IT.COM

No one here was nice enough to suggest a title change.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

pteracuda

Established Member
Impact
What's up with all the new spam? I've been with namesilo for some time now and all the sudden I'm getting spam phone calls for domain services and also getting emails.

I just purchased a new domain with privacy even and the next day someone was contacting me through the privacy email.... If the domain is privately registered, how are these scammers immediately getting access to my information?

I know the company is making changes but this seems to be in the wrong direction. All the sudden during Christmas 2019 and the beginning of 2020, I've been harassed by emails and phone calls that NEVER happened before.

It seems like Namesilo's protecting whatever person is doing this as I tried to reach out to contact the CEO office and when I asked for information I was ignored and blocked from support, after of course the person kept answering anything but my question.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If all this stuff is really really normal like all of you say, then why can none of you answer my question and give me a normal answer as to why in 7 years none of this happened until the last 2 months.

•••
We understand you. But spammers activity is not steady, its changing. Like there are activities against spammers. So they constantly move around, change their servers etc. There are uptimes and downtimes for them. There can be less and there can be more. Its like weather. Guess you had been lucky for these years...and then it was over. Thats the story.

•••
I understand that... but I'm telling you it hasn't happened in the past 7 years until the past 2 months, in the way you tell me has been like that forever.......... do you not understand? Is everyone still drunk and unable to think from New Years? Like really guys, read. I get all you guys have said, what I don't get is the same stuff I keep repeating, why it hasn't happened in 7 years until the last 2 months.
It looks that in the past 7 years, either you have been the most lucky domainer of the world, or for any reason Namesilo was exceptionally dealing very well blocking the spam emails for you. The problem with this kind of antispam, is that maybe they can block also a legit email to your private email address.
So I would prefer to get the spam emails, in order to not lose any legit inquiry.

•••
Clearly those CEOs you contacted needed extra cash for xmas. So they sold your details to spammers.

•••
so again, there is no real normal explanation here... Yes I get your explanations and they are all valid, but not once has anyone said that this is normal, but I get normal script answers.

Can anyone else give an example of how it is normal for 7 years of no spam emails and then all the sudden you get spam email and calls?

Me being lucky is not a valid response. I would like answers that are legitimate and require thought please.

•••
Carob that is an accepted response :xf.laugh::xf.laugh:

•••
It would seem that you are over the top and they don't want to deal with you as a customer anymore.

I am happy with NS and will continue to use them as my primary registrar.

You can always take your business elsewhere when you are not happy.

I understand that... but I'm telling you it hasn't happened in the past 7 years until the past 2 months, in the way you tell me has been like that forever.......... do you not understand? Is everyone still drunk and unable to think from New Years? Like really guys, read. I get all you guys have said, what I don't get is the same stuff I keep repeating, why it hasn't happened in 7 years until the last 2 months.

•••
so again, there is no real normal explanation here... Yes I get your explanations and they are all valid, but not once has anyone said that this is normal, but I get normal script answers.

Can anyone else give an example of how it is normal for 7 years of no spam emails and then all the sudden you get spam email and calls?

Me being lucky is not a valid response. I would like answers that are legitimate and require thought please.
Either, Namesilo was using an antispam before your Christmas, or you haven't resistered a single new domain name in the past 7 years.
There you have your response.

•••
Thanks for those who gave actual helpful answers, but obviously domaining is for jackasses.

•••
I agree it's annoying with the spam and scam calls. I have spam emails daily for domains I haven't owned in years. I send these to SpamCop and try to deal with it like that for now. I have noticed a slight down-tick in spam emails once using SpamCop on a regular basis. This seems to help kill the smaller accounts from spamming successfully again from that block.

As for calls, I have a phone # separately for domaining purposes (again, receiving calls from names I owned years ago.) The phone is pretty much turned off except 1 or 2 hours a month and I have it so that no one can leave voicemails, so when they robocall or call from the "call center" they won't be getting through and are just wasting time and resources trying.

Also will tag @namesilo here in case they want to check in.

•••
I am contacting them on support email now and still I just get answers that do not answer my direct problem.

This is 2020 and I'm getting 2008 support it seems like.

•••
Apparently telling Namesilo over and over and over again that they still have no answered my question does absolutely no good as I still just keep getting the same bashing emails how I've already been told something, but they ignore the fact that they gave me an answer, but it was the wrong answer.

•••
it hasn't happened in the past 7 years until the past 2 months
I think you are possibly seeing a correlation and assuming a causation. I agree that messages through the blind email happens much more often than it did two years ago, and it comes in spurts. I have not been around 7 years, but suspect when it was easier to get contact other ways it was not used much.

I can tell you I have a few dozen names at NameSilo and very rarely get them, and have not seen any change recently. I get proportionately more at another registrar.

But I think it is just a matter of what domain names you have different places, and the statistics of small numbers (well mine are small, not sure how large a portfolio you have).

Bob

Last edited:
•••
My spam went down exponentially for the domains I switched to godaddy.
I have not figured out why but there is noticeably less spam from that end because I don't pay for privacy.

Not sure but maybe namesilo has to do what godaddy does with whois because something seems to be working there.

•••
My whole problem is that I moved all my domains to Namesilo to avoid spam like this as I was getting spammed at other registrars, and they don't even seem to care it's going on just recently coming into the year 2020 .... they're just like, well here's why it's possible but I need to know why it's probable. This is 2020 not 2008, a 2008 answer from them isn't doing anything for me as I already know these details.

•••
I have not figured out why but there is noticeably less spam from that end because I don't pay for privacy.
Resultingly, no email is shown by GoDaddy in whois. Neither real email, nor masked one. A few other registrars are doing the same (Tucows for example). NameSilo opted to show masked email, with email forwarding (can be switched off in control panel though). Also, each and every registrar I'm aware of hides almost everything (any type of email including) for domains regged by EU residents, due to GDPR.

•••
Can someone more technical than me (that would be most of NamePros members :xf.grin:) answer does the registrar in any way influence how easy it is to search for newly registered domain names, or how rapidly they appear in the zone? I presume the answer is no, but thought I would ask.

Or, do some registrars put more blocks into how you send a "blind" email to the contact that might explain differences? I have never actually personally ever sent such an email.

Just in the search for a mechanism, open to looking at all possibilities.

Bob

Thanks for sharing your experience, @MapleDots. Many of your names are .ca, however, so for those there may well be less of this happening anyway, I would think.

Last edited:
•••

If you want to know, reply to one of those spammers. They may enlighten you.

Spam comes and goes. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not.

I have domains that never ever received an unsolicited mail, some get slammed all the time. Sometimes it starts right away, sometimes after a transfer. Sometimes not untill after a couple of years have passed.

The registrar is not to blame!

Since you claim NS is bashing you by email, please provide us with a screen as this is out of character for NS. To be honest, the only one bashing anybody up to this point seems to be you.

•••
does the registrar in any way influence how easy it is to search for newly registered domain names, or how rapidly they appear in the zone? I presume the answer is no, but thought I would ask.
DNS zone is still the same. It is one for each extension. And centralized. As soon as any domain is regged - and has nameservers attached to it - it appears in the dns zone. What registrar performed the registration would be irrelevant. So, the spammers will generate a list of new domains regged through all registrars (daily). The next thing would be how easy it is to bulk grab whois (some registrars are unsuccessfully trying to limit whois lookups by IP. I mean unsuccessfully because spammers do use different IPs). And whether any type of email is shown in whois by a particular registrar or no. I'm speaking about .com .net and .jobs only here (thin whois model). All other domains are using thick whois - with all the output processed by the registry.

Last edited:
•••
.US domains not allowed privacy

Privacy forbidden
  • .us: In March 2005, the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) said that owners of .us domains will not have the option of keeping their information private, and that it must be made public.
  • .in: Registrants for Indian domain names may not use any proxy or privacy services provided by registrars.[11]
  • .li and .ch: According to the General Terms & Conditions of SWITCH, the Swiss registry for .ch and .li domains,[12], "... SWITCH is legally obliged to publish ... [the] full name of the holder of the domain name concerned [and the] postal address of the place of residence of the holder ..."
  • .it Italian domain names can not keep information private for law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_privacy
Oh and domaining was never cool.

Last edited:
•••
When I refer to them bashing me, I am referring to them saying they have in some form already given me an answer to my question. Obviously to me they only keep answering the possibilities but again I need details to know why this happens now after so many years.

To you might not be bashing, but when I ask for support and get ignored then get blocked because I ask for additional support, then the emails come in saying I've been given an answer when I haven't, to me that's customer bashing.

Usually when I tell a company I need further support I get some type of further support. Namesilo just blocked me and claim I spammed them because they kept ignoring the question I asked, so I kept asking it.

To me, covering up and not handling any problem like this, or NOT even trying to handle it, shows to be off-character. I understand there's only so much they can do, but to block someone who's asking for additional support, is customer neglect.

And why wouldn't I be bashing some of the people here.... I come here for answers and I'm getting scripted copy/paste answers like I'm complaining about from Namesilo where the users only say how it's my fault.

Why wouldn't I think domaining is for jackasses when I keep getting jackass responses from certain people?

Some are actually trying to help and it shows, and some of you show that you are Namesilo support material with your copy/paste skills.

•••
Can someone more technical than me (that would be most of NamePros members :xf.grin:) answer does the registrar in any way influence how easy it is to search for newly registered domain names, or how rapidly they appear in the zone? I presume the answer is no, but thought I would ask.

Or, do some registrars put more blocks into how you send a "blind" email to the contact that might explain differences? I have never actually personally ever sent such an email.

Just in the search for a mechanism, open to looking at all possibilities.

Bob

Thanks for sharing your experience, @MapleDots. Many of your names are .ca, however, so for those there may well be less of this happening anyway, I would think.

https://whoisds.com/newly-registered-domains

https://isc.sans.edu/forums/diary/Tracking+Newly+Registered+Domains/23127/

https://www.quora.com/Where-can-I-find-list-of-recently-registered-domains

•••
When I refer to them bashing me, I am referring to them saying they have in some form already given me an answer to my question. Obviously to me they only keep answering the possibilities but again I need details to know why this happens now after so many years.

To you might not be bashing, but when I ask for support and get ignored then get blocked because I ask for additional support, then the emails come in saying I've been given an answer when I haven't, to me that's customer bashing.

Usually when I tell a company I need further support I get some type of further support. Namesilo just blocked me and claim I spammed them because they kept ignoring the question I asked, so I kept asking it.

To me, covering up and not handling any problem like this, or NOT even trying to handle it, shows to be off-character. I understand there's only so much they can do, but to block someone who's asking for additional support, is customer neglect.

And why wouldn't I be bashing some of the people here.... I come here for answers and I'm getting scripted copy/paste answers like I'm complaining about from Namesilo where the users only say how it's my fault.

Why wouldn't I think domaining is for jackasses when I keep getting jackass responses from certain people?

Some are actually trying to help and it shows, and some of you show that you are Namesilo support material with your copy/paste skills.

So they are not scamming and bashing you. Glad we cleared that up.

So how many tickets did you raise, how many emails did you send before they blocked you?

What exactly would you like them to do at this point when they have no control beyond their own company and services?

•••
FYI. Some reached out to me to sell a database. List consists of hacked email addresses for entire user/customer base for sites like Sedo, GoDaddy, namepros,DNF, Flippa but not Namejet but they were sure they could get it. All 2.5 million email addresses. All fairly recent.

Of course it goes without saying. Can't be trusted. Especially when they only accepted bitcoin.

No way to confirm if it's true. The "Bitcoin only" is a big red flag. They were selling this "package" as part of a deal to get me to sign up for their SMTP service per month.

$250 includes 2.5 million email address of potential domainers.

I passed because in the end spam pisses people off and is illegal.

But my point is sometimes to jump to "namesilo is sold to scammers" is a big jump in conclusion.

At the very least they like most sites and their databases got hacked and now their customer data is exposed and now being sold online for bitcoins.

If it can happen to Yahoo or Facebook or Chase or Citibank etc etc. Can we honestly feel safe with namesilo or GoDaddy?

That is assuming this offer I got is legit. Plus the "Bitcoin only" is a huge red flag.

•••
SOOOOOOOO I'm in chat support again, and literally am asking for help and they are denying me 100% telling me again they have already answered me through email and telling me to keep checking my email. I'm asking something you did not answer and that is a new question.....

Namesilo is just literally refusing now to give me any proper support telling me they already answered my question when obviously they haven't.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back