Domain Empire

discuss Newbie ready to invest

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ponyyy

Established Member
Impact
Hello Members

I have been visiting namepros since few months. Found this forum an awesome source of knowledge in this field. Thanks to all who care to share all the data and knowledge! Today decided to create an account as I think I'm ready to invest now. I'm keeping aside around $30k from my savings to start with.

Personally, I prefer quality over quantity. So I planned to focus on 3Ls & 4Ls only. Obviously 2Ls are out of my leauge. As starting capital is only $30k, so I feel 4Ls would be best to focus on. I will not take any profit out, would invest all future sales amount in 3Ls.

When I talk about 4Ls, I meant only high end names like CVCV or CVVC, quad or some highly pronounceable names. In money terms, I would cap these from $500 to $2500. I would go slow.

open to any other advice which I should focus on.

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
IMO, if you are looking to invest 30K, there are probably safer options with better returns on the stock market at the moment.

Last edited:
•••
Welcome to NP forum @Ponyyy,

Invest carefully and in premium names only.
Also, please keep at least $2000 aside for the maintenance like annual renew of those domains with an assumption to keep them for the next 5-10 years for a best possible return.

All the best!

Last edited:
•••
@Ponyyy, welcome aboard!
My two cents: Don't start with 30k, take 10k and set the rest aside. Maybe 2-3k of this should be used to cover your renewal costs for the first two years. Think about what kind of domainer you want to be. Personally, I'd rather have a few more but lower sales at the beginning. This way you don't get frustrated from the getgo and quit. And you will have a more steady cashflow which allows for regular reinvestments. So, my recommendation would be to invest in good quality but not super premium domains that generate some regular sales. Don't hesitate to consult NamePros. Good luck!

•••
With $30,000 you buy a name and start a business. No guarantee a name will appreciate in value or you'll find a buyer that is willing to pay more. So, you may be stuck with inventory that is priced high but no willing buyers. Many great names out there that remain unsold. I would go with generic word .com and only buy a 3L or 4L .com if the cvcv/cvvc combo is insanely good.

If volume business, just buy names you can easily unload for a few dollars above cost basis and scale. Watch out for renewals, though.

Last edited:
•••
•••
hi, welcome it's really fun here, and most people are really kind. I wish you a nice time and a lot of money to come in your way very soon

I have a few questions and hope if you can answer them:
did you consider investing 30k somewhere else before deciding to become a domainer??
how much money are you looking to make?. and in what amount of time are you expecting to make this money?

•••
At 30k just be the end user make offers on 100k names.

•••

You need to watch this video first, then go to NameJet, DropCatch, Sedo, Dynadot auctions, and NameLiquidate to acquire great domains at low prices.

Last edited:
•••
Wish you all the best:xf.smile::xf.grin::xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
I think you should feel the sand first. Grab the experience to sharpen your domain sense. If you jump directly to 3Ls or 4Ls, you would miss the learning. Try registering or buying the lower price names, then take a step to a higher price.

•••
Starting with ONLY 30K? Lol.
Buy some nice liquidating domains, plenty of them this year.

•••
Why not start off you some 4L, then learn to polish some selling skills. imho that is what i am doing now. hope that this helps :xf.smile:(y)

•••
Make sure that you think about where to invest first before you actually make the move. You need to make smart decisions because if you invest willy-nilly, you will have a lot of problems especially with your return on investments having minimal value.

•••
Not investment advice, just hypothetical suggestion.

Diversify 30k in domains:

Dot coms

Buy one truly pronounceable 4L. Talk, Walk, Boom, Yell, Town, those are pronounceable and pass the radio test. Expect to pay 5k (not for Talk, walk etc but names that are really pronounceable, even if they mean nothing). Expect to wait 20 years and to sell for 50k+

Buy 5 4L's that are semi pronounceable but do not pass the radio test. Expect to pay 750 each. Expect to wait 10 years and sell for 12.5k each

So far if you think the above prices are high, I suggest you not invest in domains at all.

Buy 7 EMD's (two words max) for industries that have a at least 30,000 businesses in them and over 30k EXACT mo. searches. Each EMD will be about 3k. You must create a blog for each and publish some monthly content on there and do a directory with a link exchange, only those that link get listed. Everyone will tell you this is advice from 30 years ago, however, for true EMD's this is still relevant. Expect to wait 20 years and sell each for 40k+

Investments in anything has risks, there are ways to lower the risks. All the expected wait times I suggested does not mean it will happen, it just means it's likely some will happen.

Finding names to invest in is a slow process. If you rush it expect to lose all your money, you will probably buy bad.

The main reason people don't make money in any business is patience, domaining is no different.

It takes money to make money. There are successful handreg stories, but for every person (I am not talking years ago) that made a profit off handregs, hundreds others destroyed their credit cards and capital.

The chances of people making it in anything they do is low, most people will lose money in anything they invest in. There are many reasons, but the number one reason is that they reach out to those that have spent decades in a business and know what works, they get advice, and they think, well, I think I know better. Yes, sometimes people do their own thing and succeed, its a rare event, start by doing what does work.

Unless you have a passion for this business avoid it. Domaining should be something you do for the love of it more so than for the money, you are more likely to succeed. This is true in other businesses as well. If you have no other investments and no financial cousin if everything goes wrong with domaining, don't invest in domains. Domaining is best if you have other means of supporting yourself. If I didn't have a passion for domaining and my wait time is 20 years id probably invest in some index fund and forget about it.

Good luck, you'll need it.

Last edited:
•••
Welcome to the world of domains, any questions welcome to exchange,IM willing to communicate with domainers

However what I need to remind you is investment needs to be careful, any investment is risky,

come on,best wishes:xf.smile:

•••
To big a risk with LLL.com names when you dont understand the letters, domain value, end-users, selling, outbound etc yet.

Start with 1k, buy a couple of names (not hand regged names), maybe a couple of decent LLLL.com names, then try sell them, if you do, then reinvest the cash into more names. 30k is a silly amount to invest when starting out, get the hang of it first, prove you can sell names, get some experience first.

Good luck
Nice reply.

•••
3L and 4L never really moved me. They are hard to brand so you would be involved in a crap shoot when dealing with these.

Search engines are about words, commonality and human behavior. lol.com is a great 3L domain but someone already owns it (and it's stupid as hell) they literally are crapping on an amazing domain name that could make them millions.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back