IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Moving on from the 3D, Cloud , NFC, Marijuana etc....trends, what do people think will be the next big money maker for the domainer?

I have a few Big Data domains but I like my hand in several dishes so if anyone would like to share their thoughts I'm sure a lot of domainers would appreciate any insights to what's gonna be hot or not.

Cheers

Stu

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Turning down a 5 figure offer is suicide IMO. Surely 6 figs isn't feasible...

•••
The iwatch can easily be an item most people don't need. Combine that with google glasses that some people describe as nerdy and dorky, we can find ourselves back to having a smart phone in the pocket all the 'wearable' we need.

•••
for me personally I'm in the film business and I'm really looking forward to seeing what I can create with google glass it's the best POV one could have + still allowing the hands to be free...capturing your own reality as it happens is pretty neat.

•••
Turning down a 5 figure offer is suicide IMO. Surely 6 figs isn't feasible...

... getting to a six figure outcome doesn't typically start as a six figure negotiation... attaining six figure status takes a LOT of saying "No Thank You" to some nice five figure offers.

.. i agree that it must be very hard to turn down a significant five figure offer - but i also thank and commend the men and women who DO and pave the way for us all in this industry and make the idea that a domain name CAN be worth as much as six/seven figures.

... i also think it's very easy to say no to a lot of figures if your bank account allows you to :)

•••
for me personally I'm in the film business and I'm really looking forward to seeing what I can create with google glass it's the best POV one could have + still allowing the hands to be free...capturing your own reality as it happens is pretty neat.

But is it as feasible as using a mobile phone? How many folks walk around with shades on? It's a cool gimmick but not reality for the masses IMO.

•••
But is it as feasible as using a mobile phone? How many folks walk around with shades on? It's a cool gimmick but not reality for the masses IMO.

technologyreview.com/review/428212/you-will-want-google-goggles

•••
I feel like once users start using Google Glass, there’s no end to it uses.

you guys have prob seen the video below ... those who haven't enjoy

[ame="http://youtu.be/9c6W4CCU9M4"]http://youtu.be/9c6W4CCU9M4[/ame]

[ame="http://vimeo.com/6540668"]http://vimeo.com/6540668[/ame]

When you guys get time go to youtube type in *

Biting Elbows - Bad Motherf**ker - awesome POV music video :)

Last edited:
•••
See attached PDF file.

Trends are self-evident based on the domain keywords.

I'm dropping 98% of these. I'm done. :td:

Attachments

• Future Trends.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 183
•••
I feel like once users start using Google Glass, there’s no end to it uses.

you guys have prob seen the video below ... those who haven't enjoy

http://youtu.be/9c6W4CCU9M4

http://vimeo.com/6540668

When you guys get time go to youtube type in *

Biting Elbows - Bad Motherf**ker - awesome POV music video :)
No doubt it's a cool product. Trying to profit off this one will be tough IMO. Too specific!

•••
---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
See attached PDF file.

Trends are self-evident based on the domain keywords.

I'm dropping 98% of these. I'm done. :td:

I like the 2% your gonna keep :)

Last edited:
•••
I heard on the news that researches were already working on Contact Lenses that could do the same thing, I wonder how long it would be before we saw them on the market.

I got:

HudContacts.com
HudContactLenses.com

(HUD = Heads Up Display)

PS: you can search for “ Hud Contact Lenses ” with quotes to learn more about them, (searching for “ Hud Contacts “ will show mostly housing related results at the moment).

Last edited:
•••
Or..., more and higher offers come in. B-)

Yes that happens all the time!

The most likely scenario is that "seller" having already spent the proceeds of the "sale" in their head are left pondering- why didn't I accept that offer and move on.

The "end user" is the holy grail of our business and are rare birds indeed. Most domainers are lucky if one or two come along during the time they are in the business.

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

... getting to a six figure outcome doesn't typically start as a six figure negotiation... attaining six figure status takes a LOT of saying "No Thank You" to some nice five figure offers.

And how many times have you been in this situation?

•••
I always think the hardest part about future trends is the companies that develop and market them will use their own branding. iWearables.com sounds like a brand to me so I can see someone wanting that, now I will agree I am not sure I could turn down low five figures like Kevin did, but then again, a lot more plays into it than just an offer, when you don't know anything really about a domainer except their username and some domains they own, you have no idea what that xx,xxx represents. Rick Schwartz could afford to turn down offers on ireport.com to get to $750,000. Personally I could not have turned down an initial $25,000, not because I did not like the name, I actually came up with a concept for ireport before CNN ever had it on their network.

The risk reward based on my financial situation would not work turning down $25,000. Mike Berkens once said he got an offer of $100,000 on Fashion Models.com and turned it down over a decade ago, he has not had another offer. He can sleep peacefully at night with his net worth and portfolio and rejecting $100,000, many cannot do that.

Its equivalent to the married guy with 3 kids in an office dealing with a douchebag boss and a single guy with no responsibility but himself. The single guy can tell the boss to go F off, the married guy with kids has to put up with a lot more and make undesirable decisions based on other factors.

•••
I always think the hardest part about future trends is the companies that develop and market them will use their own branding. iWearables.com sounds like a brand to me so I can see someone wanting that, now I will agree I am not sure I could turn down low five figures like Kevin did, but then again, a lot more plays into it than just an offer, when you don't know anything really about a domainer except their username and some domains they own, you have no idea what that xx,xxx represents. Rick Schwartz could afford to turn down offers on ireport.com to get to $750,000. Personally I could not have turned down an initial $25,000, not because I did not like the name, I actually came up with a concept for ireport before CNN ever had it on their network.

The risk reward based on my financial situation would not work turning down $25,000. Mike Berkens once said he got an offer of $100,000 on Fashion Models.com and turned it down over a decade ago, he has not had another offer. He can sleep peacefully at night with his net worth and portfolio and rejecting $100,000, many cannot do that.

Its equivalent to the married guy with 3 kids in an office dealing with a douchebag boss and a single guy with no responsibility but himself. The single guy can tell the boss to go F off, the married guy with kids has to put up with a lot more and make undesirable decisions based on other factors.

excellent post - repped.

•••

Points well taken but based on my past experiences, for my sins I am at the head of the cynics,you may have noticed. :P

•••
More than anything else it’s the number and quality of the offers that you have received for the domain in the past or that you are anticipating of receiving in the future based on your domain’s inherent qualities such as bradability or being a popular product name that determines whether you can play hard to get by turning down the lower offers.

Otherwise if you turn down a one off offer in the hopes of getting more in the future then you might have to wait for a very very long time before you see another offer and there is no guaranty that it’s going to be more than the first one.

IMO

•••
As for cameras, here's just one small phase of what 'is' coming with Wearable Technology, a projected $4.6 Billion dollar industry 'this' year -

Memoto is a clip-on camera barely larger than a pin on a jacket lapel and it takes photos automatically. Memoto snaps a picture every 30 seconds over the course of an entire day. The “lifelog” can then be connected to an app that organizes photos by GPS location and time of day,...
http://www.wearabletechworld.com/to...7180-wearable-technology-becoming-reality.htm

As for the future of Wearable Tech just in the US -

Wearable Tech Market May Grow to US $30-50 Billion Size by 2018: Credit Suisse Report

http://www.businessinsider.com/wearable-technology-market-2013-5

•••
Here's the new trend, generic domain name I'll likely be deleting one year from today:

dotCOM:

AdvancedGeneticTesting :O

•••
Theft of mobile phones is one of the biggest crimes worldwide.

Think how much easier it will be for tea leaves to nick the glasses+ extras off somebody's head!

Additional incidence of strangulations for those attaching straps to the glasses! Arghhhhhhhhh. D-:

Just being the devils advocate.

•••
you have to be in a strong enough position to be able to say no to all the xxxxx offers.

or

This is the typical domainer way of thinking:
If you have money, turn down all offers and wait for xxx.xxx or x.xxx.xxx or whatever. If you don't, take whatever you can and run Forest, run.

Those who sleep peacefully at night today, can be broke in 10 years and vice versa, those with difficult or 'normal' financial situation today can be future millionaires, dependending on own decisions and external circumstances and events which are out of your control. It happens faster than you can imagine, specially in todays world, both ways.

Seams like domaining is the only industry where the price of the traded assets depends on who owns them! Its actually total bullshit theory. Not even with the risky stock market is it like that.
But it somehow worked and will probably work for a while. Just for how long, i don't know.

So, if you want to make a good deal as a domain buyer you better look for good domains owned by 'poor' people would be the conclusion, unless you want to overpay?!

And once the millionaires leave the industry, then all xxx.xxx / x.xxx.xxx would dissapear, since the rest will sell as soon as they can get a x.xxx offer, no matter which domain lol, and suddenly the entire domain industry is an industry where you can make x.xxx max with a domain, prices will drop like crazy, etc...

Man, we need some guidelines, just like any other industry.

•••
I would have to disagree with the last premise, yes Rick Schwartz can turn down a $25,000 offer. I know many cannot and that's not about being a domainer, that's about real life. Yes there are people who have to take the money and run they cannot afford to be wrong, we can tell magical stories about what is and what should never be, but yes Rick Schwartz can be wrong, Frank Schilling can be wrong, the majority of members here who have not made $25,000 in total profit in their domaining lives cannot. Not if they have responsibilities, children, mortgages, other issues. No they cannot afford to take certain risks anyone telling them to do so imo is negligent.

Domaining is not the only industry either, I started trading stocks at 18 when I worked for a firm there were absolutely guys who could not afford to be wrong, and other guys shook out the weak hands

Definition of 'Weak Hands'
1. The intention of futures contract holders not to receive delivery of the underlying.

2. Retail traders in the forex market who abide by the conventional wisdom that when a pattern is broken, get out.
Investopedia Says
Investopedia explains 'Weak Hands'
1. Futures contract holders with weak hands are generally considered to be small speculators without the financial resources associated with the delivery and storage.

2. For example, retail traders with weak hands would place a stop at the bottom of a double bottom or at the top of a double top and once the pattern is broken, they would automatically be stopped out. Conversely, dealer and institutional traders will exploit this behavior by staying in once the pattern is broken, forcing the weak hands out before allowing the price to change direction and the pattern to correct itself.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/w/weakhands.asp

Your other point about get names from poor people absolutely ask the guy who sold Camroulette.com to Adam Strong, he did not see $151,000 and he was never seeing that amount for that domain,

We will never have guidelines because there is nothing tying people together except for the fact that they frequent the same forums and blogs. The jealousy and hatred in this business rivals Hollywood.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I have been working on that for awhile WOT only as an animation.

•••
It isn't the iWatch, but instead the ImWatch...

http://www.imsmart.com/en

The ImWatch's main function seems to be checking incoming communications to see if they are worth taking your phone out of your pocket.

•••
As the .coms had gone, I'd have thought that wearware & warewear (co.uk) would have been grabbed at the same time. Don't mind if I do.

If you say these names out loud, it just sounds weird, no-one will have a clue how to spell them so that become a problem when typing in the URL

WhereWare
WearWear
WearWare
WareWhere
WareWear

You see my point, try and find names that sound catchy and easy to spell as well

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back