NameSilo

Nissan vs Nissan Once again

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Becuase this issue affects us all personally, I think it's only right to once again post this issue (at least once a year for all the new people)

Mr. Uzi Nissan began a computer business in the early 80's while Nissan Motors USA was still only known as Datsun. Mr Nissan, owning a computer business, developed a website in the early 90's using the name www.Nissan.com. In the ensuing years, Nissan motors sued for the domain name and to this day, the domain is forbidden by court rulings to remain a non-business website, although it remains in Mr Nissans control.

for more information on this absurd case and to help mr Nissan with links, contacting the media and Nissan motors, please visit either www.Nissan.com or www.Digest.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well to be honest I'd consider my view impartial in this matter. I heard about this case a while back but never paid any attention to it until I read this thread. IMHO Mr. Nissan registered a domain name of a trademark that was already owned by the company. I don't think he registered the name to knowingly cybersquat on but laws and laws and it appears to me that he's violating their trademark. Personally, I'm sure Nissan Motors offered a fair price for the domain in the first place and I would have taken it. The domain is virtually useless right now and IMHO the case could very easily go against him.

•••
i dunno..they seemed to have lost the cyber squating case against Uzi as noted here:

1) CyberSquatting claim, in favor of Nissan Computer.
2) Infringement on non-auto-related claim, in favor of Nissan Computer.
3) Infringement on auto-related claim, in favor of Nissan Motor.
4) Dilution, in favor of Nissan Motor.
5) And issued a Permanent Injunction, allowing Nissan Computer to keep operating nissan.com and
nissan.net domain names, but prohibited us from:

a) Posting Commercial content at nissan.com and nissan.net.
b) Posting Posting advertising (and permitting advertising to be posted by third parties) at
nissan.com and nissan.net.
c) Posting disparaging remarks or negative commentary regarding Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. or
Nissan North America, Inc. at nissan.com and nissan.net.
d) Placing, on nissan.com or nissan.net, links to other websites containing commercial content,
including advertising.
e) Placing, on nissan.com or nissan.net, links to other websites containing disparaging remarks
or negative commentary regarding Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. or Nissan North America, Inc.

But I find it ironic nissan motors (aka: the jerks henceforth) is sueing now ($10,000,000) for freedom of speech against the rulings.

Wait, he cant have (Uzi) freedom of speech in using his name.. but "the jerks" do?

It is still extremely apparent to me, though I know others disagree.

Nissan motors is just wrong. If it happened to you, I'm sure you would agree.

•••
I would have give the domain a long time ago. A company like Nissan Motors would have paid a good deal for that domain. Plus it also saves all the hassle of going to court and being sued and all that crap.

•••
i would keep domain until the end, i wouldnt give it up, i beleive a domain should stay in the possession of who registered it, if the other company are too late, tough look, they can buy or suffer, they shouldnt be allowed to take the domain because they happen to have the name nissan as there company, if i would buy rogers.com and i found out theres a company names rogers, it shouldnt mean they can steal my domain

microsoft are the worts, suing mikerowesoft.com his name is mike rowe damnit, they took him to court after he offered to sell it, aaah these people that sue for the domains annoy me, its there own fault for taking too long (haha nissan have .co.uk lmao, awwww no .com )

•••
I think Mr. Uzi Nissan should be able to keep: nissan.com. Nissan cars should have to buy it from him!

•••
I agree, the Nissan company should have to buy it from him if they want it. The fact that his last name is Nissan is good enough for me that he is the rightful owner of the name and should only give up the name if he chooses. It all boils down to if you snooze you lose, being a billion dollar company they should know that first hand.

•••
yeap, Mr. nissan should be able to keep the name with full rights. If Nissan Motors wants it, then they should have to buy it (funny thing is that had they put the amount of money that they are spending wuing him to buying the name, it would probably be theirs right now) That or they could pay Mr. Nissan to put up a link at the top of the page that says "This is the website of Nissan Computers. Nissan Motors can be found by clicking this link"

•••
We should start a petition for Mr. Uzi Nissan =]

•••
The best thing to do IMO: he should post a picture of himself taking a big coiled steamy dump on a new nissan car for all the millions of annual visitors to see and the slogan:

"Buy American Cars....like Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, because they all own their company domains!" :p

•••
domaindawg said:
The best thing to do IMO: he should post a picture of himself taking a big coiled steamy dump on a new nissan car for all the millions of annual visitors to see and the slogan:

"Buy American Cars....like Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, because they all own their company domains!" :p

=] lol wuts imo (image money order? lol)

•••
Uzi Nissan chose to register Nissan.com than NissanComputers.com because Nisssan.com is shorter and easy to type and remember. :D

This Nissan story is similar to www.milka.fr

•••
Jeffrey said:
Uzi Nissan chose to register Nissan.com than NissanComputers.com because Nisssan.com is shorter and easy to type and remember. :D

This Nissan story is similar to www.milka.fr

Yeah it just really sux for him right now because of all the legal issues going on & Nissan Cars suing him. Dang on his site he should put it up on sedo parking or put google adsense on it lol =]

•••
ummmm.......jammin, "IMO" means "in my opinion"...of course IMO.. ;)

•••
GT Web said:
he is a greedy idiot, I mean honestly, its not like he is doing anything with the domain now because of the rulings...

he thinks that standing up to Nissan and losing a few hundred grand is a smart call...lol

NO. He is a man of principle, NOT a greedy man, there is a difference. Principle is not something you find that easily in a human being these days, except for most of the middle eastern terrorists.

The greedy one here is Nissan Motors, who also cannot deal with the fact that they snoozed and they lost to a guy with the last name NISSAN.

Mr. Nissan is standing up for his right to own the domain and to ask any price for the sale of it or not sell it at all. This is America, gdmit! Not only is it his own "god-geven" family name, he used it as his comany's name and even before Nissan changed fom Datsun to Nissan (before Nissan was Nissan).

GT Web said:
I mean honestly, its not like he is doing anything with the domain now because of the rulings...

That is the point. He WOULD be doing something with his site if our judicial system and government had not been infiltrated by fascists.

I sure hope Mr. Nissan is counter-suing Nissan Motors for lost revenue as well because he too is losing money every day that he is not allowed to develop the site for his own business's growth and profit.

This case is clear. Not all cases where the domain owner owns a copyrighted name is the domain owner a cybersquatter. this is one of them. Mr. Nissan is the rightful owner of this domain name and has the right to develop it in any way he sees fit - except anything related at all to nissan motors, fo profit or for just pleasure. Forget his computer business, it's his god-given family name for crying out loud!

I don;t know where you're from, but this is America. We do not believe in the government telling us what to do, and for good reasons that the rest of the world knows all too well (but tends to forget frequently). We need to be telling the government what to do. End of story.

•••
wow, all of this reading is really amazing, i dont know what to believe and what to say.

But live goes on and mr Uzi has to make an statement before he dies that he will expand the domain with a other 10 years and ownership to a close relative :)

oh well, live goes on. :sold:

•••
xlusive said:
But live goes on and mr Uzi has to make an statement before he dies that he will expand the domain with a other 10 years and ownership to a close relative :)

And make sure: a) the relative's last name is Nissan also, and b) he shouldn't
be having any car links whatsoever.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back