NameSilo

NamePros is awesome, with one glaring exception...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
It's now getting rediculous in the sales threads how much people are bumping, with no added info or price drop!

At this moment there are five threads with 20+ meaningless bumps in fixed price.

Any chance NPs could limit bumps to 10% price drops, or 2-3 per thread, or one bump per name listed in the post (I have more understanding when someone posts 20 names in one thread and then bumps), or something??

Members, if you agree (or disagree) please reply.

Thanks!

p.s. Other than that, NPs is the place to be!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
People are allowed to bump their thread once every 24 hours. If you see anyone bumping sooner than that, feel free to report it and a mod will take care of it :)

The forum cycles fast enough that if people aren't allowed to bump within a reasonably short period of time, their sales threads would quickly end up on page 3,4, etc and many people stop looking after page 2 (I know I usually do).

•••
Hi Reece. I'm glad you responded - I always appreciate your feedback and insight!

In this case, please consider that one reason things cycle so fast is the bumps themselves. Without the bumps things would very dramatically slow down - in fact right now on the fixed price page 5/6 of the posts are bumps - without them your new post would last 5-6x longer on page 1.

So yes, right now the system motivates everyone to do meaningless bumps.

•••
Yeah, I understand what you're saying about the threads that are filled with a bunch of bumps. The reason we have the rule about allowing bumps is to eliminate the need for duplicate threads. Sellers were creating new threads every week for the same domains and that was a pet peeve of mine. At least with bumps, the domains stay contained in a single thread.

If you can get past the annoyance factor of bumps, you can (as a buyer) use them to gauge how eager the seller is and how the market is responding. Even if the seller doesn't post a 10% price reduction with their bump, I'd wager they'd be willing to hear an offer of 10-20% less than their original asking price after a few days of bumping a thread. It's all in how you look at it.

Thanks for the feedback!

RJ

•••
That's actually a good point -- if everyone bumps, then nobody ends up being better off. Honestly, I kind of like your suggestion -- presumably the listing fell off the first page in the first place because those viewing the listing either weren't interested or felt it was too priced. Forcing people to cut the price by X% when bumping would most likely both cut down on the number of bumps and provide buyers and sellers with more successful transactions.

Hi Reece. I'm glad you responded - I always appreciate your feedback and insight!

In this case, please consider that one reason things cycle so fast is the bumps themselves. Without the bumps things would very dramatically slow down - in fact right now on the fixed price page 5/6 of the posts are bumps - without them your new post would last 5-6x longer on page 1.

So yes, right now the system motivates everyone to do meaningless bumps.

•••
Thank you both - I had an interesting idea after reading your responses. What if there was a section where each member could only post one sales thread total per month. You'd choose your best deal, or the one you really think will move. Maybe you could charge a nominal # of NP$s (100 or so or something), just to ensure reasonable quality.

I'd certainly browse that, and likely even go past the first page or two...

•••
That's a pretty cool idea. If it came with a small NP$ fee, it might also help stabilize the NP$ economy :tu:

Thank you both - I had an interesting idea after reading your responses. What if there was a section where each member could only post one sales thread total per month. You'd choose your best deal, or the one you really think will move. Maybe you could charge a nominal # of NP$s (100 or so or something), just to ensure reasonable quality.

I'd certainly browse that, and likely even go past the first page or two...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back