Dynadot

Wow, it didn't take Namecheap long to reverse their position after I posted about it on NamePros.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ Baldwin

Established Member
Impact
For the past 3 days, I've been in a heated dispute with Namecheap over 6 domains that they deleted without my authorization, as described in this thread I posted a few hours ago: https://www.namepros.com/threads/na...ut-you-can-recover-them-for-just-688.1206849/

For 3 days, Namecheap was adamant in their refusal to pay the registry-level redemption-reinstatement fees to restore the domains THEY mistakenly deleted and placed into REDEMPTION without my authorization. They wanted me to pay them $688 to fix THEIR mistake.

However, within 3 hours of posting the story here on NamePros, I received an update from a Namecheap manager saying:

Dear [redacted], Thank you for your patience. We are sorry that such a confusing situation occurred. We are always doing our best to [...] provide the highest level of support. We are glad to let you know that we have restored the affected domains and added them back to your Namecheap account.

A wise move on their part, because I would not have let it go. I would have taken legal action if necessary to hold them accountable for their egregious and shameful misconduct.

And as I noted in the original thread, it's deeply concerning that low-level staff at Namecheap can so easily DELETE domains and immediately place them into REDEMPTION at the registry-level, with no controls or double-checks in place.

And what's even more concerning is that this happened "silently" - there was no record of the deletions in my Namecheap account, I didn't even receive an email notification informing me that they were deleted. What this means is that a low-level staffer at Namecheap could accidentally delete one of your domains, and you likely wouldn't realize it until the domain has gone through the redemption period and expired (assuming you're not actively using the domain, in that case you would notice the DNS records no longer functioning).

In the end, it's unfortunate that it required so much of my time and energy to get Namecheap to finally do the right thing. And it's alarming how unwilling they are to correct their own mistakes that adversely impact a customer.

Namecheap: If you're listening, you have a lot of things to address related to this incident. I hope you make the most of it by fully analyzing what happened and making changes to prevent it from happening again.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back