IT.COM

news NamePros November 2021 – A new website and more!

NameSilo
Watch

NamePros

NamePros.comEstablished Member
NamePros Staff
Impact
Welcome to the new NamePros in November!

Today marks the first step toward a lot of positive and exciting changes coming to NamePros. You'll notice that most of what you loved is still here, and we're working hard to bring back even more.

And that's only the beginning! We'll be bringing you regular updates, sometimes weekly, to add the features you've requested (please vote on features you want to see first!) and improve your experience.

Our mission is to build a thriving professional network around the best community – that's you! – where professionals can engage in civil discussions, ask questions, share advice, partner, transact, and succeed, all together.

We hope you'll have a look around, and let us know what you think!

All our best,

The NamePros Team

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't know if it's appropriate for me to thank you for this,

but the point here is that the up and down vote system should be used based on the merits of the message and not on any animosities that people might have towards one another in their own mind.

IMO

You know, I don't like you attitude. 10 downvotes. JK. :)

Brad

Last edited:
•••
You know, I don't like you attitude. 10 downvotes. JK. :)

Brad
Brad you are supposed to have the maximum impact on the forum currently so make sure you only vote when you are your nicer self :)

•••
Brad you are supposed to have the maximum impact on the forum currently so make sure you only vote when you are your nicer self :)
With great power comes great responsibility. :)

I will use it to down vote as much as I currently use dislike, which is hardly ever.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
With great power comes great responsibility. :)

I will use it to down vote as much as I currently use dislike, which is hardly ever.

Brad
joking aside I don't know how the Mods can prevent all the malicious down votes (or all the undeserved up votes).

IMO

•••
joking aside I don't know how the Mods can prevent all the malicious down votes (or all the undeserved up votes).

IMO
Hopefully they have some kind of system on the back end that flags unusual behavior.

It could really be used to inflate "impact score" or hurt others if used in a malicious way.

At this point I really only feel comfortable giving a +2. Maybe on the rarest of occasions higher, but I don't really want to see impact score inflation which makes the whole system become an issue.

Brad

•••
Hopefully they have some kind of system on the back end that flags unusual behavior.

It could really be used to inflate "impact score" or hurt others if used in a malicious way.

At this point I really only feel comfortable giving a +2. Maybe on the rarest of occasions higher, but I don't really want to see impact score inflation which makes the whole system become an issue.

Brad
Lets hope that everyone else will treat this as responsibly as you do,

but I believe that there should be some additional requirements for being able to do up and down votes (like members have to be vetted somehow before they are allowed to do that).

NamePros should come up with some kind of a badge for members who have proven to be professional, trustworthy and responsible in the way that they handle themselves on the forum (a special badge that has to be earned and that can not be bought).

IMO

Last edited:
•••
2. The pinned first post of every thread, also needless. People now have to scroll more down to get to see the first post of every page. Again, more extra work to do with the scroll wheel.

I think this is one of the BEST new features. Now on the sales threads I can edit my first post, and I don't need leave the current page. This is a HUGE improvement in productivity. LOVE IT. On other threads we can see the first post, which is basically what caused all the interest in the thread. LOVE IT.

•••
Only on devices that didn't have any touchscreen capabilities, which excludes many newer laptops. This created an inconsistency across devices that could be rather annoying, and it was potentially an accessibility issue as well.

If you'd like instantaneous notifications, head to https://www.namepros.com/account/preferences and click the "Enable push notifications" button about halfway down the page:
Show attachment 203350
Hey Paul,
How come you're not going for consistency in this regard then?:
- I now have to click the Alerts button whereas it use to display on Hover.
BUT
- Any time my mouse pointer hovers over an Avatar the Member's profile info displays automatically. I can't remember if that's how it was before, but I think either it wasn't (needed a mouse click), or the pop-up was a lot smaller (perhaps both). All I know is that I didn't find any issue there before, whereas now I accidentally hover over an avatar and I have a big pop-up covering the content I'm trying to read. Maybe it's just me, but I'm finding that annoying.

•••
As far as the upvoting, if you click like agree or thanks its an auto upvote. If you click dislike or disagree its an automatic downvote.

All it means is your post or contribution will be valued higher in that particular thread if someone is searching by helpful post or something with that kind of terminology your post will be shown near the top if it has many likes. Should a thread get to XX to XXX pages that kind of feature is nice for someone new to the thread.

•••
As far as the upvoting, if you click like agree or thanks its an auto upvote. If you click dislike or disagree its an automatic downvote.
But the Like and Dislike can only give one up or down vote at a time as oppose to the up and down arrows that can give up to 10 up and down votes at a time by just one member ( hopefully that would be by someone who uses this system responsibly).

IMO

•••
•••
Currently they don't have such system, and even their logging system is far from ideal.
This is from my recent Abuse conversation.

p.s. Paradise for trolls...

Last edited:
•••
I think this is one of the BEST new features. Now on the sales threads I can edit my first post, and I don't need leave the current page. This is a HUGE improvement in productivity. LOVE IT. On other threads we can see the first post, which is basically what caused all the interest in the thread. LOVE IT.

I absolutely agree with you. I also think it is one of the best new features. I'm really glad Namepros implemented it.

•••
I don't know if it's appropriate for me to thank you for this,

but the point here is that the up and down vote system should be used based on the merits of the message and not on any animosities that people might have towards one another in their own mind.

IMO

True, just wanted to see how it works so what better opportunity to do it to a post you agree with :). That upvoting things will get real messy real soon. Can imagine it brings extra workload for the mods but what do we know?

Lets just see how things evolve from here. Time changes, websites change. Not much that can be done about it.

I'm curious whether people are less active on the forum because of the UI. I just realized I personally haven't been spending much time here since.

•••
Last few days I spend my time mostly in this thread or in DM mode...

•••
Time changes, websites change. Not much that can be done about it.
ParkingCrew is stable for many years. Were no any major updates in their UI.
It just works...

•••
Then they can set it up for sales threads only. But for the rest of the threads I see it unnecessary. You love it, I hate it :xf.cool:

•••
In dark mode, dark blue fonts are almost invisible. Like the ones of some member nicknames like

bmugford or Frans Citroën

•••
Dark mode is dangerous for eye health, don't use it - if you spend hours on NP daily...

•••
Dark mode is dangerous for eye health, don't use it - if you spend hours on NP daily...
I am used to dark mode. Looking at a white background all day long is like looking at a white lamp. Anyway that's a matter of taste I guess. :xf.smile:

•••
In the member's Feedback page, where it shows every feedback received, now you cannot see who is the seller and the buyer. I think that before they could be differentiated, by seller or buyer.

•••
You may change Color temperature or Brightness on your display...

•••
You may change Color temperature or Brightness on your display...
Yes I know... :xf.smile: But the darkest color temperature for a white background is a black background :xf.grin:
If you are just a few hours looking at a white background it's ok, but for more time... I prefer a black background. Anyway thanks for your advice. (y)

•••
I use sRGB temperature on my 23" Philips - and white color doesn't disturb me...

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back