IT.COM

advice Newbie here!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LittlestIndie

Established Member
Impact
Hi, total newbie here :)

Just recently learned about domaining so I decided to take action and start domaining. I registered a domain yesterday on godaddy and listed it as "make an offer" because I've read on a blog that it's a common thing to start as "make an offer" and then switch it to an auction once you get your first offer.

I would like to get advice on what's the best ways to drive traffic to my offer? I was thinking on using facebook groups related to the domain's niche to try and promote it, what do you guys think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Welcome to NamePros.

You have come to the right place. Learn Learn Learn if you want to Earn from domaining.

Best of Luck :)

•••
Yeah so far I sent 3 emails to dating blogs letting them know that tipstodate com was available. No responses yet. I'll try to contact more people.

I'm really interested in the website thing you mentioned. Is that what's called parking? I haven't gotten to that topic yet on the forums.

I have an e-commerce store that I launched yesterday but I'm not sure I could link the domain since the store is not related to dating. Though I do have the resources to make a basic website stating that it's for sale (I'm a programmer :) ) the problem would be adding content since I'm not knowledgeable in that niche.

You sold 6?!? Wow even at low end prices if I could sell the 2 domains I have right now I'd be so happy :) !! I thought I would have to wait at least a year before I saw a penny. You just gave me hope, thanks!!

Thanks for your response! I only seem to have success when I super discount domains that are about to expire, but yes, it is encouraging to even get a few dollars. I was surprised which ones sold.

Re website, I have many of mine registered at Namecheap, and I use their Marketplace. It is only available for ones registered with them, but for those it is easy (can list in a minute or two) and you only pay the 10% commission if someone buys (there is a range of $5 to $1000 so not good for high value domain names). They handle all the payment and transfer, so there is no need of paying for escrow. I think it mainly works for bargain type domains, and you need to have patience. Their Marketplace search engine is slow, which turns people off I am sure. I do find you need patience... all the ones I sold there I posted multiple times, and eventually someone bought them.

As someone else posted, the important thing (for most of us who dabble in it as a hobby) is to have fun, rather than have expectations of making much money.

I agree you should not point to a website that has nothing to do with the domain name. I had meant if you have enough that is worth your while to establish your own website for domain names. I waited until I had about 40 and then set up my mown domain name website. One route might be to use a free website service like Wix to get started (the free account version).

Most sites will park your domain name when it is listed for sale, with varying arrangements re who gets the revenue when people end up there and click on one of the links. Others can provide more on it than me, as I always turn off parking and make them point to my own website now that I have one.

Welcome to domaining, and I hope you have fun and get that first sale. Domaining is creative as you find names others have missed, and it is nice to interact with people with similar interests.

Bob

•••
Thanks for your response! I only seem to have success when I super discount domains that are about to expire, but yes, it is encouraging to even get a few dollars. I was surprised which ones sold.

Re website, I have many of mine registered at Namecheap, and I use their Marketplace. It is only available for ones registered with them, but for those it is easy (can list in a minute or two) and you only pay the 10% commission if someone buys (there is a range of $5 to $1000 so not good for high value domain names). They handle all the payment and transfer, so there is no need of paying for escrow. I think it mainly works for bargain type domains, and you need to have patience. Their Marketplace search engine is slow, which turns people off I am sure. I do find you need patience... all the ones I sold there I posted multiple times, and eventually someone bought them.

As someone else posted, the important thing (for most of us who dabble in it as a hobby) is to have fun, rather than have expectations of making much money.

I agree you should not point to a website that has nothing to do with the domain name. I had meant if you have enough that is worth your while to establish your own website for domain names. I waited until I had about 40 and then set up my mown domain name website. One route might be to use a free website service like Wix to get started (the free account version).

Most sites will park your domain name when it is listed for sale, with varying arrangements re who gets the revenue when people end up there and click on one of the links. Others can provide more on it than me, as I always turn off parking and make them point to my own website now that I have one.

Welcome to domaining, and I hope you have fun and get that first sale. Domaining is creative as you find names others have missed, and it is nice to interact with people with similar interests.

Bob

Yeah I understand that for now the most important thing is to learn, not make hundreds which is why I'm having so much fun even though I haven't sold anything yet. Now whenever I pass by storefronts I keep wondering if there's an available domain for that name, it's addicting lol :p

Oh I see what you mean now, I could create my own little domain store like BrandBucket but more on the lower end price, hmm I really like that I'll get started now on designing the site since it's free.

Danm now I understand why they said that NamePros was a gold mine of information, thanks y'all I really appreciate it!!! :)

•••
@biggie is absolutely correct dont waste your money on services that require payment. Always try to find a free service first. save your money and use it for more names. use free tools when possible.

Your platform is actually cool.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back