Domain Empire

offers Offered $4,500 for VistaThemes.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Back in May I innocuously registered VistaThemes.com, of course now its value seems to have risen considerably with the announcement out of Redmond.

The day that news hit the wire I suggested to Pete (my husband) that we should not take offers under $xx,xxx very seriously and he thought I might be a little batty “what the blank do you mean, can it be worth that much?” he said; Yes was my resounding answer “it is worth that much”, “it’s the best domain we’ve ever owned”.

What do you think I should do?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
wow I dont know enough to be able to say just wish one of mine was worth that much :hearts:

good luck in what you decide :blink:

•••
•••
Kim, I would wait until Vista has been released.... The value will have quadroupled by then.

However, you also need to think, that maybe the whole hype over Vista domains has inflated their value, so it may be best to sell now.

•••
I'm no expert, but...

TM issues, plus
There are already "a million" or more NICE VISTA domains regd and ready for sale...

Not to mention:

A very healthy ROI and you wipe your hands clean of it.

Guess it depends on your "investment style." Everyone is different.

GOOD LUCK!
Mike

•••
If they change their name again its worth nothing D-:

•••
IMO, you should sell it, while there is demand for them, so many things could happen between now and when vista is released to lower the value of your domain, however, if you are willing to gamble, dont sell!

•••
There is not TM issue involved here, remember when I registered it.

Sabre said:
IMO, you should sell it, while there is demand for them, so many things could happen between now and when vista is released to lower the value of your domain, however, if you are willing to gamble, dont sell!
I’m a gambler by nature but I like seeing what the general consensus is.

•••
Can I just ask did you advertise it for sale or did someone find you? :blink:

•••
slaughterbeck said:
There is not TM issue involved here, remember when I registered it.

I like your ENERGY and SPUNKINESS!

You could spend $4,500 a couple of times over defending your domain and
your "reg date."

Again, BEST OF LUCK! :gl:

Mike

•••
mellowmasher said:
Can I just ask did you advertise it for sale or did someone find you? :blink:
All communication has been through my husbands email as he supplied the contact information on all our registrations.

•••
slaughterbeck said:
All communication has been through my husbands email as he supplied the contact information on all our registrations.

Thats cool :xf.love:

I have never sold one yet so just wondered do people really "LOOK" for sellers of names they want :hearts:

•••
Carp :) i don't even know what the Vista is :) so in my opinion I LOVE THE NUMBER SELL IT :) HEHE
btw where are you selling your domains?

•••
4500 is a VERY GOOD OFFER.
Try to push it up to 6000 and SELL IT !
Good Luck

•••
bizzy said:
Carp :) i don't even know what the Vista is :) so in my opinion I LOVE THE NUMBER SELL IT :) HEHE
btw where are you selling your domains?
I don't have any of the domains that we’ve been contacted about selling parked yet.

Edit: I guess I was wrong, it’s parked at sedo but all 9 inquires have been trough direct contact with my husbands email.

nRnF said:
4500 is a VERY GOOD OFFER.
Try to push it up to 6000 and SELL IT !
Good Luck
That’s what my husband keeps telling me but I think it’s worth more.

Last edited:
•••
Heh...congrats on the offer.

I would settle on an even 5K if I were in your position. Then again you may have a lot less bills than I do so you may have the luxury of holding out. Either way, congrats on nabbing a winner.

AmCy

Last edited:
•••
www.AmCy.org said:
Heh...congrats on the offer.

I would settle on an even 5K if I were in your position. Then again you may have a lot less bills than I do so you have the luxury of holding out. Either way, congrats on nabbing a winner.

AmCy
Thanks, when I registered it back in May I’ll bet I wouldn’t have been offered more than $15 for it.

•••
Get rid of it now, trust me i know what i am talking about.

Reasons for getting rid of it now.

1. Law suit due to TM and yes it is, do not say it is not. Big shot solicitors win and allways will do and they will find away of matching it with a trademark.

2. They could change the name and with the flood of registrations that is looking highly possible.

3. Greed is the enemy of the mind. Better to take 4500 now than 0 if they change the name you will only kick yourself.

•••
I’m sure these prospective buyers understand the copyright/trademark laws and probably don’t intend on using tactics that would violate them.

tipsfromthetop said:
Get rid of it now, trust me i know what i am talking about.

Reasons for getting rid of it now.

1. Law suit due to TM and yes it is, do not say it is not. Big shot solicitors win and allways will do and they will find away of matching it with a trademark.

2. They could change the name and with the flood of registrations that is looking highly possible.

3. Greed is the enemy of the mind. Better to take 4500 now than 0 if they change the name you will only kick yourself.

PS. Stardock, owners of XPthemes.com have been in operation since Feb, 2001 without any difficulties from our friends in Redmond.

Last edited:
•••
I personally dont think you should worry about TM issues as micorsoft has done nothing with so many other sites out there containing their product names which include the keywords "xp" and "windows", the only name they tend to defend is "microsoft". All product names included in domain names seem to be safe from their lawyers.

Dont want to give examples and plug other ppls sites but do a quick search on say keywords "windows" & "downloads" and / or "xp" etc and you will get the idea.

As for the other question of whether or not to sell now, it has already been mentioned that the vista name could change which is unlikely, they already have a page up on the microsoft site and have made official press releases. If microsoft wish to look S*** they do it by producing software containing numerous bugs, not through PR disasters. :hehe: ( in general anyway )

This domain should provide good steady ( targetted ) traffic for around 4-5 years ( possible longer depending on microsofts plans for next version of windows) if marketed correctly. So I guess ask yourself the question, if you believe you can make more than $4,500 within this time period from that traffic then keep the domain, you may also get higher bids during this period. If you are purely into resale , then I would consider selling sometime in the near future, cash in and move on.

Last edited:
•••
How nice for you! I certainly would be tempted to sell, but I would hold on to it for a few months more. The value of this name is currently in an upward spiral, and that spiral will lose momentum in a few months. The trick is to get all the planets to align at the apex -- to find a buyer while it's at the top. Good luck! Please keep us posted!

•••
:xf.love: I'm a gambler too. Does $4,500 mean a lot to you now? If not, then hold on until Windows Vista is released. I doubt they'll change the name anymore because they've made an official announcement and they've registered that name in every country ...including tiny Singapore.

•••
tolkein said:
:xf.love: I'm a gambler too. Does $4,500 mean a lot to you now? If not, then hold on until Windows Vista is released. I doubt they'll change the name anymore because they've made an official announcement and they've registered that name in every country ...including tiny Singapore.
True but they also registered “WindowsLive and OfficeLive” in every country, even more so than WindowsVista. And $4,500 is a good deal of money but not for this name.

Gene said:
How nice for you! I certainly would be tempted to sell, but I would hold on to it for a few months more. The value of this name is currently in an upward spiral, and that spiral will lose momentum in a few months. The trick is to get all the planets to align at the apex -- to find a buyer while it's at the top. Good luck! Please keep us posted!
I will Gene, thanks.

The truth is, I’m not a wealthy person and $5,000 would come in handy, as anyone could attest but it’s not going to change my life nor would $10K or $15K. With this domain I want to pull a “Rick Schwartz” but on a much smaller scale, of course! For all the domainers who ever sold a solid name and watched the value skyrocket a few years after the fact for every schlep who needed fast cash and compromised future revenue for the here and now (I can hear a band playing):hehe:. Someone will make a ton of money with this domain in the future. So, I’m not going to leave any money on the table this time.

Last edited:
•••
Sell the domain to XPthemes.com :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back