you in the unemployment line, right next to the ad execs who used to work on the Scope and "New Formula" Coca-Cola accts.

All I can say is - we'll see. If they are forced to change the name they don't have a whole lot of choices do they? ;)

•••
ThreeD said:
All I can say is - we'll see. If they are forced to change the name they don't have a whole lot of choices do they? ;)

The thought of them changing the name is becoming laughable on this board. It's just not how the big players work... not to mention it is against the number one rule in marketing: Don't %#@* with the brand!

(besides, they already had the t-shirts printed! :p )

•••
andriegel said:
It's just not how the big players work... not to mention it is against the number one rule in marketing: Don't %#@* with the brand! (besides, they already had the t-shirts printed! :p )

So you're telling me that just because this is MICROSOFT we're talking about, all the other companies using the VISTA name for their products and promotion have to accept that MS will take over their name? Microsoft is still just another company on the market, they are big - but they have to follow the rules just like any other company.

Wether they have the right to use the name VISTA remains to be seen. I for one HOPE a court rules against them, and makes them change the name to whatever other silly name they came up with. I want a judge to put Microsoft back in their place, and stop them from trying to rule the world :)

I said earlier, it's amazing how smaller companies have to accept bullshit when the big players throw the dice. When however a tiny company uses a MS related name, Microsoft is all over them, sueing the crap out of them. It just doesn't work that way! Either the law works both ways, or it doesn't work at all!

and the t-shirt thing - oh well, tough luck ;) I'm sure they'll come up with something else he he..

•••
ThreeD said:
So you're telling me that just because this is MICROSOFT we're talking about, all the other companies using the VISTA name for their products and promotion have to accept that MS will take over their name?

Yes, that's what I'm telling you...

•••
andriegel said:
Yes, that's what I'm telling you...

If that is the deal - I give up on "the system" :)

•••
Microsoft doesn't have immunity against the law - they've been cautioned and sued in EU for their monopolistic behaviour.

But I think they believe they can buy their way out of this TM issue. Heck, they could've bought Mr. Wall even before deciding on the new name and Mr. Wall's ranting in the media could just be a publicity stunt for both parties ;)

•••
Have you been reading Plato again, la?
Busted again. I lifted the idea from a Mickey Mouse comic book. Plato was having one of those corporate rants, but dropped it once Mickey threw him a bone. Of course, I have been doing supplemental research to support this, which includes researching energy displacment models, an ongoing quest to unify Newtonian physics, (particularly laws regarding the spacial relationship of objects), with Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, as well as looking at possible scientific explanations for hubris:
"We fancy, that were we brought suddenly into this world, we could at first have inferred that one billiard-ball would communicate motion to another upon impulse; and that we needed not to have waited for the event, in order to pronounce with certainty concerning it. Such is the influence of custom, that, where it is strongest, it not only covers our natural ignorance, but even conceals itself, and seems not to take place, merely because it is found in the highest degree."

And finally, some food for thought borrowed from Murphy and various other sources:
-The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.
-People don't make the same mistake twice, they make it three, four, or five times
-When the bosses talk about improving productivity, they are never talking about themselves
-Keep your boss's boss off your boss's back.
-It doesn't matter what you do, it only matters what you say you've done and what you say you're going to do.
And, lastly, always remember to...
-Fake it, 'til you make it.

All I can say is - we'll see. If they are forced to change the name they don't have a whole lot of choices do they?
I forgot to add, that there always is a place in the unemployment line for me, as well- right next to all of the folks using their "The End is Near" placards to lean on. :notme: :D

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back