Dynadot

opinion No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Damn, it's infuriating trying to help some people.

I was on GoDaddy going through the latest Closeouts when a .COM brand I recognized just popped up. I made sure I wasn't imagining it and then decided to play Good Samaritan (it's a small company I read about in an online article) and advise them through their website that their 6-letter brand (they operate under a much longer name) was available for an $11 Buy it Now at GoDaddy.

It's a small company and I had no desire to try and squeeze any profit out of them, so I just provided the GoDaddy link and thought my job was done.

The first reply was was immediate, and from the owner, with the usual "is this legit?" type questions, so I reply... "Yes, it's available on GoDaddy", which is essentially the Walmart of domains, and tell him to act fast because short & brandable Closeouts go fast. At this point the domain is still available.

His second reply thanks me and tells me that he's going to "look into it". So I reply back one more time to act fast if he wants to own the online brand as short domains like this go fast. I check and the domain is still available.

The third reply is asking more questions, like I'm some font of information, and I again recommend he just spend the BIN price and secure his online brand. I check again and the domain is still available.

About 30 minutes later, I get an irate reply back that he has finally decided to buy it, but the domain is no longer available and what I can do about it. That's it for me, bye bye. :punch::punch::punch:

Seriously, helping people is often just not worth it, as it progressed from me being a possible scammer to me being a guardian angel to me being a bad guy, since it took him almost an hour to decide on an $11 BIN.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
i remember around 2yrs ago when one can still renew a domain that is on expire auction. The domain chidi.com was own by my country man and this was his real name which has value because i came from same tribe....domain was already $17,000 plus bid via godaddy auction with about 2days to go, i tried my best to reach him even @jideofor tried reaching him without success, i was able to reach the son and daughter of the owner explain myself and told them to hurry and ask their dad to renew his domain because it was less than a day before it expire. Too bad they did not take it serous....the domain sold for $18250, ahh godaddy pocketed the $18250 that my country man should have renewed for only $80. He lost this valuable domain that means alot in our tribe. I felt like crying for this big mistake...well it is gone....forward ever.

Last edited:
•••
The domain chidi.com was own by my country man and this was his real name which has value because i came from same tribe....
Wait, what?!

•••
•••
•••
I would like to comment at the risk of making some feel uncomfortable. The domain business is just that, a business. I too, have been in this position, but what I started to do was send an email, and offer my service of obtaining the domain name on their behalf, for a $20.00 fee, but I always included how to obtain the domain name on their own. What I realized, that most general business owners have no idea what the word domain name means, let alone the steps of obtaining it. I would say 99% of the time, I am asked to go ahead and purchase the domain name for them. I set up a seperate GoDaddy account for them and release the username/password once they pay me on paypal. Now, once they pay you for the domain name, ask if they need a website. If they say yes, sell that information to a web design company and collect a commision for the lead. Try turning the table and make a few bucks for 5 minutes of your time.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back