Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
shortness? They're meant to convey what a site is about. This one is perfect, it's targetted. As far as the .net, I'm sure whoever buys or will buy that domain is serious about selling NY apartments and not going to settle for second best. Probably thinking more than just the SEO advantage the domain provides but offline marketing as well. You can get the .net but you will lose traffic to the .com and NewYorkApartments.com is a developed site already. Even 1 lost customer is tens of thousands of dollars, the cost of this domain. You think long term, think smart and make the right investment. It's one of the most lucrative real estate markets out there, do it right. If there is a developed .com already, a competitor of yours, you really don't want get that same keyword and build on a .net.

Last edited:
•••
offline marketing?
Who will remember or Type in "newyorkapartmentsforsale.com ?
You can assume no Type in for such a name.
I wouldn't type in such a name. But i would do it for com, net for NewyorkApartments

I am not saying its a bad name. But the price is not justified.

•••
Same question I asked the poet:

"You don't think a domain is worth the equivalent of 1 sale?"

That's amazing to me. 1 sale. I'm sure whoever actually buys the name, knows more about the subject than anybody here, probably would be doing cartwheels, for getting such a deal. We'll see, I'm sure there will be a nice site up in the future.

Last edited:
•••
Same question I asked the poet:

"You don't think a domain is worth the equivalent of 1 sale?"

That's amazing to me. 1 sale. I'm sure whoever actually buys the name, knows more about the subject than anybody here, probably would be doing cartwheels, for getting such a deal. We'll see, I'm sure there will be a nice site up in the future.

Of course I don't mean it's worthless, but would have appraised it at high $x,xxx at best.

•••
Amazing, I wish I thought of it and could sell it before he did. Good keywords but I would have never registered it in the first place.

•••
NewYorkApartments.com developed? LOL

You have a lot to learn

He's just like YOU - full of domainer soundbite memes about POTENTIAL commissions earned, size of market blabla.

So what? BFD. Show me the money.

In reality?

Like most domainers, he's got jack sh1t for execution - all talk, "potential", a fancy site "pending development or partnerships" waiting for it to fall into his lap.

"Entrepreneurs make it happen, domainers wait 'til the entrepreneur makes it happen"

One lost sale of NewYorkApartmentsFor...zzz..?

How? The developed site would still need to buy PPC ads. It gets no type-ins.
In theory, exactly in the same boat as a reg fee $9 BobsNewYorkApartments.com
Do the math on the ROI% of commission from $Million apartment sale on a $9 domain vs a $42,000 domain.
LOL

PS no need for the try-hard domainer soundbites, size of market, potential, explaining traffic bleed, exact match etc.
We know all that. We have heard it all before.
Way before you jumped on the domaining bandwagon.
You are telling us nothing new.

Yes we know. Anyone who doesn't agree with your (typical domainer) view & doesn't drink the Kool-Aid "doesn't get it". LOL

People like you forget even with this domain it STILL needs a ton of marketing to obtain visibility, such as Google Ads.
It doesn't get natural type-ins.
99.9% of Joe Public enters the URL of a site they've not been to before thru a search engine. That or they click via links.

So NewYorkApartmentsFor..zzz... STILL needs marketing in form of PPC ads and/or offline marketing

To whit, Hotels.com
Great domain name, gets tons of type-ins for certain.

YET Hotels.com STILL does as much offline marketing & PPC ads, as a made up name like Expedia.com

How much marketing? Hundreds of millions. Every year since the year dot.
Check their financials.

Why additional marketing?

EVEN if they relied on type-ins as its SOLE marketing as if that was all you needed (as deluded domainers would have you believe) they would've lost a ton of market share to branded names ie Expedia, TravelZoo, Priceline etc, who market the hell out of the name via PPC ads, offline marketing etc
No way they could've been leaders without massive marketing.
The competition would've eaten their lunch.
And certainly they wouldn't be worth $BILLIONS today.
If it was owned by a domainer, today Hotels.com would be a glorified parking site "pending sale or development, partnership"

So what does that tell you?

Type-ins are good but they are a tiny tiny component of the overall marketing plan.
Any co that wants to be among the leaders MUST do offline marketing, PPC ads etc...the works

Type-ins are not enough for any ecommerce business wanting to be massive, quickly
It still needs to spend a ton on marketing

shortness? They're meant to convey what a site is about. This one is perfect, it's targetted. As far as the .net, I'm sure whoever buys or will buy that domain is serious about selling NY apartments and not going to settle for second best. Probably thinking more than just the SEO advantage the domain provides but offline marketing as well. You can get the .net but you will lose traffic to the .com and NewYorkApartments.com is a developed site already. Even 1 lost customer is tens of thousands of dollars, the cost of this domain. You think long term, think smart and make the right investment. It's one of the most lucrative real estate markets out there, do it right. If there is a developed .com already, a competitor of yours, you really don't want get that same keyword and build on a .net.

•••
NewYorkApartments.com developed? LOL

You have a lot to learn

He's just like YOU - full of domainer soundbite memes about POTENTIAL commissions earned, size of market blabla.

So what? BFD. Show me the money.

In reality?

Like most domainers, he's got jack sh1t for execution - all talk, "potential", a fancy site "pending development or partnerships" waiting for it to fall into his lap.

"Entrepreneurs make it happen, domainers wait 'til the entrepreneur makes it happen"

One lost sale of NewYorkApartmentsFor...zzz..?

How? The developed site would still need to buy PPC ads. It gets no type-ins.
In theory, exactly in the same boat as a reg fee $9 BobsNewYorkApartments.com
Do the math on the ROI% of commission from $Million apartment sale on a $9 domain vs a $42,000 domain.
LOL

PS no need for the try-hard domainer soundbites, size of market, potential, explaining traffic bleed, exact match etc.
We know all that. We have heard it all before.
Way before you jumped on the domaining bandwagon.
You are telling us nothing new.

Yes we know. Anyone who doesn't agree with your (typical domainer) view & doesn't drink the Kool-Aid "doesn't get it". LOL

People like you forget even with this domain it STILL needs a ton of marketing to obtain visibility, such as Google Ads.
It doesn't get natural type-ins.
99.9% of Joe Public enters the URL of a site they've not been to before thru a search engine. That or they click via links.

So NewYorkApartmentsFor..zzz... STILL needs marketing in form of PPC ads and/or offline marketing

To whit, Hotels.com
Great domain name, gets tons of type-ins for certain.

YET Hotels.com STILL does as much offline marketing & PPC ads, as a made up name like Expedia.com

How much marketing? Hundreds of millions. Every year since the year dot.
Check their financials.

Why additional marketing?

EVEN if they relied on type-ins as its SOLE marketing as if that was all you needed (as deluded domainers would have you believe) they would've lost a ton of market share to branded names ie Expedia, TravelZoo, Priceline etc, who market the hell out of the name via PPC ads, offline marketing etc
No way they could've been leaders without massive marketing.
The competition would've eaten their lunch.
And certainly they wouldn't be worth $BILLIONS today.
If it was owned by a domainer, today Hotels.com would be a glorified parking site "pending sale or development, partnership"

So what does that tell you?

Type-ins are good but they are a tiny tiny component of the overall marketing plan.
Any co that wants to be among the leaders MUST do offline marketing, PPC ads etc...the works

Type-ins are not enough for any ecommerce business wanting to be massive, quickly
It still needs to spend a ton on marketing

Can you redo that rambling into a few coherent points? Then I'll come back and address them.

•••
Busted sale

Sorry - this ain't a completed sale

Funny how DNJournal STILL lists "sales" that either failed or were not completed

Sedo is probably still sending automated email chasers to the "buyer" who has long disappeared along with his fake details.

Sorry Berkens - no $42,500 for you!

PS
1/ All the nutsac riders with "similar" domains who jacked up their prices & marked up their fantasy net worth based on this sale...the "sale" that wasn't...can just as quickly mark down their fantasy net worth

2/ Kudos to the defaulting "buyer". Bravo!
Why would any buyer pay $42,000 & stupidly restrict himself to the "for sale" market only (as per the domain keywords) - excluding the lucrative "for rentals" market (which is a steady income stream)

•••
Ok.

"Why would any buyer pay $42,000 & stupidly restrict himself to the "for sale" market only (as per the domain keywords) - excluding the lucrative "for rentals" market (which is a steady income stream)"

Targetting. Long tail. It gets 3,600 Exact Match a month. Again, 1 sale, would pay for that domain.

I guess the "typical domainer" stuff you were talking about was in my direction? If so, I hate to break it to you but......... my background is marketing, in school, then in life, then in developing websites (my own) the last 10 years for a living via affiliate marketing, then catching the bug for domaining a couple of years ago, so I do both now for a living.

Last edited:
•••
@ JB Lions

Cache specifically asked "Would *YOU* buy it for $4000 (a fraction of the supposed sale price) if this was for sale on Namepros"

Put your money where YOUR mouth is big man

Go off & make $4000 offers to the owner of:
- ChicagoApartmentsForSale.com
- LondonApartmentsForSale.com
- FloridaApartmentsForSale.com
- VancouverApartmentsForSale.com

Since apartments there can fetch in the millions, I'm sure YOU can easily make that...just...from one sale.

Go ahead, "affilaite marketer"

PS
Someone with these kinds of crappy names is UNLIKELY IMO to spend even $1000 for a domain - let alone $4000:

- filminterpretation
- higherearnings
- modernnudes
- mortgagebrowser
- ultimateracefan

Looking at the above, any "credibility" of being knowledgeable is shot to pieces.

Don't end up like this guy, Bhanot, who once bragged about having the "World's best Spanish dot mobi domains". LOL

Check this out:
http://www.DNF/f283/offers-invited-worlds-best-spanish-mobi-portfolio-thread-202980.html

Where are these .MOBI domains today...

LOL

•••
@ JB Lions

Cache specifically asked "Would *YOU* buy it for $4000 (a fraction of the supposed sale price) if this was for sale on Namepros"

Put your money where YOUR mouth is big man

Go off & make $4000 offers to the owner of:
- ChicagoApartmentsForSale.com
- LondonApartmentsForSale.com
- FloridaApartmentsForSale.com
- VancouverApartmentsForSale.com

Since apartments there can fetch in the millions, I'm sure YOU can easily make that...just...from one sale.

Go ahead, "affilaite marketer"

PS
Someone with these kinds of crappy names is UNLIKELY IMO to spend even $1000 for a domain - let alone $4000:

- filminterpretation
- higherearnings
- modernnudes
- mortgagebrowser
- ultimateracefan

Looking at the above, any "credibility" of being knowledgeable is shot to pieces.

Don't end up like this guy, Bhanot, who once bragged about having the "World's best Spanish dot mobi domains". LOL

Check this out:
http://www.DNF/f283/offers-invited-worlds-best-spanish-mobi-portfolio-thread-202980.html

Where are these .MOBI domains today...

LOL

Yes, I would buy NewYorkApartmentsForSale for $4,000, not $42,000 because I'm not an enduser, I don't sell apartments in New York for a living.

"- filminterpretation
- higherearnings
- modernnudes
- mortgagebrowser
- ultimateracefan

Looking at the above, any "credibility" of being knowledgeable is shot to pieces."

? Tells me you lack in the research department and you don't have much of a clue of what a brandable is. Those are hand regs, that I will make money on, I do great with those types of domains. And I've spent what you posted above. Try utilizing this site's search function a little better.

Last edited:
•••
Was not a busted sale, I asked Berkens directly on Twitter, he said he was paid a long time ago, has no idea what is going on with the domain.

•••
Was not a busted sale, I asked Berkens directly on Twitter, he said he was paid a long time ago, has no idea what is going on with the domain.

Why should I believe you Equity78 when I have the word of Aggro who clearly knows that this isn't true. All the evidence he presents undeniably points to the fact that this sale couldn't possibly have happened. Right?

It's clear that he has never registered anything that would shoot his credibility to pieces .. not like me, you or JB.

And besides.. his sig says it... he's telling the truth, even if it hurts.

I hate being nutsack though.

•••
higherearnings
modernnudes
mortgagebrowser
ultimateracefan

These are nice and brandable, worth owning. To me, brandable domains are a good LONG term investment. Not for everyone, of course.

I like ModernNudes.com I am into photography, though :)

•••
While NewYorkApartment sounds more manageable, brandable and easier to type than NewYorkApartmentsForSale.com is actually natural speaking. While people remember catchy stuff they also remember things that are natural.

Natural Speaking:
Person 1: I heard you gonna move to New York.
Person 2: Yes, I need to look for a list of New York Apartments For Sale, see if I can buy one or a house. I hate to rent. Is a good investment too.
Person 1: I know. I am Glad.

Now if we only do web speak.
Person 1: moving to new york
Person 2: new york apartments available
Person 1: Bing and decided?

•••
With this logic, you could also register "iamlookingforanapartmentinnewyork" , this is also naturally speaking and people remember it.
I don't think this logic works with domain name sales

•••
some days after i readed this thread i tried to remember domain:

ApartmentsForSaleInNewYork.com ?
ForSaleApartmentsInNewYork.com ?

Is it just me ? (maybe...cause i'm not native speaking)

•••
With this logic, you could also register "iamlookingforanapartmentinnewyork" , this is also naturally speaking and people remember it.
I don't think this logic works with domain name sales

For domain name sales any logic works. Now the thing is While people search exact terms they don't search for full sentences.

I will use another word to display it, Plumber.
plumber bronx ny <- searchable
plumber in bronx ny <- searchable
24 hour plumber bronx ny <- searchable
I need a plumber that works 24 hours located in brox ny <- ???
number for plumber in brox ny<- searchable

In the past everything begin with the keyword, the right on the money keyword in this case plumber. The web is shifting with thousands of new websites, domains, etc. That's why we have nowadays responsive design (going of topic here).

While NewYorkApartments.com is attractive, webable if I need to use a word to describe it. NewYorkApartmentsForSale.com is webable also. NewYorkApartments.com could be a listing of apartments for rent in NY, it might have some sales. But I know for sure NewYorkApartmentsForSale.com is for sale, could have for rent, but I know they have for sale.

Is not only domain thinking, you have to think on your customer. Who will the domain appeal to. You could sell a few howto<keyword>.com,.net before LLLLL.com domain. Unless you have loads of cash that can hold domains until you sell them. You need to be moving your inventory.

Hope I make sense %%-

Last edited:
•••
But I know for sure NewYorkApartmentsForSale.com is for sale, could have for rent, but I know they have for sale.

You don't know anything from the name.

My internet experience would tend to suggest this would be a parked page with endless useless ads on it.

•••
You don't know anything from the name.

My internet experience would tend to suggest this would be a parked page with endless useless ads on it.

But that is the problem. You are thinking as an experince domain owner. A Real Estate Agent doesn't know what parked domain is, or a develop site. That's why this guy sold the domain for $42k.

I won't pay for $42k for it, you won't. But a real estate agent would.

Have you heard the term FSBO? ForSaleByOwner? Every business has it's lingo, and many domains have the potential to score big. Just need to find the guy with deep pockets that is interested on your domain.

You need to know when something could be potently huge or potentially small. Now let's say Jimmy calls you and tells you he wants to buy Cableit.com from you. You say $75k. Jimmy says no thx and goes gets iwillcableit.com. He is happy with his website and you still have cableit.com. Now, lets say Comcast comes up with a new program where you can install many boxes for free in your house and calls it Cable it. They call you and offer you $50k for the domain, you say no I want $75k. What could happen?
A) They say yes.
B) No, put their lawyers to work, their marketing department and come up with something
C) They ask Timmy if he will sell CableYourOwnBox.com for $25k. Timmy accepts. Comcast place that URL every where, any where and make the sales. You still have cableit.com.
D) You say yes, sell for $50k and gets you media eyes and cash.

Cableit.com is more brandable, more webable but Comcast made CableYourOwnBox.com more valuable than cableit.com see where I am going with this?

Last edited:
•••
But that is the problem. You are thinking as an experince domain owner.

I'm speaking as an experienced internet USER.

I assume nothing about the relevance of a domain name to site content except that most keyword rich site names are parked or crappy domainer sites.

•••
I'm speaking as an experienced internet USER.

I assume nothing about the relevance of a domain name to site content except that most keyword rich site names are parked or crappy domainer sites.

But the mass of internet users are not experience. People assume many many things because their concept of internet is quick and easy. There was an article about how people are not thinking instead they are searching. Because the information is very accessible, their rather do a search and quick read, than actually remembering. My recommendation is to get a copy of "Don't make me think" by Steve Krug. You would be surprise how people behave on the web, even we have technologies that makes it easier for them.

Actually look at this: Other post in NP

What do you see? I see an experience user assuming, based on his search.

Last edited:
•••
It is still in escrow after almost 4 months.

•••
It is still in escrow after almost 4 months.

I sold a domain on SEDO for almost $20K over 2 months ago, and it is still in Escrow as well.

I am not sure what the deal is as I was paid for it a long time ago.

Brad

•••
I sold a domain on SEDO for almost $20K over 2 months ago, and it is still in Escrow as well.

I am not sure what the deal is as I was paid for it a long time ago.

Brad

Congrats on a nice sale. :kickass:
Did you find them or did they find you?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back