Dynadot

advice Newbie here!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LittlestIndie

Established Member
Impact
Hi, total newbie here :)

Just recently learned about domaining so I decided to take action and start domaining. I registered a domain yesterday on godaddy and listed it as "make an offer" because I've read on a blog that it's a common thing to start as "make an offer" and then switch it to an auction once you get your first offer.

I would like to get advice on what's the best ways to drive traffic to my offer? I was thinking on using facebook groups related to the domain's niche to try and promote it, what do you guys think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1. spend about 100 hours reading this forum
dont buy any more names
2. list the names you bought online create some logos for them search some comparable sales....send out emails to companies who maybe interested....list on all marketplaces godaddy, afternic, flippa....
dont buy any more names
3. read another 100 hours of forum material
4. check namebio
dont buy anymore names
5 read another 100 hours
6. buy some names

a good domain store helps...

•••
1. spend about 100 hours reading this forum
dont buy any more names
2. list the names you bought online create some logos for them search some comparable sales....send out emails to companies who maybe interested....list on all marketplaces godaddy, afternic, flippa....
dont buy any more names
3. read another 100 hours of forum material
4. check namebio
dont buy anymore names
5 read another 100 hours
6. buy some names

a good domain store helps...

"Don't buy any more domains" The temptation is so hard though I registered seocrystal . com yesterday even though I told myself I should wait. But I promised myself that I will not buy anymore until I can start eyeballing the value of domains. I'll be spending the next few weeks reading and reading and reading :)

•••
•••
Hey @LittlestIndie

Welcome to NP, hope you njoy ur stay and all the best with ur domaining adventures.

•••
rule #86 the next name you buy should be better than your best name.

•••
Hi newbie

beware:

there are some who will try to sell you services you don't really need

but, if they can make you "think you need it", then you will probably buy it

hold your money tightly, cuz..... domainers are the new end-users.

imo....

•••
Hi newbie

beware:

imo....
@biggie is absolutely correct dont waste your money on services that require payment. Always try to find a free service first. save your money and use it for more names. use free tools when possible.

•••
rule #86 the next name you buy should be better than your best name.

Yeah I think I saw that somewhere yesterday on the beginners forums, I love it, I saved it to prevent my future self from dumb purchases.

•••
Hi newbie

beware:

imo....

Yea I was so surprised to see that the domain appraisals were 99$ on Sedo, I'm glad I didn't make the mistake of buying that since I'm just starting.

•••
•••
Welcome to the forum!

A couple quick recommendations...

1) Look up the domain appraisal scam... (This gets many newbies right off the bat...)

2) Read, read, read, and learn the value of kw's (keywords)... e.g. Learn which kw's actually have value vs. those you... in your newbie wisdom... THINK will sell! ;) (Hint: "crystal" ain't one of 'em...)

3) For the first 6 months when you see a domain you like, simply put it on a list, but don't buy it... You'll thank me come Jan. 2018... (Virtually every beginning domainer wastes his/her money on worthless domains during their first year... Try to limit your downside by practicing without buying...)

4) Avail yourself of the great wisdom available on this site - It's priceless!

Good luck as you embark on your domaining adventure!

•••
Welcome to the forum!

3) For the first 6 months when you see a domain you like, simply put it on a list, but don't buy it... You'll thank me come Jan. 2018... (Virtually every beginning domainer wastes his/her money on worthless domains during their first year... Try to limit your downside by practicing without buying...)

best advise ever....never buy before putting them in a list....after your shopping session review the list and ask others and buy the ones that pop...you may lose some but trust me a better one is right around the corner...and nothing is worse than watching a great name a couple weeks later sell for cheap because you ran out of domain funds.

•••
Welcome to the forum!

A couple quick recommendations...

1) Look up the domain appraisal scam... (This gets many newbies right off the bat...)

2) Read, read, read, and learn the value of kw's (keywords)... e.g. Learn which kw's actually have value vs. those you... in your newbie wisdom... THINK will sell! ;) (Hint: "crystal" ain't one of 'em...)

4) Avail yourself of the great wisdom available on this site - It's priceless!

Oh I didn't know there was such a thing as appraisal scam, I'll be looking out for that thanks.

I know, everything in me was telling me not to buy it, but then I saw solarcrystal and the price it was going for and then my newbie self lost reason and bought it. Haha but I promise I won't be buying anything else until I have digested enough of this forum :)

•••
best advise ever....never buy before putting them in a list....after your shopping session review the list and ask others and buy the ones that pop...you may lose some but trust me a better one is right around the corner...and nothing is worse than watching a great name a couple weeks later sell for cheap because you ran out of domain funds.

Ah reminds me of something I read on the forums yesterday I think it was something like Quality > Quantity, I didn't realize its meaning until now, thanks!

•••
Oh I didn't know there was such a thing as appraisal scam, I'll be looking out for that thanks.

I know, everything in me was telling me not to buy it, but then I saw solarcrystal and the price it was going for and then my newbie self lost reason and bought it. Haha but I promise I won't be buying anything else until I have digested enough of this forum :)

You'll do just fine... Just take your time and read, read, read... (And, LOL, no worries about a single questionable "hand reg"... You'll laugh about it a year from now... Some of us who've been around a while have hundreds of these! ;))

PS - Always do your research and think about the rationale for particular word combinations... e.g. "Crystal" may have a special meaning in relation to "solar," but no meaning at all in relation to another term... (Like SEO) Research is another key attribute of a successful domainer, IMHO...

Last edited:
•••
You'll do just fine... Just take your time and read, read, read... (And, LOL, no worries about a single questionable "hand reg"... You'll laugh about it a year from now... Some of us who've been around a while have hundreds of these! ;))

Hundreds?? Haha oh man, looks like this whole domaining journey is gonna be so fun! I can't wait!!

•••
Welcome to namePros @LittlestIndie.

Would be good to read articles how to buy/register a good (quality) domain name.

•••
Welcome to namePros @LittlestIndie.

Would be good to read articles how to buy/register a good (quality) domain name.

Yup that's what I'll be doing doing for a while, I hope I can get the hang of it soon :)

•••
Welcome To NamePros Bro......... :xf.smile:
Happy Domaining.

•••
•••
Hi, total newbie here :)

Just recently learned about domaining so I decided to take action and start domaining. I registered a domain yesterday on godaddy and listed it as "make an offer" because I've read on a blog that it's a common thing to start as "make an offer" and then switch it to an auction once you get your first offer.

I would like to get advice on what's the best ways to drive traffic to my offer? I was thinking on using facebook groups related to the domain's niche to try and promote it, what do you guys think?

Welcome to the group (I am also a newbie, just here a few days longer than you!). Many more experienced than me have already provided suggestions re your query, and I would just add the following:
(1) If you have your own website, I would set the DNS to point the domain name to that and put a page mentioning the domain name and that it is for sale and a link to where it is listed for sale/auction to make it easy.
(2) If I have a domain that seems very appropriate for an organization, I have a few times sent a polite information to them telling them it is available. If you do that make it specific enough so it does not feel like spam (and make sure you are allowed to contact them).
(3) Of course NamePros!
(4) Your idea of related Facebook or other social media sites is a good one, as long as you can do it in a way that people will feel is not spam. I've done that a bit on Twitter, but not effective for me so far.
(5) If you have resources to do a basic website and there list that it is for sale, then the search engines might drive some potential buyers your way through searches (sort of same as first, but actually develop some worthwhile content).
All that being said, it is not easy to get noticed, and most of the highly desired auction sites have minimums that might make it not worthwhile on the risk listing there.

I have started actively seeking to sell part of my domain portfolio about two months ago, and while I have now sold 6 they are all very low end prices. In my case all 6 were a combination of the domain linked to my website linked to my listing on the Namecheap Marketplace to make it easy for purchasers.

Welcome to the list and good luck with selling your domain(s)!

Bob

•••
Welcome to the group (I am also a newbie, just here a few days longer than you!). Many more experienced than me have already provided suggestions re your query, and I would just add the following:
(1) If you have your own website, I would set the DNS to point the domain name to that and put a page mentioning the domain name and that it is for sale and a link to where it is listed for sale/auction to make it easy.
(2) If I have a domain that seems very appropriate for an organization, I have a few times sent a polite information to them telling them it is available. If you do that make it specific enough so it does not feel like spam (and make sure you are allowed to contact them).
(3) Of course NamePros!
(4) Your idea of related Facebook or other social media sites is a good one, as long as you can do it in a way that people will feel is not spam. I've done that a bit on Twitter, but not effective for me so far.
(5) If you have resources to do a basic website and there list that it is for sale, then the search engines might drive some potential buyers your way through searches (sort of same as first, but actually develop some worthwhile content).
All that being said, it is not easy to get noticed, and most of the highly desired auction sites have minimums that might make it not worthwhile on the risk listing there.

I have started actively seeking to sell part of my domain portfolio about two months ago, and while I have now sold 6 they are all very low end prices. In my case all 6 were a combination of the domain linked to my website linked to my listing on the Namecheap Marketplace to make it easy for purchasers.

Welcome to the list and good luck with selling your domain(s)!

Bob

Yeah so far I sent 3 emails to dating blogs letting them know that tipstodate com was available. No responses yet. I'll try to contact more people.

I'm really interested in the website thing you mentioned. Is that what's called parking? I haven't gotten to that topic yet on the forums.

I have an e-commerce store that I launched yesterday but I'm not sure I could link the domain since the store is not related to dating. Though I do have the resources to make a basic website stating that it's for sale (I'm a programmer :) ) the problem would be adding content since I'm not knowledgeable in that niche.

You sold 6?!? Wow even at low end prices if I could sell the 2 domains I have right now I'd be so happy :) !! I thought I would have to wait at least a year before I saw a penny. You just gave me hope, thanks!!

•••
•••
Welcome to NP :cat:
All you need to succeed in domaining is have fun! Learning is natural when you're having fun :xf.wink:
Good luck!

•••
Welcome to NP :cat:
All you need to succeed in domaining is have fun! Learning is natural when you're having fun :xf.wink:
Good luck!
I'm having mad fun so far thanks! :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back