NameSilo

Negotiation does not end well.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dondomainer

domainnamescom.comTop Member
Impact
The usual receive an email from ( DomainAgents ) a company that says mediate for a buyer, interested in one of my domains, initial offer

DA - $200,
ME - Declined, ( do not send a counter offer )
DA - $500
ME - Declined, ( send counter - x,xxx ) and I make contact, bla bla, why this is a great domain, bla bla.
DA -Say : I can not offer more than - $800
ME - Declined, ( send counter - x,xxx ) Reduce - 500

But then, send me other offert of $850

Excuse me!, just he told me earlier that you can not offer more than $800 but then, rise to $850, so basically I reduced the price for nothing, why he offer again after saying " I can not offer more than - $800 ", so basically he lied to me or at least it is how it feels.

My final answer - Cancel negotiation.

If there is someone here from Domain Agent, do not take this wrong, just that if your agent says you can not more than one figure, should not continue offering especially if the other party has lowered the price.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In my opinion, there is really anything about lieyin during negotiations. It's just part of negotiations process. Buyer can through you any kind of strategic negotiation; and I think you will do too. So, therefore if you want great sell, you shouldn't include such ego in your selling approach. This if you want great result.

•••
In my opinion, there is really anything about lieyin during negotiations. It's just part of negotiations process. Buyer can through you any kind of strategic negotiation; and I think you will do too. So, therefore if you want great sell, you shouldn't include such ego in your selling approach. This if you want great result.

For me, that is to take advantage, lying : It is when you say something, it's not true.

- I can not exceed this limit
- ok, and i can not lower of this. ( for me, is the end of negotiation )
- Hey.. looks just exceed this limit.

In a negotiation you not need lie.

And is not ego, is honor.

Last edited:
•••
I received an offer from DA last Thursday. similar situation

•••
I wonder, why he can not offer, without saying - I can not get over this price, and then continue offering.

because it happens that puts us at a disadvantage.

•••
Strange I always get $200
Opening offers also, this could be what they consult to open at.

I have received a half dozen inquiries never even closed one.

Kinda like the sedo $90 low balls.

My time is worth more than playing these kind of pricing games, if they want the domain contact the parked lander with link.

•••
He was trying to measure you, and it was not a lie; that's all. And if you told him your final answer was "cancelled negotiations" I think you just end the might be a great sell.

•••
He was trying to measure you, and it was not a lie; that's all. And if you told him your final answer was "cancelled negotiations" I think you just end the might be a great sell.

I dont care great sale under lying, to do that, I get a political...in fact, i lost almost $800 for to honor my word and did not take advantage.

I try to be domainer, learn to negotiate, not lies, otherwise, I would be politician.

Last edited:
•••
I think you did the right thing. If someone acts unethical its better not to deal with them. These guys spamming to death after I told them not to email me anymore. They doing low ball offers trying to resell the names to their clients.

•••
My biggest sale(5 figure), went through that stage where the buyer said a certain amount was their max.. All I did was stuck to my price and because they really wanted the name they finally gave in at the price i dictated.

Don't take the negotiation process personally... My buyer said a certain amount was his max: I knew he could offer more. What the buyer means by max, is not always that they can't afford higher; but it's about them not wanting to pay over a certain amount. Now when you say no, they comeback later on and raise their offer if they really want a particular name. Now don't jump calling them a liar...

You are not trying to find a soul mate here??????
These are wolves simply practicing the art of negotiaton. Simply state your price or range and hold to.
Sometimes, people want the lowest price possible, other times they have a budget they don't want to exceed...Sometimes they'll come back with more.

I believe in business integrity, but we cannot get so carried away. This a negotiation.

Lastly, someone saying they, cannot offer more than x amount, is not a always a lie.. It's not saying they can't afford to. It's more saying they they arn't willing to spend more on that particular domain, but they really want it. Now they hope you will give in to their price and they are willing to pay-nothing more. Now that doesn't mean they can't change their mind...they didn't say they can''t afford more but that they can't offer more.

You are going to go crazy if this bothers you. 90% of negotiations imo are like this...You can't go crazy every time someone says this is my final offer or i can't offer more etc... you can only control how you react. You are not negotiating with mother Theresa man.

But, I respect your choice; who knows? maybe they'll come running back with a x,xxx seeing you arn't into games. I like your heart and mindset.. I might sharpen up a bit from this. much success to you.

Last edited:
•••
Bummer. Sounds like you weren't too far apart.

Last edited:
•••
@gipson
DA -Say : I can not offer more than - $800
ME - Declined, ( send counter - x,xxx ) Reduce - 500

But then, send me other offert of $850.

This is normal, if you want to play fair dont make a counter offer when DA say i can not offer more than 800.
If he had offerd you one dollar les than your asking price you would take it right? Is it still a lie because his last offer was 800?

•••
I don't see anything wrong or unethical here. You are trying to get a certain amount, and they are trying to negotiate the lowest possible price. It's OK for them to counter again after setting a limit on how much they'd like to spend... I would gladly welcome them to keep coming up even higher over their own initial budget...

By your own logic, it was unfair for you to counter with a price that was still over their budget of 800; you should have ended the negotiation right then and there.

...But instead, you continued to ask them to step over that line -and when they did, you got offended? I don't get it...

If they had met your price, would you have still called them a liar and cancel the deal?

Don't get me wrong, they may come back and offer an amount you will agree to, but I just can't wrap my brain around getting upset over someone increasing their budget...

Last edited:
•••
I do it all the time, make out i can only pay a certain amount but prepared to offer more or when I'm selling quote a higher price than I'm prepared to sell for, so don't see anything wrong here.

It happens in every industry, negotiating salaries for jobs/buying an house/buying a car/trying to get a better tv package, both sides bluff until you come to an agreement.

Last edited:
•••
I do it all the time, make out i can only pay a certain amount but prepared to offer more or when I'm selling quote a higher price than I'm prepared to sell for, so don't see anything wrong here.

It happens in every industry, negotiating salaries for jobs/buying an house/buying a car/trying to get a better tv package, both sides bluff until you come to an agreement.

That's not true, in a negotiation there must be no lies, so, it is not ethical, no matter how small or large is the lie, and depending on which field and parties could you have legal problems.

What is the role of ethics in negotiation? The dictionary definition of ethics is: "a system of moral principles or values; the rules or standards governing the conduct of the members of a profession; accepted principles of right or wrong." Ethics establish the means of doing what is right, fair and honest

Another thing is that people have the wrong perspective about this topic, usually, if you are the beneficiary side.

you know many times I said, - there are others interested in a domain.
never, why ?! because first it's a lie, second, i have the domain so i do not need lying, i want to win, yes, but money does not change my moral.

In short : I want to sell good domains, or at least that I believe, they are good domains, something very different, I'm going to take advantage of your need

Last edited:
•••
You must never go to a market,
or cardealer(;
And if you don't like to take advantage and you have a good moral, don't register domains.
Taking Advantage + changing moral= domaining.(;

•••
You must never go to a market,
or cardealer(;
And if you don't like to take advantage and you have a good moral, don't register domains.
Taking Advantage + changing moral= domaining.(;

Good to know, now I know, with whom I never do business.

•••
Bless you for believing in "honest/moral' negotiations Gipson. SERIOUSLY!!!

Unfortunately, I am going to suggest you are in the minority of the world's population. Negotiationing a price often involves bluffing - buy both seller and buyer - in order to get the best possible deal.

Being the cynic I am, I would even suggest that you also "lied" when you provided your opening price as you are obviously willing to take less than that amount. :xf.wink:

Also, now knowing that you take people "at their word", if I'm ever interested in buying any of your domains I will be sure to tell you the "maximum" price I can afford...

Last edited:
•••
People with moral standards like yours cannot be successful salespersons, politicians, or poker players.... Maybe you're in the wrong business?

•••
People with moral standards like yours cannot be successful salespersons, politicians, or poker players.... Maybe you're in the wrong business?

1 ) Plz , Tell me when a pokerplayer lying on the table.

2 ) The lie has always been the easy way, i studied communication and advertising, and when working on that, i am a poker player, I pretend, play my cards right, I speak from my point of view, but never tell lies, but no, misleading advertising.

•••

2 ) The lie has always been the easy way, i studied communication and advertising, and when working on that, i am a poker player, I pretend, play my cards right, I speak from my point of view, but never tell lies, but no, misleading advertising.
The game of poker is entirely based on who is the best "bluffer". You raise to fool the other player into thinking you have a winning, or at least a decent hand. There is absolutely nothing "honest" about that, and if you are always truthful in poker, then you obviously do not understand the game.

•••

pre·tend
prəˈtend/
verb
verb: pretend; 3rd person present: pretends; past tense: pretended; past participle: pretended; gerund or present participle: pretending
  1. 1.
    speak and act so as to make it appear that something is the case when in fact it is not.
Then I would suggest that DA was pretending $800 was his/her max.

•••
The game of poker is entirely based on who is the best "bluffer". You raise to fool the other player into thinking you have a winning, or at least a decent hand. There is absolutely nothing "honest" about that, and if you are always truthful in poker, then you obviously do not understand the game.

SS
pre·tend
prəˈtend/
verb
verb: pretend; 3rd person present: pretends; past tense: pretended; past participle: pretended; gerund or present participle: pretending
  1. 1.
    speak and act so as to make it appear that something is the case when in fact it is not.
Then I would suggest that DA was pretending $800 was his/her max.

Right : is based on your perspective, your interpretation.

That is the true art of communication.

Lying has certain characteristics that are sometimes not present with pretending. If you tell a lie, you verbally misrepresent the truth. You can pretend to be asleep orpretend to have not heard someone say something, without this verbal element.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try this.

Both pretending and lying are acts of deception which intended to mislead others. But lying is considered as an immoral act. Pretending or bluffing is a harmless act actually but lying stands as an act of disobedience which has its roots in one's childhood itself and grows to make a person a practised liar. In short, lying means falsehood. Let us now proceed to look into the differences between both of these terms. Just read further to know which of them possess consequences, which requires thinking, and what's the success rate associated with each of them.

http://recomparison.com/comparisons/100256/pretending-vs-lying/

Last edited:
•••
... Right : is based on your perspective, your interpretation.

That is the true art of communication.
So from his perspective he was pretending and from your perspective he was lying. :laugh:

Successful negotiating is the art of finding that point where both parties are able to share/agree on a certain perspective at a particular moment in time.TM

Last edited:
•••
So from his perspective he was pretending and from your perspective he was lying. :laugh:

Successful negotiating is the art of finding that point where both parties are able to share/agree on a certain perspective at a particular moment in time. TM

No he no pretending, because he said - I can not go higher than this. $$$... then later, do the exact opposite.

Consequences : I lower the price $ 500 for a lie.

The question is :

what happens, if I had not reduced the prices, because certainly he can offer more.

You see, an advantage, taken from a lie.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back