Dynadot

advice Newbie here!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LittlestIndie

Established Member
Impact
Hi, total newbie here :)

Just recently learned about domaining so I decided to take action and start domaining. I registered a domain yesterday on godaddy and listed it as "make an offer" because I've read on a blog that it's a common thing to start as "make an offer" and then switch it to an auction once you get your first offer.

I would like to get advice on what's the best ways to drive traffic to my offer? I was thinking on using facebook groups related to the domain's niche to try and promote it, what do you guys think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi and a warm welcome to the forum

•••
Hello and Welcome to namePros @LittlestIndie

Good luck with your domaining career

•••
•••
Hi and welcome! I use FB Groups and Twitter myself. Not really very effective thus far.

•••
Hi and welcome! I use FB Groups and Twitter myself. Not really very effective thus far.

Oh really? I was expecting social sites to be the best way to drive traffic? The only 3 other ways that I know of are:

1. Posting on every auction sites like flippa and sedo but without premium exposure it seems like it wouldn't really generate any traffic.

2. Contacting small business owners who might be interested but considering the fact that I'm a newbie I feel like this is out of reach for now.

3. Posting on the marketplace but I'm not sure if I'm allowed since I wanted to transition from "make an offer" to an auction.

Any thoughts on what is usually recommended would be appreciated :)

•••
1. Posting on every auction sites like flippa and sedo but without premium exposure it seems like it wouldn't really generate any traffic.

TRUE

2. Contacting small business owners who might be interested but considering the fact that I'm a newbie I feel like this is out of reach for now.

I hear it works for some people. I literally sent hundreds of emails for multiple different domains. I only ever had 2 responses and both did not follow through.

3. I dont understand your last point. "Posting on the Marketplace?" It is true that for Sedo etc, if you get an offer, you could post to auction. I never did this though as I am sure you would be pissed off if it happened to you.

•••
3. I dont understand your last point. "Posting on the Marketplace?" It is true that for Sedo etc, if you get an offer, you could post to auction. I never did this though as I am sure you would be pissed off if it happened to you.

Ah true now that I think of it yes I would get pissed too, I will be doing an auction from the beginning instead of switching from "make an offer" to auction. Thanks for the help :)

•••
•••
Pleasure, In my experience, most of my domains were sold by end-users doing a "whois" lookup, because they want that specific domain. I have sold many domains on Flippa, some on Sedo and some on here.
ALWAYS put a reserve if you goto auction ALWAYS. Unless you want to test the waters and just get a sale under your belt. I have sold domains for $1 / $6 on Flippa when I started.

I usually just park my domains "for sale" at Sedo or Undeveloped and tried various other places like Bodis, DomainManage, Uniregistry, etc...

My advice: Just do it for the fun to start with and gain some experience. Dont chase the money, NEVER chase the money...

•••
•••
ALWAYS put a reserve if you goto auction ALWAYS. Unless you want to test the waters and just get a sale under your belt.

My advice: Just do it for the fun to start with and gain some experience. Dont chase the money, NEVER chase the money...

Oh didn't know a reserve was important, I thought it was unnecessary, I'll be sure to add that. And haha I know, for now I'm definitely not expecting to make money with this considering the fact that I'm just starting out. My domain is probably crap too, tipstodate.com, I can't even tell what it's worth, I'll be asking for an appraisal on the forum soon. That's why I wanted to use "make an offer" simce I had no sense of the value of my domain.

•••
Let me put it this way, I have seen MUCH worse sell on Sedo. Make an offer is good.

•••
Let me put it this way, I have seen MUCH worse sell on Sedo. Make an offer is good.

Alright, I'll be registering to sedo and go from there, thanks for all the help, really appreciate it, its tough being a newbie :)

•••
No Worries, ASK if you need help, and dont lend out your ears to just anyone. Domaining is fun, just enjoy it.

BTW, last time I checked Sedo asks $59 to start an auction. IMO, dont just pay that money and start an auction if you dont intend to contact endusers and point them to the auction AND/OR advertise your auction like crazy. FB/Twitter and also LinkedIn. Also on this forum and if you have some money there is one Gig on Fiverr which I use with some success.

•••
59? :0 godaddy was 8, shoot I think I'll stick to godaddy and this forum for now since I don't even know if my domain could be sold for more than 59 :(

•••
Hello and welcome! Good luck in your domaining career!

•••
•••
•••
Welcome to NP.

Getting offers for freshly registered domains is quite hard nowadays.

Those days are gone back in 2005 or so.

•••
•••
Welcome to NP.

Getting offers for freshly registered domains is quite hard nowadays.

Those days are gone back in 2005 or so.

Yeah I've been reading the beginner guides in this forum since yesterday and I'm now in the topic of outbound vs inbound for hand reg domains, and I think my best bet is to reach out to potential end-user buyers and just sell on the first offer, and do that again and again until I get a better feel for it and that I saved up enough to start investing on expired domains once I have more knowledge. It'll be a long journey but it looks like it'll be fun :)

Btw, I'll be asking for an appraisal, if any of you have some experience with hand reg domains, come over and let me know how little is my domain worth, thanks :)

•••
•••
•••
Yeah I've been reading the beginner guides in this forum since yesterday and I'm now in the topic of outbound vs inbound for hand reg domains, and I think my best bet is to reach out to potential end-user buyers and just sell on the first offer, and do that again and again until I get a better feel for it and that I saved up enough to start investing on expired domains once I have more knowledge. It'll be a long journey but it looks like it'll be fun :)

Btw, I'll be asking for an appraisal, if any of you have some experience with hand reg domains, come over and let me know how little is my domain worth, thanks :)

Post your domains in the appraisal thread. Members will give you some useful insights and feedback.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back