Dynadot

No More Handreg Domains!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ategy

Arif M, NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.comTop Member
Impact
So as most of you know I don't handreg too many domains .. but just tried now!

However at both GoDaddy and Epik it seems hand-registrations are down .. kinda curious what sort of world it would be if there was no more hand-registrations possible! Talk about an explosion in the aftermarket .. all our half decent domains would double++ in value almost overnight and only go up from there!

Anyhow .. feel free to discuss a world without handreg .. in the meantime @Joe Styler @Rob Monster @Paul Nicks @Sufyan Alani .. any idea what's going on? Is Verisign down and finally giving the world an excuse to break their damn contract with ICANN?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Internet problems globally today. Here in Norway as well. Can't blame GoDaddy or Afternic for that guys. Lol
Yes if you check at https://downdetector.com/ it has impacted virtually all the big Internet names, so nothing limited to the domain industry. But NamePros and Twitter are up for me, so I am good, thank you. :xf.smile:

You are getting good at writing eye-catching headlines, @Ategy.:xf.grin:

A world without handregs would eventually be a world without domain names, or at least a world without any fresh and creative additions to the stock of aftermarket domain names. I think some simplify don't acquire poor names to don't hand register. I think it is a simplification that actually hurts our industry, partly because it indirectly seems to suggest that money spent on expired auctions or closeouts is always and automatically better. Lots of poor choices are made in the auctions and closeouts.

The emphasis should be on the quality of the name, and not its path (expired, aftermarket or hand registration).

Hand registration is the spring for many creative brandables, category-defining new technologies, new society terms and more. It requires different skills than going through expired auctions using some set of filters. It is not that one is right and one is wrong. When done well, they both can be right.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
I was trying to register .io domain with GD couple of hours ago when I clicked on Add to Cart Nothing happened. After a few hours, it added to the cart but the checkout button was disabled.
Then registered smoothly at SAV

•••
Godaddy's checkout process has been messed up for me for a few months.... when I try to get help their team just tries to invalidate the problem and so far I haven't gotten any help.

The godaddy blog for me has been down for well over a year and they claim it's my cache settings.... after changing laptops and internet providers, Godaddy still claims it's my computer or service provider causing the local problem....

No one on Godaddy's team seems to be able to explain why none of this stuff has worked in the past that they have suggested, they just continue to suggest the same things that have not worked.

Clearly Godaddy doesn't care.

•••
I keep getting a flash of dark, even my electricity shuts down.
I'm scared.

o my, the sky just lit up . its a pig with a chip in its skull.

its talking to me.

anyone else hear this ?

•••
The problems seemed intermittent. I was rolling along on Afternic, but then it said "something went wrong" when I went to save my changes, even though had worked perfectly previous hour. DAN is working for me, as is Epik, NameSilo, NameCheap, but Sedo can't access. I assume in a few hours everything will be back to normal everywhere.

Will be interesting to learn what is the source of these major Internet issues. The DownDetector shows that many, many sites were hit all around, but not precisely, same time.

Bob

•••
I'll be interested to see if Godaddy cares enough to fix the problems I've been having for months and years... so far they are negligent and don't seem to give a #@$^

•••
Godaddy's checkout process has been messed up for me for a few months.... when I try to get help their team just tries to invalidate the problem and so far I haven't gotten any help.

The godaddy blog for me has been down for well over a year and they claim it's my cache settings.... after changing laptops and internet providers, Godaddy still claims it's my computer or service provider causing the local problem....

No one on Godaddy's team seems to be able to explain why none of this stuff has worked in the past that they have suggested, they just continue to suggest the same things that have not worked.

Clearly Godaddy doesn't care.

I don't want to derail the thread from potential Alien invasion , but as crazy as this sounds to you. You only need to access your account under private browser. and or alternate browser if the ladder wont work.
but hey their only a 14 billion market cap , so don't be so harsh on them. this domain biz is all about equality and if anyone disagrees, just ask dan and epik.

•••
The things are much better now. At least GoDaddy opens like a charm, did not try to login or manage anything though....

•••
•••
When there is an outage or problems with the Internet that's the worse time to be logging in into your accounts. Best to wait until the problems are solved before logging into any accounts to test them.

Absent any intentional attacks, Weekends and primarily Sunday mornings are probably when most database and infrastructure upgrades are done for the Internet since most companies are closed. So just give it a few hours and don't rush to login to your accounts until things are back to normal.

IMO

•••
just handregged payRid.com everything seems good though coupon used couldn't reflect in final pricing.

•••
upload_2020-8-31_8-16-35.jpeg

Guys, be careful, I failed auto renew my imminent expired domains, I need to log in GD do it manually.

Last edited:
•••
I've been trying to tell Godaddy about this as my cart / checkout process directly on their website hasn't worked for some time now... they don't seem to care that some customers can't pay. That's why I say, transfer away from Godaddy.

•••
Does anyone find your recent newly regged domain can't successfully park in Dan? Is that the same case?

It's possible a recent owner of the domain still has it listed in their Dan profile. Such has happened to me multiple times. If that's the case, message Dan and they will remove the name so then you can add it to your profile.

•••
I hand reg these at $5.99 each
BuddhaBuilder.com BuddhaBuilders.com taken
lawandrespect.com
lawofrespect.com
humancondom.com
nybcf.com the nybcf.org got taken by a big company
financialcensorship.com
religioncensorship.com
reversecensorship.com

already have offers
takes creativity!!

•••
The problems seemed intermittent. I was rolling along on Afternic, but then it said "something went wrong" when I went to save my changes, even though had worked perfectly previous hour. DAN is working for me, as is Epik, NameSilo, NameCheap, but Sedo can't access. I assume in a few hours everything will be back to normal everywhere.

Will be interesting to learn what is the source of these major Internet issues. The DownDetector shows that many, many sites were hit all around, but not precisely, same time.

Bob

https://blog.cloudflare.com/analysis-of-todays-centurylink-level-3-outage

•••
Everything is okay in Nigeria, no any internet interuption here at all

•••
Tried to update my phone number today and it wouldn't let me
Oops Some unknown error

•••
Yes if you check at https://downdetector.com/ it has impacted virtually all the big Internet names, so nothing limited to the domain industry. But NamePros and Twitter are up for me, so I am good, thank you. :xf.smile:

You are getting good at writing eye-catching headlines, @Ategy.:xf.grin:

A world without handregs would eventually be a world without domain names, or at least a world without any fresh and creative additions to the stock of aftermarket domain names. I think some simplify don't acquire poor names to don't hand register. I think it is a simplification that actually hurts our industry, partly because it indirectly seems to suggest that money spent on expired auctions or closeouts is always and automatically better. Lots of poor choices are made in the auctions and closeouts.

The emphasis should be on the quality of the name, and not its path (expired, aftermarket or hand registration).

Hand registration is the spring for many creative brandables, category-defining new technologies, new society terms and more. It requires different skills than going through expired auctions using some set of filters. It is not that one is right and one is wrong. When done well, they both can be right.

Bob
Good talk ! You are very right @Bob Hawkes

•••
I just had one of the worst domain deals ever.
I bought 4 domains from @mitch007 in here and with domain pushed to GD account. We struggled for more than 1.5 hours to get this done.
It is a waste of time for both parties because the GD system is in trouble.

•••
I hand reg these at $5.99 each
BuddhaBuilder.com BuddhaBuilders.com taken
lawandrespect.com
lawofrespect.com
humancondom.com
nybcf.com the nybcf.org got taken by a big company
financialcensorship.com
religioncensorship.com
reversecensorship.com

already have offers
takes creativity!!
Congrats in getting offers. Take the money
Long live hand reggaę. Easy moneÿ

•••
I just had one of the worst domain deals ever.
I bought 4 domains from @mitch007 in here and with domain pushed to GD account. We struggled for more than 1.5 hours to get this done.
It is a waste of time for both parties because the GD system is in trouble.

1.5 hours is nothing. A while back it took me days and I eventually ended up asking Joe to look into it.

He sorted me out withing the hour. He's got supernatural powers. As long as people like him are at GD they still make a chance.

•••
Yes there was a pretty big problem on the Internet yesterday that impacted a lot of people with a major service provider being down. We have redundancy in place and were not down too long but there are other companies that were impacted as well so even if we were up it doesn't mean there wasn't ripple effects around the internet with other companies.

•••
In a world without handreg number of registered domains will drop to 10% thats because 90% of domains will be dropped within a year.

Will it make a better world? Probably yes because we suddenly get more effective internet without contentless websites and more curated Aftermarket without worthless domains.

Last edited:
•••
I like hand-registering domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back