IT.COM

discuss What is the next Big Thing

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

FavourB

Established Member
Impact
My mind was roaming through some things pertaining to DOMAINING
And I started asking myself what is the next Big thing to come.

Back in the days no one new of blockchain
Or crypto but today we all know,
The early domain investors that are always on alert, got paid handsomely

What about the Libra era that is still in the air
Well all the 1st tier name pertaining to Libra has also gone to those that got early info.

We have seen so many era and probably most of us new starters missed out

Now am hoping on the future,
I really wish to hit the jackpot when the next big thing opens up like a flower

Jackpot like the owner of blockchain.com had before it blew.

So let's discuss what in your opinion from the way the world is changing is gonna be the next big thing.

For me i think 5G will be the next big thing
Whoever got 5G.com would be very lucky by then.

Lets hear your opinions:xf.grin: and make this fun

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Future trends are definitely one of the few reasons I handreg domains .. but they make up only a VERY tiny fraction of my portfoilio.

Indeed .. 5G will obviously be big .. but that in no way means 5G domains are good investments.

5G.com has huge value because it's a cc.com .. but I personally don't have any 5G domains .. nor do I intend to invest in them .. for the very simple reason that I don't think they are good investments as a domainer.

As for Libra .. it's very risky investing in trademark domains .. particularly in this case given the specific member companies who Libra will be. If you check out my list of domains at auction today (here or at NameCult), you'll see a few LibraCoin.__ domains on auction today ... they are actually 9 years old I think .. but I didn't even consider them.

Overall I definitely do keep a look out for futuretech/trends .. but I'm starting to have decent success as a domainer buying and selling domains that people/companies/startups/end-users want TODAY! ;)

•••
I am going to go with "DeFi" as the next big thing. It is crypto, blockchains, money, real estate, investing, finance, etc.etc...all morphed into one big thing.

•••
I think there is considerable domain speculation in the vast majority of future trends, so that in some ways the domain community have accounted for future trends just like conventional stock investment has factored into most stock prices projections for expected growth in areas.

I think in seeing future trends it is worthwhile to look both at how many domains are needed, and use DOFO to see how many are currently for sale (and registered). The ideal situation is to spot something you feel confident is a future trend, but not yet many registered. But that is very hard!

Bob

Last edited:
•••
I got the next big thing
and it sure is a biggie

:)

imo...

•••
The next big thing is AI and Blockchain combination, it will be smarter than the AI that based on search engine, 3D printing will get faster and faster, a lot of jobs about manufacturing will be replaced by machine so creation and designer will be more important, a lot of people will be working at home either small virtual office, people will have more time to travel around, so I guess .ai(artificial intelligence) and .travel and .xyz(personal design intimate) will be a big thing come up.
Finally, people will look like alien that have long finger and big head.

Last edited:
•••
The next big thing need not be a technology or an idea. In many ways, those are difficult to foresee. For example, who among us knew 10 years ago that Blockchain or Cryptocurrency would be such big things. What about the next country to develop e-Commerce where their ccTLD may become quite lucrative or at least increase in volume, and price, in secondary markets? Of course we can also debate nTLDs. Let's recall that .com TLD was not heavily traded for decades after it first came to be. Sometimes being first also means waiting the longest to cash in. Everything is a matter of weighing cost and opportunity.

In terms of where trends are going, I always look at automation. Legal tech is huge in my view because a lot of legal work is repetitive and can be automated. Additionally, many firms (especially in the investment industry) are looking to pare down costs in their compliance departments.

•••

I like this part! It is called transhumanism

"the belief or theory that the human race can evolve beyond its current physical and mental limitations, especially by means of science and technology."

Also I agree with @Internet.Domains Defi is going to be an absolute monster......

•••
The most interest thing is the movie theater will come out the round screen with dome not flat, you will feel like personally on the real scene, I think that's the goal the nuke studio is trying to achieve, the hardest point is the director and crew don't know where to stand can avoid being filmed, lol.

•••
•••
guess Smart Contracts (self executing contracts) will enter many aspects of life.

Also think DLT's (distributed ledger technologies) other than blockchain will come to play. Like DAG (Directed Acyclic Graph).

•••
Defying gravity tech (floating), eyewear (interactive), general repair and maintenance networking (monthly subscription based services)

•••
•••
The next big thing is AI and Blockchain combination, it will be smarter than the AI that based on search engine, 3D printing will get faster and faster, a lot of jobs about manufacturing will be replaced by machine so creation and designer will be more important, a lot of people will be working at home either small virtual office, people will have more time to travel around, so I guess .ai(artificial intelligence) and .travel and .xyz(personal design intimate) will be a big thing come up.

Hahahaha :xf.grin:
Yeah I think Ai, but I don't see it being as big as 5G
My own opinion

•••
cryptoassets - Central Banks are scrambling, so then it's definitely on for fin sys.

m2m communication - Smart Contracts - will mean a flight agencies system will contact my email regarding refund, not the other way around. <- this example is only a taste. going to be huge in finance!

fractional ownership - being able to assetize everything, and share it with everyone through tokenisation.

everything-as-a-service - microservices, because lots of things will become asset

nodes - I think they're underrated. nodes are going to run the show

Heaps of things going on. I think if you want what you want, gotta be looking like 5 - 10 years ahead.
Not the Singularity, ahead, but think about every transaction being on blockchain, that's in like 5-7. SME will use nodes. So what will corporate reporting be like? What will transparency of personal ID look like?

Serious stuff coming ahead though, real quick!

•••
Blockchain As A Service
AI-Led Automation
Quantum Computing AI Applications
Wireless Power
Mobile Payments
Commercial Shipping to space
Wearable devices
Ridiculously fast internet
Artificial Sun
People will be sending their own satellite.
Water Homes
Age of Nano Technology
Genetics

•••
Blockchain As A Service
AI-Led Automation
Quantum Computing AI Applications
Wireless Power
Mobile Payments
Commercial Shipping to space
Wearable devices
Ridiculously fast internet
Artificial Sun
People will be sending their own satellite.
Water Homes
Age of Nano Technology
Genetics

Personal satellites is a great one. Spaces/Elon Musk (ha) received FCCC approval to send 7300+ satellites into the atmosphere. Ole Musky's going to improve bandwidth so we can connect with AI.

It's not uncommon to now believe business needs will exceed that of natural human talent. So if you wish for employment, you'll need to still be competitive like everyone else, and that most likely means connecting (given the look of the innovation and funding space, your heads in the sand if you believe otherwise.)

•••
1st. Wearables
2nd. Implants
3rd. Self consciousness
In between those 3 "Big Data learning".

Just my humble opinion

•••
Harvesting data from consumer goods. Smart packaging, active packaging, intelligent packaging, etc.

•••
1st. Wearables
2nd. Implants
3rd. Self consciousness
In between those 3 "Big Data learning".

Just my humble opinion
Hope you're right on number 1. Thought it would of been by now.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
The next big thing is the same as the old big thing... a sale.

•••
Besides the difficulty in spotting which trend turns into something big, the name of the next big thing is probably already registered, so the best option lies in buying trend names in the aftermarket before the trend becomes clear to everyone

•••
the name of the next big thing is probably already registered

This is 100% true.
The article in this LINK was written Nov 2018 and includes every suggestion posted here and then some.
Some of you can get creative and grab tier 2,3 knock offs if you like.
Good luck

•••
Back