NameSilo

No More Handreg Domains!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ategy

Arif M, NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.comTop Member
Impact
So as most of you know I don't handreg too many domains .. but just tried now!

However at both GoDaddy and Epik it seems hand-registrations are down .. kinda curious what sort of world it would be if there was no more hand-registrations possible! Talk about an explosion in the aftermarket .. all our half decent domains would double++ in value almost overnight and only go up from there!

Anyhow .. feel free to discuss a world without handreg .. in the meantime @Joe Styler @Rob Monster @Paul Nicks @Sufyan Alani .. any idea what's going on? Is Verisign down and finally giving the world an excuse to break their damn contract with ICANN?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Internet problems globally today. Here in Norway as well. Can't blame GoDaddy or Afternic for that guys. Lol
Yes if you check at https://downdetector.com/ it has impacted virtually all the big Internet names, so nothing limited to the domain industry. But NamePros and Twitter are up for me, so I am good, thank you. :xf.smile:

You are getting good at writing eye-catching headlines, @Ategy.:xf.grin:

A world without handregs would eventually be a world without domain names, or at least a world without any fresh and creative additions to the stock of aftermarket domain names. I think some simplify don't acquire poor names to don't hand register. I think it is a simplification that actually hurts our industry, partly because it indirectly seems to suggest that money spent on expired auctions or closeouts is always and automatically better. Lots of poor choices are made in the auctions and closeouts.

The emphasis should be on the quality of the name, and not its path (expired, aftermarket or hand registration).

Hand registration is the spring for many creative brandables, category-defining new technologies, new society terms and more. It requires different skills than going through expired auctions using some set of filters. It is not that one is right and one is wrong. When done well, they both can be right.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Probably just sharks gnawing on the transatlantic fiberoptic cables again.

•••
Yes there was a pretty big problem on the Internet yesterday that impacted a lot of people with a major service provider being down. We have redundancy in place and were not down too long but there are other companies that were impacted as well so even if we were up it doesn't mean there wasn't ripple effects around the internet with other companies.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Internet problems globally today. Here in Norway as well. Can't blame GoDaddy or Afternic for that guys. Lol

•••
So as most of you know I don't handreg too many domains .. but just tried now!

However at both GoDaddy and Epik it seems hand-registrations are down .. kinda curious what sort of world it would be if there was no more hand-registrations possible! Talk about an explosion in the aftermarket .. all our half decent domains would double++ in value almost overnight and only go up from there!

Anyhow .. feel free to discuss a world without handreg .. in the meantime @Joe Styler @Rob Monster @Paul Nicks @Sufyan Alani .. any idea what's going on? Is Verisign down and finally giving the world an excuse to break their damn contract with ICANN?

Could be connection issue with V as I noticed a few other US based sites were timing out a few hours ago.

I'm kind of relieved if it's down at the moment as I've been on a mad registration spree ;)

•••
I only hand reg domains

That way i hand reg thedomain names of my tech venture ideas at the time of having my tech venture concepts which gives me a date and time of idea which i can look back at to see how far ahead or behind facebook and google i was when i had the tech idea etc

I dont need to buy the domains of other peoples ideas

•••
GD can't help it. And it will spread further. Level3/CL has major issues. It is affecting carriers. Their DNS (4.2.2.2) is down which is widely used.

Edit: also issues at Cloudflare which doesn't help either:
https://www.cloudflarestatus.com/

Last edited:
•••
"hand-registrations are down"

What do you mean by that ? Are you unable to reg or trying to reg fresh expires ?

•••
Is this a reverse psychology test?..

kinda curious what sort of world it would be if there was no more hand-registrations possible! Talk about an explosion in the aftermarket
Initially an explosion perhaps, but killing hand-regs would eventually also kill the aftermarket. Something else like a blockchain-based internet would come and fill the void..quickly.

Last edited:
•••
There is something wrong globally. A number of websites are partially available. Afternic is up for me for example, some other (non-domaining) stuff is down.

Now we will see what registrars and hosting companies are REALLY stable, I mean really and not just in heads of their PR departments.

Last edited:
•••
My 6 sense tells me something not good.
kinda curious what sort of world it would be if there was no more hand-registrations possible!
It is a good dream for those who occupying huge amount of domain names.:woot:

•••
Afternic down from Spain too

Last edited:
•••
Oh...yeah, I remember now, I put domain in my cart then can't finish the payment in Godaddy, so I use vpn tried to change to some different country then it worked.
and I thought that was my home internet problem...

Last edited:
•••
I've been unable to use their checkout for quite a while now.. when I try to get help, it's like they don't care enough to sway away from the scripted answers, and when that doesn't work, the customer of course gets blamed further for something Godaddy isn't fixing that is their problem.

When Godaddy doesn't care that a customer can't pay because of an error in their checkout process, then that's very sh$##% of them to treat customers this way. Customers paying keeps them alive, and if they don't care that a customer can't pay.... it means you should probably transfer away from Godaddy.

•••
The problems seemed intermittent. I was rolling along on Afternic, but then it said "something went wrong" when I went to save my changes, even though had worked perfectly previous hour. DAN is working for me, as is Epik, NameSilo, NameCheap, but Sedo can't access. I assume in a few hours everything will be back to normal everywhere.

Will be interesting to learn what is the source of these major Internet issues. The DownDetector shows that many, many sites were hit all around, but not precisely, same time.

Bob

•••
•••
When there is an outage or problems with the Internet that's the worse time to be logging in into your accounts. Best to wait until the problems are solved before logging into any accounts to test them.

Absent any intentional attacks, Weekends and primarily Sunday mornings are probably when most database and infrastructure upgrades are done for the Internet since most companies are closed. So just give it a few hours and don't rush to login to your accounts until things are back to normal.

IMO

•••
The problems seemed intermittent. I was rolling along on Afternic, but then it said "something went wrong" when I went to save my changes, even though had worked perfectly previous hour. DAN is working for me, as is Epik, NameSilo, NameCheap, but Sedo can't access. I assume in a few hours everything will be back to normal everywhere.

Will be interesting to learn what is the source of these major Internet issues. The DownDetector shows that many, many sites were hit all around, but not precisely, same time.

Bob

https://blog.cloudflare.com/analysis-of-todays-centurylink-level-3-outage

•••
I like hand-registering domains.

•••
I agree, most hand reg'd domains I see are junk that I wouldn't even spend $1 to register. Peeps have probably said that about some of my domains too, since 95% are hand reg'd by myself. As a noob, that's all I did. Down the road, I purchased some better ones in the aftermarket. It took time, and several sales under my belt to be able to discern what qualifies as good. I don't hand register domains as often as before (during my name addiction phase) since having reg'd a large quantity, I couldn't afford to renew them all and I had to drop many. Some were picked up and used by large companies and organizations, so those were actually good names afterall. :oops: It's funny because the users paid more in the aftermarket than I was asking to begin with. O_o I learned some valuable lessons along the way.

I still find a few gems every now and then when a fresh idea strikes me and I find it's still available, and only if I am confident in renewing.
I've traveled some of the same roads you have, but no aftermarket junk for me. I hand reg with a purpose in mind. I'm either searching for restaurant and food service domains, real estate and contract/builder domains, healthcare domains and sports/entertainment domains for example. I'm mostly hand registering domains that I'd use myself if I were to open a restaurant, start a real estate firm or provide healthcare services. My biggest problem to date is getting my domains in front of the "end users" who might be interested in them.

Fortunately I'm a pretty good player of games like charades, scrabble and even chess all of which require imagination, creativity and strategic thinking. I just wish I'd learned about this game earlier instead of playing Ketchup:xf.rolleyes:

•••
Rich, not sure if you're still doing ngTLDs but starting from Monday Epik will be running a $1 .realty promo. Might be of interest to you.
Yeah I saw that, and being in the real estate business I may pick up a few to try to unload within the year. However with a $299 annual renewal I won't be holding on to any after twelve months. Thanks for the heads up(y)

•••
Looks like a lot of GoDaddy's services are down right now - can't access my domain list and my websites that are hosted on GoDaddy aren't resolving.

•••
Yep...afternic is down for me...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back