Dynadot

Namecheap: "Sorry, we mistakenly deleted your domains... but you can recover them for just $688."

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

PJ Baldwin

Established Member
Impact
You won't believe the nightmarish experience I've had with Namecheap over the past few days.

And to prove I'm not making this story up or misrepresenting anything, I'm providing screenshots of my online Chat Transcript and Support Ticket with their "customer service" team... linked at the bottom of this thread.

First of all, some background: For those of you who have never used Namecheap, they have an unusually aggressive policy of auto-renewing domains an entire month in advance (in contrast to most registrars which renew domains the day of or 1 day before expiration). I discovered this on August 28th when they auto-renewed my first Namecheap order from 11 months ago, which consisted of 8 "new gTLD" domains (.shop, .blog, .news, etc) for a total of $211. The problem, I argued, is that the only "notice" they sent me prior to doing this was confusing, at best, and arguably misleading.

Eventually (after an hour), Namecheap agreed to cancel this auto-renewal order placed by their system, based on the rationale I provided.

Everything was fine up to this point. I had made it clear to Namecheap that I only wanted the *AUTO-RENEWAL order* cancelled, and they confirmed that they would "reverse the domain RENEWALS with a refund", and more specifically "cancel the RENEWALS from Order #XYZ" (with #XYZ being the AUTO-RENEW order that extended the expiration dates by 12 months). I also made it clear to Namecheap (several times throughout the conversation) that I intended to transfer the domains to another registrar, as you can see in the chat transcript.

This is when things start to go awry...

The problem is that Namecheap didn't "reverse the renewals" as I clearly requested (and they clearly confirmed to me). Instead, they DELETED THE DOMAINS COMPLETELY, AND PLACED THEM INTO REDEMPTION AT THE REGISTRY-LEVEL, making them impossible to transfer.

Upon realizing this mistake they made, my first thought was "Wow, they REALLY f'ed this up", but since it was irrefutable (from the chat records) that this was THEIR mistake, and that I did NOT authorize deletion of the underlying domains, I assumed that they would willingly correct it (and apologize profusely for the inconvenience and downtime).

But oh was I wrong...

Despite telling me how sorry they were, and even acknowledging that this was their mistake, they ultimately decided that I should have to pay them $688 in fees to recover the domains THEY deleted without my authorization.

And it gets even better...

They said that for the troubles they caused me, instead of restoring the domains they deleted, they would issue me a prorated refund of $4.30 for the 1 month remaining on the *original* registration periods (which, by the way, is a small fraction of what Namecheap charges per month for these particular TLDs).

I couldn't believe it, and as I said in the support ticket, it's simply outrageous that they would expect a customer to PAY THEM nearly $700 to fix THEIR MISTAKE (if they have to pay registry fees to reinstate the domains, that's THEIR problem, not mine).

In the meantime, I've been unable to use these domains, since they are in redemption thanks to Namecheap's incompetence and refusal to fix to the problem. They've already caused me substantial time loss, frustration, and domain downtime — now they want to fleece me out of $688 to fix their mistake, and regain access to the domains I paid for (i.e. my property they stole).

I wanted to share this story with NamePros for several reasons:

(1) As a warning to domainers out there to avoid this registrar, since they clearly have no principles or integrity. You will also find that their prices are no longer "cheap" or even competitve with many other registrars.

(2) If there are any Namecheap managers/executives on this site, I would like an explanation of how you consider this to be acceptable practices/behavior by your registrar. So far, I've only been able to "chat" with low-level support staff due to your online-only customer service access (unlike other registrars that offer telephone-based support), so an explanation from someone higher-up the ladder would be appreciated.

(3) My next step is to take legal action against Namecheap over this, since the chat transcript (which I have a copy of in my Gmail account, digitally signed and sent by Namecheap) is irrefutable evidence that they wrongfully deleted my domains. Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to proceed with that? Keep in mind, this is a matter of principle now... I will do whatever it takes to hold Namecheap accountable for this.

Finally, imagine if this had happened to you and some of your valued domains. How would you feel about that?

Here are screenshots of the chat transcript and support ticket:

CHAT TRANSCRIPT
RxplMYL.png

SUPPORT TICKET

(Notice
how the rep who filed this ticket goes from saying "domain RENEWAL cancellation" in the chat, to just "domain cancellation" when he submitted this ticket. How convenient. If I hadn't saved the chat transcript, I have no doubt that Namecheap would have claimed I requested deletion of the domains themselves. They have no shame or integrity, and this is basically proof of that.)

ULN3TwD.png

(end of screenshots)

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing your opinions, advice, and feedback.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
With most registrars Autorenewal can be turned OFF by default.
They also have this switcher here: https://ap.www.namecheap.com/Profile/Billing
I disabled it 11 years ago and never had such adventures.

Understood (and I did that), but that's obviously not the main issue here.

The issue is that they deleted my domains without my authorization, and now want me to pay them nearly $700 to reinstate the domains they put into redemption.

Last edited:
•••
If NC renewed your domains - by default was the only one way to avoid this monthly charge by Registries: to delete them.
This is what I see from your story.

Last edited:
•••
A nightmare indeed. 🤦‍♀️
Kudos for seemingly staying calm and courteous! (y)

Tagging @tamar from NameCheap with hopes of an amicable resolution.

•••
A nightmare indeed. 🤦‍♀️
Kudos for seemingly staying calm and courteous! (y)

Tagging @tamar from NameCheap with hopes of an amicable resolution.

Thanks, I try to be reasonable and composed in these situations. As I explained to Namecheap in the ticket, it's not my intention to besmirch them or damage their reputation. I gave them many opportunities to resolve this problem before going public with this story (as you can see in the ticket), so they only have themselves to blame for this.

•••
From my experience, registrars refund only those domains where Autorenewal was disabled, but due to internal billing error they were renewed.

Your case is absolutely another.
So outcome is another as well.

•••
From my experience, registrars refund only those domains where Autorenewal was disabled, but due to internal billing error they were renewed.

Again, that's not the issue here. I only mentioned it in the post (in the first paragraph) as a background to provide some context into what led to Namecheap deleting the domains without my authorization, which is the main issue here if you read the entire post and the chat/ticket screenshots.

With that said, I do appreciate your replies.

Last edited:
•••
Also most registrars "mysteriously" turn back on the auto-renewal setting to ON for your domains which you've turned OFF.

in situations like this it's "convenient" for them to just blame it on a "glitch" also how can you prove you turned it off in the first place. most don't have a feature that informs you via email automatically that you turned autorenewal off or on.

so if your domains auto-renew even if you turned it off. "oh well! not our fault!"

It's always advisable to never leave your credit or debit card on file.

some sites force you to keep one on file Godaddy.

so always "keep" a card" that's maxed out or one that you've set to at your credit card company to block all charges from the Registrar that forces you to keep a card on file (Godaddy) it's a hassle but the simple fix is simply to contact your credit card company and block charges from Registrar. Easy enough since there is a record of the last charge made to the Registrar in question.

When you really need to pay for something. simply contact cc company to allow charges. The CC company will usually give you the option to allow charges for a company for 24 hours.

BECAREFUL as registrars are sneaky and if you say allow a charge for certain domain renewals but not all. Registrar might slip some in there quickly while the "window" is open for 24-48 hours.

Once renewals are charged the only real way to keep the domains are to swallow that loss. getting a refunds will almost surely mean losing the domain to redemption.

This is nothing new in this industry unfortunately.

•••

If you are not going to help, why not stay out of it completely?

It is not JUST about autorenewal.

If they mentioned anywhere in the chat that if they cancel renewal, the name will get deleted, you'd be right. But they misled him into believing that upon cancellation, he would be able to transfer the names out.

Hence this becomes NC's problem and they should foot the bill

•••
I already replied above, see post #4.

Last edited:
•••
Well, at least we know that they are

monitoring,

monitoring,

and monitoring the situation :)

If I read it correctly from the proof you provided, they made a mistake: you are a client, and you do not need to know that reversing the autorenewal means to put domain names to redemption. Their agent was supposed to inform you about it, prior he made an operation. In addition, you have been clear enough that you might want to transfer your domain names somewhere else.

In my personal opinion, they need to better train their operators, and they should finance their mistake from their own funds, not to ask you as a customer to pay for that.

Thanks for sharing your experience, and hopefully we hear from Namecheap soon on how they will resolve the situation.

Last edited:
•••
If you are not going to help, why not stay out of it completely?

It is not JUST about autorenewal.

If they mentioned anywhere in the chat that if they cancel renewal, the name will get deleted, you'd be right. But they misled him into believing that upon cancellation, he would be able to transfer the names out.

Hence this becomes NC's problem and they should foot the bill

Thanks. I think he's trying to help, but unfortunately he's detracting from the main issue here with his replies that are focusing on the auto-renewal and not the unauthorized deletion of my domains.

I'm glad that you and other VIP members here (e.g. @Grilled and @Brands.International ) are in agreement that this is absolutely Namecheap's obligation to resolve. Frankly, this has already cost me way more than $1000 in time, but as I said in the OP this is a matter of principle now.

Last edited:
•••
Agr

I think Namecheap's mistake was agreeing to refund too soon without checking what needs to be done to refund.

•••
all domains that I think I iwll sell or renew, I renew for long.

I had some issues and couldn't renew a lot of domains in 2018. I dropped good LLLLs, dropped 1 developed site with stable revenue (Some Japanese bought it expired auction for 600 bucks and is running some spam site there. makes me cry)... So I always renew good domains inadvance and others I leave off auto rebews

•••
This is how it works...
Registries bill their registrars for all their operations last month...

In case of Autorenew Grace Period (after Expiration Date)...
The domain is autorenewed by Registry...
Registrar has the only one option - to submit "DELETE" command...
If they don't submit it up to 45 days - the domain remains alive (OK) and will be billed to Registrar next month.

Last edited:
•••
Agr

I think Namecheap's mistake was agreeing to refund too soon without checking what needs to be done to refund.

It's deeply concerning that low-level staff can so easily DELETE domains and immediately place them into REDEMPTION at the registry-level, with no controls or double-checks in place.

What's more concerning is that this happened "silently" - there is no record of these deletions in my Namecheap account, and I did NOT receive an email notification informing me that they were deleted.

What this means is that a low-level staffer at Namecheap could accidentally delete one of your domains, and you likely wouldn't realize it until the domain has gone through redemption and expired, in which case it could very well be owned by someone else. (EDIT: assuming you're not actively using the domain - you would notice otherwise since the DNS records would stop functioning).

I have lost a lot of faith and confidence in Namecheap as a result of this. They have a lot of things to address related to this. I hope they make the most of it by fully analyzing what happened and making changes to prevent it from happening again, and implementing better notifications, etc.

Last edited:
•••
This is how it works...
Registries bill their registrars for all their operations per previous month...

In case of Autorenew Grace Period (after Expiration Date)...
The domain is autorenewed automatically by Registry...
Registrar has the only one option - to submit "DELETE" command...
If they don't submit it up to 45 days - the domain remains alive (OK) and will be billed to Registrar next month.

Man, just stop, and don't sidetrack the discussion. Everyone agrees, that is how autorenew works. The issue is, AGAIN, that the registrar did not warn the client and, at least, when client said that upon cancellation he will transfer, they should have told him it won't be possible.

FYI, I know about renewal cancellation leading to domain deletion because I once requested that from GD and they told me that if they do it, the name would be deleted. So that is the answer this guy should have gotten.

Please, again, don't sidetrack the discussion. You made your point, no need to keep posting the same.

Last edited:
•••
I'm talking with OP, not with you.

OP: I look forward to hearing your opinions, advice, and feedback.

Last edited:
•••
It's deeply concerning that low-level staff can so easily DELETE domains and immediately place them into REDEMPTION at the registry-level, with no controls or double-checks in place.

What's more concerning is that this happened "silently" - there is no record of these deletions in my Namecheap account, and I did NOT receive an email notification informing me that they were deleted.

What this means is that a low-level staffer at Namecheap could accidentally delete one of your domains, and you likely wouldn't realize it until the domain has gone through redemption and expired, in which case it could very well be owned by someone else.

I have lost a lot of faith and confidence in Namecheap as a result of this. They have a lot of things to address related to this. I hope they make the most of it by fully analyzing what happened and making changes to prevent it from happening again, and implementing better notifications, etc.
Totally Agree. I am also deeply concerned with that.
I need to transfer out my premium domains.
I keep a lot of premium quads in namecheap.
Namecheap has been my default registrar for more than years since I transferred out everything from godaddy.

I also had some other recent developments with them

•••
I'm talking with OP, not with you.

OP:
I look forward to hearing your opinions, advice, and feedback.

Jurgen, I do appreciate your replies related to a secondary issue of the post. As @Recons.Com mentioned, we all agree with the point you have made about auto-renew, so let's please focus on the main issue which was Namecheap deleting these domains without authorization. Thanks

•••
Totally Agree. I am also deeply concerned with that.
I need to transfer out my premium domains.
I keep a lot of premium quads in namecheap.
Namecheap has been my default registrar for more than years since I transferred out everything from godaddy.

I also had some other recent developments with them

I recently decided to use Namecheap *only* for my premium domains (and Porkbun, a cheaper registrar, for the less important ones), but after this I will likely switch back to GoDaddy for my valuable domains. Say what you will about GD and their prices, but they do protect their domains!

•••
GD doesn't protect anything.
Just 1 abuse report - and your domain will be blocked there.

•••
Regarding Porkbun...
It is former team of Name.com - they went after its sale.

•••
Let's invite Namecheap Staff @tamar to clarify and give best solution

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back