Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I sold a domain on SEDO for almost $20K over 2 months ago, and it is still in Escrow as well.

I am not sure what the deal is as I was paid for it a long time ago.

Brad

Could be a resale. Don't want to initiate a transfer until that negotiation is complete to prevent a registrar lock and they don't want to manage an account at another registrar.

Could also be that they don't want the whois to change until they have a site ready. No point tipping anyone off.

It's not going anywhere (except they don't own it yet)

•••
Congrats on a nice sale. :kickass:
Did you find them or did they find you?

They found me on that one.

The domain was worth the price really.
It was not really a fluke sale.

Brad

•••
Well, here is something new.
The domain is still in Sedo's escrow, no suprise there.
But when you now go to the site it redirects you to a real estate management company in Sana Ana Calif.
So a domain name about New York Apartments For Sale that sold for $42,000 is redirecting you to a real estate site in California.
This gets more strange every time I look into it.
:lol:

•••
Seems from the domain purchase rate and the name of the domain that the buyer has the strong intention to make big amount of money out of it for his business! thanks!

•••
What a bunch of BS, now it's listed for sale again.

•••
Wholesale Market?

Buying domain names for me isn't about throwing money at every domain that could be a success. It has to either be a low investment in the name or a name that can be developed by myself if I can't find a buyer. $4200 on a domain name is a major purchase for me.....

%%-

Ah, so now I am starting to get what goes on around here, this is pretty much a wholesale marketplace, eh?

I guess what I was hoping to find was something in between wholesale, It probably would hurt me a lot to part with a domain for 1/10 of what it is really worth. While of course hindsight is 20-20 I would say a domain like that (because of its length) would probably have lingered around here for some time before finding a buyer for even a $1500, :bingo:seriously thats why I think.

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

Well, I just found this cool link for a "generic domain appraisal bot" and guess what it said:

http://www.genericdomainfinder.com/domainvalue/NewYorkApartmentsForSale.com

When I said I did not think the domain would have got $1,500 over here, I really was "being generous" the folks here generally seem to be on the pessimistic side, I think it would have been amazing if someone bought after a "tooth and nail" negotiation, for $1000. :sold:

That is what the generic domain finder .com had to say!

Seriously if I thought I could get 30% of the value of some of my domains from this place, I would do it, in a minute (well maybe a few hours) and then move on to some of the other things that definitely require my attention!

I was not going to say this yet its got an obvious (and even more universal comparison value) what you think the domain, (mine obviously) could get from an end user, who had a plan to develop it: CompleteWeddingPackage.com :gn:

:wave:

Here is your comparative:

SavingsAccountRate.com Three generic words, 19 letters a dot com sold with the last 24 months:

SavingsAccountRates com $12,912 Jun 10 Sedo

That domain should now be more valuable, except (possibly for the fact that the interest you get on savings accounts is practically nothing!).... :o :|

I saw a domain on auction at SEDO at $5000 and it was something along the lines of wedding limo for hire.com...

I would say a sale like NewYorkApartmentsForSale.com if nothing else definitely raises the bar on keyword generic domains with definite commercial usage.

Its a good thing for us all!

Last edited:
•••
%%-

Ah, so now I am starting to get what goes on around here, this is pretty much a wholesale marketplace, eh?

Don't expect to get great prices for names you are willing to sell on any domain forum.

As for the quote from me that you included in your post, that has nothing to do with namepros.

If I'm looking to flip a domain, I'm not going to pay a premium (what a 'premium' is varies with the quality of the domain). If I have an interest in developing a domain, I am willing to pay more. The majority of my names aren't bought on namepros or any other domain forum.

I would say a domain like that (because of its length) would probably have lingered around here for some time before finding a buyer for even a $1500

I'd be surprised if this domain reached that price at Namejet. I wouldn't be going after it.

Last edited:
•••
The bottom line is, with names like "newyorkapartmentsforsale.com" it's not just a "list the name and wait" senario. Names with sales like this require work and the work is conducted by a true salesman.

Did you ever hear the saying, "he can sell ice to an eskimo". Well here is a perfect example.

Last edited:
•••
BORING...zzz

It's called survivorship bias, johnny-cum-lately.
Outliers. The exceptions.

I can show you 100 MILLION domains that haven't sold. And never will
No one ever talks about those, eh
Get it?

Names like SavingsAccountRates.com that sold for $12,000 are very expensive mini-sites & will always be til the owner drops dead.
In a few months time, when reality hits, he will regret the purchase. Guaranteed

PlaceBets.com sold for $65,000 (really? LOL) during the go-go years, during "auction fever".
I "offered" him $5000.
He wanted to accept, wanted to bite my hand off, the "default loser"..LOL

I have compiled a list of TONS of such names that sold for high prices.
Never will amount to much, never will earn even 1% ROI pa, never will resell for anywhere close to the price paid.
Sitting there in the domain graveyard.

If you feel so lucky, go play the lottery.

It would surely be more lucrative than turning a hobby (domaining) into a full-time 9-6 job like many here.

%%-

I guess what I was hoping to find was something in between wholesale, It probably would hurt me a lot to part with a domain for 1/10 of what it is really worth. While of course hindsight is 20-20 I would say a domain like that (because of its length) would probably have lingered around here for some time before finding a buyer for even a $1500, :bingo:seriously thats why I think.

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

Well, I just found this cool link for a "generic domain appraisal bot" and guess what it said:

http://www.genericdomainfinder.com/domainvalue/NewYorkApartmentsForSale.com

When I said I did not think the domain would have got $1,500 over here, I really was "being generous" the folks here generally seem to be on the pessimistic side, I think it would have been amazing if someone bought after a "tooth and nail" negotiation, for $1000. :sold:

That is what the generic domain finder .com had to say!

Seriously if I thought I could get 30% of the value of some of my domains from this place, I would do it, in a minute (well maybe a few hours) and then move on to some of the other things that definitely require my attention!

I was not going to say this yet its got an obvious (and even more universal comparison value) what you think the domain, (mine obviously) could get from an end user, who had a plan to develop it: CompleteWeddingPackage.com :gn:

:wave:

Here is your comparative:

SavingsAccountRate.com Three generic words, 19 letters a dot com sold with the last 24 months:

SavingsAccountRates com $12,912 Jun 10 Sedo

That domain should now be more valuable, except (possibly for the fact that the interest you get on savings accounts is practically nothing!).... :o :|

I saw a domain on auction at SEDO at $5000 and it was something along the lines of wedding limo for hire.com...

I would say a sale like NewYorkApartmentsForSale.com if nothing else definitely raises the bar on keyword generic domains with definite commercial usage.

Its a good thing for us all!

•••
Very Honest...

Amazing, I wish I thought of it and could sell it before he did. Good keywords but I would have never registered it in the first place.

Its a real thought....(above),... to have been the one who had thought of it,... however it "seems to be going against so many of the principles that we have come to understand what makes a domain have a higher value.

Common wisdom would be, run over to your nearest registrar, and hurry and buy some five word domains, right? Yet I do not think that would be an effective "money making" strategy! %%-

This one was the rare exception. I do have a strong belief in the value of commercial useful three word generic, dictionary word, or keyword domains, and even four when one word is a simple word like a, for example.

The reason, 3 or four well chosen words could well define a particular niche. :bingo:

•••
Last edited:
•••
_\|/_

Landing page has sales link back to Berkens

Someone should report false WHOIS for the domain

Sedo Escrow certainly isn't the registrant (not for 5 mths)

After 5 mths the domain should either be sold (reflecting new holder's WHOIS) or not.

•••
After 6 months its still says Sedo Escrow in the whois but its now listed for sale at Most Wanted Domains.

Go figure :-/

•••
Have not followed this thread closely.
so, was the sale legit?

•••
Being new, I assume Michael Berkens is a famous reseller of domains.

•••
Have not followed this thread closely.
so, was the sale legit?

I dont think so since its still listed on mostwanteddomains.com, Berkens domain repository...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back