Dynadot

advice I just failed a negotiation : I thought he was bluffing... but he wasn't (T@stySh@res in king)

NameSilo
Watch

Jv1999

Hopeless Fighter: Desolate Knight of Exo TowersTop Member
Impact
New offer (via Dan)

$100

DJ

Mar 23, 16:06

JV

Counter offer

$799

You

Mar 23, 19:44

JV

Hello X! Thank you for your interest! I can discount this social media food domain a bit for you.

You

Mar 23, 19:45

DJ

Thank you. But we bought a domain name already.

Mar 23, 23:40

JV

Best of luck to you. It's too bad. Many viral brands use "Taste" in their name... like Tastemade

You

Mar 23, 23:46

DJ

Bad ?

Mar 23, 23:48

JV

It's an expression in English to say that it's unfortunate we couldn't do business and that you may have missed out on a better brand.

You

Mar 23, 23:53

DJ

Yes. You’re right. We bought a domain that starts “Taste”. Your domain is “tasty” and also plural.

DJ

Ah thank you. We understand and we bought a good domain only that will be highly brandable.

Mar 23, 23:54

DJ

Your name is nice too. We can offer $150 and can buy as an additional name.

Mar 23, 23:55

JV

Oh, good. I'm glad you have found a domain with "taste" and singular. The truth is, "shares" makes sense in this context because "share" is incorrect grammar. Although, for branding purposes, it can still work. But "TastyShare" doesn't quite resonate with native speakers as much as "TastyShares." Tasty Shares means lots of people are sharing tasty recipes or there are an abundant amount of recipes being shared... hence "Shares."

You

Mar 23, 23:57

JV

$150 is a bit low. TastyDetails.com sold for $271. That's worse than my domain.

You

00:01

DJ

I can understand. But we already bought a domain. We are buying this additional. 150 is my max. Good luck

00:03

JV

Well, the most I can go down to is $499. That's my final offer.

Having two brands is good because it can potentially drive more audience to your content. That way, you're not rivaling someone else.

You

00:04

DJ

1. This is totally a diff domain than what we bought now.
2. We are a branding team and understand branding and brand names well.
3. $150 is what I can throw max.
Cancel this negotiation if you can’t accept.
Thank you for your time and effort.
Good luck!

00:07

DJ

And for your no big brands use the “shares” but only “share”
Skillshare
Slideshare
Jumpshare
Toffeeshare
Etc

00:10

JV

If you understand branding well, you wouldn't be undervaluing this brand at $150.

I will cancel the negotiation. Happy spring season to you and your company.

You

00:11

DJ

Thank you. Wish you too!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Both the buyer and seller are Namepros members.

•••
just wondering, where in the negotiation did i shoot myself in the foot? the bin is at 999, i countered 799 initially from his 100.
You can only do so much. Not every inquiry has the potential to pan out, in fact the vast majority don't.

In this type of price range I will normally put a price out there, and largely stick to it.

If the buyer wants the domain bad enough, they have to move into range.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
You can only do so much. Not every inquiry has the potential to pan out, in fact the vast majority don't.

In this type of price range I will normally put a price out there, and largely stick to it.

If the buyer wants the domain bad enough, they have to move into range.

Brad
most of my domains are in that price range now :'(

•••
This buyer was never going to pay more than $100 so no big loss. That being said saying less is more.

•••
WHAT DO PEOPEL USUALLY SAY BACK AND FORTH ?
i read posts about pros negotiating for months
You were being argumentative with the buyer (downright insulting) just like you are on this thread. Don’t have opening offers so low and you won’t get these type of buyers.

•••
What's the big deal? You would have lost money at $750 and a ton of money at $150, so just move on.

•••
You were being argumentative with the buyer (downright insulting) just like you are on this thread. Don’t have opening offers so low and you won’t get these type of buyers.
How am I being argumentative and insultive on this thread? By asking questions? A bit authoritarian of a stance there...

To the buyer, maybe I was being insultive when I said, "if you think it's only 150 then you don't know the value of this brand"

•••
I like the plural better. Someone will see his brand and say "I can do better" and buy your plural. This is peanuts cost for a brand product.

Last edited:
•••
DJ

Yes. You’re right. We bought a domain that starts “Taste”. Your domain is “tasty” and also plural.

DJ

Ah thank you. We understand and we bought a good domain only that will be highly brandable.

Mar 23, 23:54

DJ

Your name is nice too. We can offer $150 and can buy as an additional name.

Mar 23, 23:55
He told you he was uninterested and wanted Taste - he then lowballed you as he could sense desperation.
This is the point to stand firm or walk away.

•••
You think it's that bad? I don't htink Tasty + share makes any sense. It sounds incorrect.

Tasty + Shares sounds like exactly what it does: "Shares" from social media.
TastyShares.com is a good name. I immediately understood what the name meant, which is the most important.

•••
The problem starts with the make offer option. I am getting rid of it from all my domains. HugeDomains, would have a make offer option if it was good.

A lot of people think that if they entered a make offer that the system accepted (especially if they first tried 50 dollars and then 100) that your price is 100 or maybe 150. Sellers on ebay learned this years ago. People see a brand new iphone15 with a make offer of a minimum of 50 and they think the seller is desperate and they will get it for 50 or 100. They start building a fantasy just to have that fantasy ruined really quick when the seller replies.

When you have domain for sale at XXXX or XXX, you certainly don't want the make offer option. List the price and offer a payment plan and that is it.

I would not be surprised if this buyer does come back to you at a later date, unless his idea was a brain fart and he is now on to the next idea.
How funny, I just did the same thing with all of my Dan domains yesterday! The idea popped into my mind a few days back. It struck me that having a Buy It Now (BIN) price with a renewal up to 2026, alongside a Make Offer option, might not be the best strategy. It seems to send mixed signals to potential buyers. In my experience, when buyers see the Make Offer option, they're tempted to test the waters with a lowball offer—I've already had a couple try their luck with $100 offers on my domains.

Given that we're likely to renew these valuable domains anyway, opting for a Make Offer approach doesn't seem wise. It might inadvertently encourage lower offers than we're aiming for.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back