Dynadot

news NamePros November 2021 – A new website and more!

NameSilo
Watch

NamePros

NamePros.comEstablished Member
NamePros Staff
Impact
Welcome to the new NamePros in November!

Today marks the first step toward a lot of positive and exciting changes coming to NamePros. You'll notice that most of what you loved is still here, and we're working hard to bring back even more.

And that's only the beginning! We'll be bringing you regular updates, sometimes weekly, to add the features you've requested (please vote on features you want to see first!) and improve your experience.

Our mission is to build a thriving professional network around the best community – that's you! – where professionals can engage in civil discussions, ask questions, share advice, partner, transact, and succeed, all together.

We hope you'll have a look around, and let us know what you think!

All our best,

The NamePros Team

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Depending on the forum you're in, the first post in each thread may be pinned to the top of the page regardless of which page of the thread you're on.

I think that this is a good feature to keep specially if the thread starter can use the first paragraph in the original post to explain the rules for the thread and set the tone for what is going to be the subject of the discussions.

This way the rules and the guidelines for the thread will show up at the top of all the subsequent pages and that can help keep the conversations on topic and thus make things easier for the Mods

IMO

•••
It is relevant only for very recent threads...
In all other scenarios these pinned posts have an annoying and misleading effect...

Last edited:
•••
The number of up/downvotes you can give to any single post depends on your own score. The higher your impact, the more votes you can give to a single piece of content.

So basically, if I collect an awful lot of points in the What are you listening to at the moment section, I can use those impactful points in other sections with more serious discussions. That's just an example, of course.

•••
Instead of those unnecessary votes, give me power to highlight trolls...
Because admins/mods usually don't see them + your forum engine doesn't log all user's activity...

•••
Every change is a learning process. We are so used to the old design, so one needs to unlearn, relearn and embrace the change. That's it! Thank you Namepros, like this elegant and futuristic design.

•••
I have not read through the entire thread, but it seems like you can just keep spamming that up arrow on someone's post and the number just keeps going up, making "impact score" kind of irrelevant. Am I missing something?

Brad

•••
•••
So basically, if I collect an awful lot of points in the What are you listening to at the moment section, I can use those impactful points in other sections with more serious discussions. That's just an example, of course.
Or in the welcome thread, which I've seen many people do. Free irrelevant impact points = more power = possible abuse

Last edited:
•••
Or in the welcome thread, which I've seen many people do. Free irrelevant impact points = more power = possible abuse

I was able to give you (1) Thanks, (1) Agree and +10 impact score.

Surely this system needs to be worked on.

Brad

•••
The "New threads" section combines results from all forums. I wish I could filter to only see domain discussions, or just sales
There is a “Discussion” tab there, too. For just sales, use the “Buy” link in the navigation bar.

So the Bcoming Soon and Naming Soon banners have nothing to do with this new NamePros website?
Correct.

Where can we find our NP$/credit
Answered previously: https://www.namepros.com/threads/namepros-november-2021-a-new-website-and-more.1041901/post-8444344

can you please give a little clarification of what these up/down arrows are called and used for?
They allow you to add/remove points from a post without adding a public quick reply (e.g., Like or Agree).

Or in the welcome thread, free impact points.
Currently, yes, but the tech team already knew that would happen and designed it to be weighted; it just hasn’t been enabled yet.

For now, it’s just collecting data. Then the Impact score and influence of each member will be adjusted to reflect a more accurate representation of their contribution to the community.

But you don’t have to worry about any of that. Use it as you see fit, and the tech geniuses will handle the rest.

it seems like you can just keep spamming that up arrow on someone's post and the number just keeps going up, making "impact score" kind of irrelevant. Am I missing something?
You have the maximum amount of influence that’s currently possible. Please use it responsibly. Learn more: https://www.namepros.com/threads/namepros-november-2021-a-new-website-and-more.1041901/post-8445546

We hope that helps.

•••
You have the maximum amount of influence that’s currently possible. Please use it responsibly. Learn more: https://www.namepros.com/threads/namepros-november-2021-a-new-website-and-more.1041901/post-8445546

We hope that helps.

Thanks. I am still a bit confused by the new system.

So what makes the impact score go up exactly?

Does a "thank" or "like" make it go up by one?
Does an "agree" or "disagree" have any impact on it?

The part on the right with the arrows, will that raise or lower the "impact score" by the total number?

I think I am just going to just stick to the Thanks / Like / Agree for now, though it would be nice if the options were on the actual post instead of having to hover over a button to make them appear.

Brad

•••
So what makes the impact score go up exactly?
Currently, just points on posts. Eventually, it will include other things, such as member reports that helped the community, lack of warnings received, etc.

Does a "thank" or "like" make it go up by one?
Does an "agree" or "disagree" have any impact on it?
Yes, these are set to the same as before: 0 points for disagree; -1 point for dislike; and +1 point for like, agree, and thanks.

We’ll eventually add a lot more quick reply options (formerly called reactions), such as “Love” for +2 points.

Note: You cannot exceed your influence. If your influence is a maximum of +2 points per post, you will only be able to assign +2 points to my post, even if you love it (+2) and agree with it (+1), which is a total of +3.

It’s a super sophisticated system that is eventually going to be part of community moderation. But from your perspective, it’s simpler:

You simply quick reply with the words or phrases that fit what you think/feel, and optionally, look at the points that were automatically assigned as a result of your quick replies. If you think the post deserves more or less points, you can adjust them manually.

For example, a lot of members used to add a “Like” and add an “Agree” to posts before because they wanted to give the post +2 points. Now you can just give the post +2 points without needing to use quick replies if you want.

With the new system, you can even add a “Disagree” to a post and add +2 points to it because although you may not agree with it, you can still appreciate that it was shared.

Last edited:
•••
@Bravo Mod Team I gave you a Thanks, but immediately adjusted those points with minus 1. Just for testing purposes, I don't know what I'm doing. Don't take it personally :xf.smile:🙏

I'd rather see the old like, dislike, agree, disagree system without any additional points option. Simply because I don't understand all this. And, the more buttons, the more distraction.

Would be good to see the likes again in the alert stream. I'm not feeling the ambiance right now, and what's happening on the forum. I'm missing important and nuanced feedback, which has a negative effect on participation.

•••
Currently, just points on posts. Eventually, it will include other things, such as member reports that helped the community, lack of warnings received, etc.

Yes, these are set to the same as before: 0 points for disagree; -1 point for dislike; and +1 point for like, agree, and thanks.

We’ll eventually add a lot more quick reply options (formerly called reactions), such as “Love” for +2 points.

Note: You cannot exceed your influence. If your influence is a maximum of +2 points per post, you will only be able to assign +2 points to my post, even if you love it (+2) and agree with it (+1), which is a total of +3.

It’s a super sophisticated system that is eventually going to be part of community moderation. But from your perspective, it’s simpler:

You simply quick reply with the words or phrases that fit what you think/feel, and optionally, look at the points that were automatically assigned as a result of your quick replies. If you think the post deserves more or less points, you can adjust them manually.

For example, a lot of members used to add a Like and add an Agree to posts before because they wanted to give the post +2 points. Now you can just give the post +2 points without needing to use quick replies if you want.

Please add a "LOL" option.

•••
@Bravo Mod Team I gave you a Thanks, but immediately adjusted those points with minus 1. Just for testing purposes, I don't know what I'm doing.
You’re in control. :)

You may be thankful that someone shared their opinion but also dislike the way they presented it. Then a “Thanks” and -1 makes sense.

But keep in mind you don’t have to use it any differently than before. The previous functionality still exists: it’s called Automatic mode, and it’s the default.

Last edited:
•••
You’re in control. :)

You may be thankful that someone shared their opinion but also dislike the way they presented it. Then a “Thanks” and -1 makes sense.
True :)

•••
Would be good to see the likes again in the alert stream.

I agree, it is important to know and get an alert for what post people like for feedback, and also an alert for dislike/disagree and the new up ^ and down ... to see who gave the points and how many etc. This will help us post better content and monitor for abusing the new "impact points" system.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I agree, it is important to know and get an alert for what post people like for feedback, and also an alert for dislike/disagree and the new up ^ and down ... to see who give the points and how many etc. This will help us post better content.
Exactly. Those alerts trigger interactions and community building in a lot of different ways. So there will be less participation and interactions without them. But I sense they will be back in the future.

Last edited:
•••
@Bravo Mod Team How many impact points must we have to get the maximum possible "up" ^ and "down" impact votes. I currently can only upvote +5 and downvote -3, and @bmugford seems he can upvote ^ with +10 points, right? And how many points can someone with max "power" downvote?

Last edited:
•••
How many impact points must we have to get the maximum possible "up" ^ and "down" impact votes. I currently can only upvote +5 and downvote -3, and @bmugford seems he can upvote ^ with +10 points, right? And how many points can someone with max "power" downvote?
This has already changed and will likely continue to change over time.

At one point, it took about 10000 Impact to have the maximum influence of -5 to +10. It may be different now.

Even us moderators aren’t going to know the specifics over time.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
•••
There is a “Discussion” tab there, too. For just sales, use the “Buy” link in the navigation bar.
The "Buy" link doesn't sort by newest threads, it sorts by latest post. The problem with that is that I have to see again and again the same old bumped threads.

Last edited:
•••
The "Buy" link doesn't sort by newest threads, it sorts by latest post. The problem with that is that I have to see again and again the same old bumped threads.
Coming soon.

•••
Yes it's always been there as long as I remember anyways..
In that case, I must have been missing something because I've been using 3rd part image host to add images to my posts. Glad I found it now though.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back