NameSilo

Cloud Domains - How many thousands will drop in lesser extensions?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
As with all Super-Hot internet trends "Cloud" computing saw us go absolutely crazy over the past few years. And, as with each trend there are the inevitable "cooling off" periods.

However, I don't think I have seen so many domains registered in so many extensions as I have with "Cloud"; When I search for virtually any quality "Cloud" term it's almost always taken, even in .biz and .us (nothing against those 2 ext's), and even less typically monetarily significant ext's.

So, having only been back in the game for the past couple months I would like to hear from fellow NPer's. Over the next couple of years will we see a landslide of say .biz/us/co/me "Cloud" domains dropping or no, will you be picking them up if they do drop?

Love,
Marcia

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hmm

Just did a fresh scan for cloudN (N = random number) at domainloops, out of 60 (com/net/co/biz/us/me), there is 9 available.

To your question, I don't think there will be a lot of picking of the dropped cloud names... It's more likely that new technology will come along and everybody start reg those names.

•••
There are currently 1096 pre-release and pending delete domain names (com, net, org, biz, info) containing the word "cloud" , but I'm not sure if the drops are increasing or not.

•••
So, having only been back in the game for the past couple months I would like to hear from fellow NPer's. Over the next couple of years will we see a landslide of say .biz/us/co/me "Cloud" domains dropping or no, will you be picking them up if they do drop?

Don't forget that being a .com doesn't make a name immune from being a poor quality domain and the simple act of adding 'cloud' into a domain doesn't result in added value. The majority of the 'cloud' domains out there aren't worth holding. Actual keyword cloud domains have to be evaluated on a per domain basis in any extension. Brandable cloud domains in anything but .com should be dropped and not picked up by domainers.

As always if a name drops that I like, I will try to pick it up, but, the more accurate answer to your question, 'will you be picking them up if they do drop?' would be no.

Last edited:
•••
I totally agree, there will be thousands of cloud names dropping, mainly the .net, .org and .info's...and many others to a lesser extent (.me, .us, etc)

People really need to stick to .com and the stronger cctld's and then they might make some money. I mean you can buy 100 cloud names with mixed extensions and then when you make one nice sale of $2K or so, its all for nothing because the renewals of the other 99 names over 2 years have eaten all that profit away and in fact you have made nothing

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back