NameSilo

Noob mistake

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Finbar

Established Member
Impact
Hi Guys,

I'm very new to domaining, and got a bit over excited over the last couple of weeks and hand registered about 30 domain names. Now that I have calmed down and done some reading it's clear that I have made a classic school boy error. I can afford to lose the money if I have registered nothing but stinkers, but was wondering, do stinkers sell if they are cheap enough?

My thinking is to just try and dump them for what I paid if they are no good, failing that I will just let them expire and call it an expensive lesson. I am glad I stumbled across this place, I might have carried on buying without seeking advice lol.

cheers,

Fin

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You could post the list and see if anyone will buy some here. Which registrar did you use?

•••
Yeah best bet is to try and sell them here in the bargain section or list them on Afternic with a $99 BIN price and leave them to expire. Good luck with you domaining career.

•••
Thanks for the quick response Kuffy,

I registered them with 1and1, I wont be able to sell them for another month or so because of the 60 day thing. I'm happy to share some of the names here, wasn't sure if that was aloud or not, here are a few I think were mistakes.

alarmfitters.com

blockbrite.com
blocktrek.com
blockwit.com
bithush.com
bithush.net
coinfud.net
coinfud.com
(trying to jump on the bitcoin/blockchain bandwagon there)

comicart.co
comicsread.com
doomware.com
doomfix.net
doomfix.com

datecosy.com
frivoling.com
these two have alternate spellings, so people might type in the wrong version.
fudlr.com
khirk.com
(I thought short was good? but estibot says no)
nought260.com
naturalherbaltearemedies.com
orcmischief.com
yachtfunctions.com

That will give you an idea of the standard lol deep down I'm hoping someone will tell me there is a gold nugget in there.

Thanks,

Fin

•••
1 and 1 might be the problem. It used to be impossible to transfer names away from them. I'd be interested to know if they have opened up their transfer policy.

•••
Welcome @Finbar , oddly enough I think your best name there is also the longest one:
naturalherbaltearemedies.com

•••
They are all good names. Learn to develop them with a business plan. Most domainers are just too lazy hoping for a sale someday, which sadly won't happen and if it will, won't make a degree of a difference in their finances. And time fleets away.

Look at all the weird names on the web making hundreds of dollars in their niche. None of them will sell for $20 based on their domain name alone. I see no reason doomware.com cannot be a million dollar business. Focus on YOU, your skills and not the domains. Very few newbies will find quality domains to hand reg, not because they don't exist, but because of lack of knowledge.

I know what I am saying is not easy. This is why most won't do it. Registering a domain and hoping to make a sale, is a much easier expectation.

Focus on development. Otherwise, domaining can be a great hobby and pastime.

Last edited:
•••
"frivoling" is a dictionary word. You could use that to describe the making of trivial posts on twitter and facebook. I thought this was the best name.

•••
They are all good names. Learn to develop them with a business plan. ....

Focus on development. Otherwise, domaining can be a great hobby and pastime.

Actually they are not all good names. I would not have paid 10$ for any of them and I doubt that anyone else will.

If you focus on development, you are not DOMAINING you are DEVELOPING, two different industries. Most people that own very poor domain names will tell you that you can develop them and make money. Thats fine, but it has very little to do with domaining.

•••
My thinking is to just try and dump them for what I paid if they are no good, failing that I will just let them expire and call it an expensive lesson.

Bad karma to pass your bad choices onto someone else.

Look, you take it as a lesson and you move on. Who knows, you may have a few emeralds in your first picks that might be worth holding onto.

•••
Actually they are not all good names. I would not have paid 10$ for any of them and I doubt that anyone else will.

You missed the crux of it. I don't agree with your definition of what Domaining is all about. Let's leave it there.

•••
Thanks for the replies everyone, I must say you have all responded very quickly and made me feel very welcome!

I am prepared to lose on these, so am not too worried, I took a punt, at least I know a little more now. The idea of developing some of the domains is interesting. I hadn't planned on putting sites up on any of these, but I do have the skills to do that if I wanted to.

I have recently discovered the website graveyard (expireddomains), so am learning about back links and domain pops etc. I'm going to hold off buying anything for a good while until I have a much better understanding of things. I have to say, the price of some domains still seems mysterious to me.

Thanks again guys! very happy I found this place!

Fin

•••
I agree with promo to a large extent, but imho domaining is not just about buying and selling. I believe that you are still domaining if you reg a name for income rather than just resale. I agree that developing is a different game, but it is one that you might like to explore with a few of your names as you have already registered them. coin fud is one obvious one, but you will need to understand quite a bit bout Bitcoin, blockchains and mining if you want to use it to generate advertising revenue.

•••
You missed the crux of it. I don't agree with your definition of what Domaining is all about. Let's leave it there.

Its the other way around. You missed the crux of it. But I have seen this definition from late comers to the game many many times. So dont worry you are not alone in thinking that developing a domain is domaining.

•••
"Bad karma to pass your bad choices onto someone else."

Interesting statement, I am not going to force them on anyone, and have already resigned myself to losing money on these. If someone wanted to buy one, I should turn them down because of bad karma? I think I would sell it and count myself lucky, they might be able to do something I can;t with the name.

•••
@Finbar Hi and welcome to namepros! :xf.smile:
I have seen much worse domains from beginners.
I like:
alarmfitters.com
doomware.com
doomfix.com
khirk.com

Like @Kuffy already pointed out 1&1 could be a problem!

In any way take your time and think how to proceed - you probably registered them for one year :xf.smile:

•••
Interesting statement, I am not going to force them on anyone, and have already resigned myself to losing money on these. If someone wanted to buy one, I should turn them down because of bad karma? I think I would sell it and count myself lucky, they might be able to do something I can;t with the name.

Resist advice from people with more knowledge, as your thread says - noob mistake.

I was being nice; these names are trash so I wouldn't push them on someone else knowing that they are complete trash. There is a whole section of domainers pushing trash domains, if you want to deal in $10 domain sales then you are on the right track.

If you want to deal with 5 or 6 figures than drop these steaming piles of trash and go get some better domains.

•••
@1Darko

Yes I need to see about that 1and1 issue, and you are correct, all of these are registered for one year. Thanks for the welcome!

•••
@DomainVP

I need to hear that stuff, so thanks, I am getting into this to learn, you guys are the people to learn from, so I will take your advice on my domains, they are more than likely no good, this is my first go at this.

Unfortunately I do not believe in karma though, so if a buyer presents them self, I will make a sale. I understand you guys that have been doing this a long time do not like to see the market flooded with crap names, I would feel the same in your situation.

Thanks again,

Fin

•••
Just an update on the 1and1 issue. Seems to be possible to unlock the domains and get the key, so I assume transferring is not a problem anymore.

•••
Going forward, it would be a good idea to steer clear from 1&1 ....yeah they cheap for the first year but they are one of the most pathetic registrars in the world (imo - I'm sure many would agree)

•••
Going forward, it would be a good idea to steer clear from 1&1 ....yeah they cheap for the first year but they are one of the most pathetic registrars in the world (imo - I'm sure many would agree)
I agree!

•••
They are cheap for a reason I suppose, I will get another account for the next domains I buy. I'll transfer my favourite ones for practice. GoDaddy seems popular.

•••
I have seen much worse from a newbie indeed.
Some names like blockbrite.com are brandable but rather than buy 30 domains you could have bought just two or three at expired auctions (± $69).
Quality > quantity.
Try to sell at least a few domains before you buy more.

•••
Agree with Kate above, seen newbies with much worse names, good thing is with your comments and posts, its clear you have realized where you are, and you are ready to learn from now and get better with patience and right amount of knowledge. With this you are already on a right track, i am sure you will do well in future with this attitude. I wish you the best. Welcome to NP. :)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back