IT.COM

opinion Name some domains you think actually look BETTER as a gTLD than a dot com

NameSilo
Watch

Hootsifer

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
.com is superfluous

Last edited:
•••
•••
.com is superfluous

at least since .cc and .co came out.. the market didn't care however.

cocaco.la < cocacola.com

why? you don't want to split up your brand, your brand is BRAND not BRdotAND with a dot in the middle. you want consistency.

Last edited:
•••
In my opinion

LINKED.INDUSTRIES
linked.industries

looks / sounds / corellates / better than

LINKED.COM
linked.com

although it's even longer.

•••
S.TOP
s.top

is the 'top version' of

S.COM
s.com

Of course the same applies to the HIGHEST DOMAIN of 'S':

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.TOP
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.top

is the 'top version' of

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.COM
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.com

Last edited:
•••
Schilling knows what's up - and strategically positioned himself accordingly. As do everyone else who isn't a .commie
The latest news was that he is struggling with his TLDs and he had to jack up the price dramatically.
http://domainincite.com/21603-schilling-big-price-increases-needed-to-keep-new-gtlds-alive
Apparently you just woke up from a 10-year hibernation period, so you naturally have a lot to catch on :)

Corporations like G,AMZN,FB et. al. don't collectively spend hundreds of millions of dollars on an armada of .gTLDs keyword or branded for kicks.
And yet... https://www.namepros.com/threads/list-of-retired-new-extensions.991424/
How come so many corpTLDs are still not being used ?

Expect .com values to keep dropping
Apparently Schilling does not agree with that, he keeps bidding on .com domains.

•••
The latest news was that he is struggling with his TLDs and he had to jack up the price dramatically.

Imho Frank Schilling's tlds are not the best choice available. Indeed, how many people will want .blackfriday? Does "keyword+blackfriday" make much sense? I like ntlds but I have only one domain in his tlds. Maybe should he bid on strings like .media, .solutions etc, he would have been in much better position now. Moreover, when trying to get the most out of end users, he ignored domainer channel by reserving everything meaningful or setting up crazy prices for those available. That said, this is clearly not the fail of ntlds as whole.

And yet... https://www.namepros.com/threads/list-of-retired-new-extensions.991424/
How come so many corpTLDs are still not being used ?

I bet lots of super premium the very best .com domains owned by them are not being used either :)

BTW,

"India’s biggest bank switches to dot-brand" - link

" As of April 30, 2016, approximately 45 percent of the banks and savings associations in the United States had completed registrations for the dot-bank TLD. " - link

Last edited:
•••
domain.for.sale > domainforsale.com

Don't take my word for it, type it in and feel the difference

•••
Apparently you just woke up from a 10-year hibernation period, so you naturally have a lot to catch on :)

Apparently so did Rick

•••
domain.for.sale > domainforsale.com

Don't take my word for it, type it in and feel the difference
The dumbest domain ever: del.icio.us

•••
•••
•••
those are domain hacks.... not gTLDs .keyword

•••
Loosing money is renewing domains and not selling enough domains to cover renewals.
If after 3 years you have sold nothing then this is not investing. It is wishful thinking.
Of course I am talking about a substantial amount of domains.

I just wonder..how can one loose money in new gTLDs? I do not really get it..

To explain my question: when I register a good name like, lets say, virtual.fund, I feel it has value, but I also know that it might take few years to sell it. One reason is that new gTLDs are very new, so there is still lack of end user awareness, but we also know it is improving and more and more end user are actually using new gTLD names..it is easy to follow it, as one can use Alexa 1 mil to see exactly how many developed sites are there for each extension, so we can see the progress. If site is nicely developed and is ranking in Alexa 1 mil, we can say that end user uses it, I suppose. So we see a progress here, some gTLDs are doing fantastic (like .online, for example), some are progressing slowly, some are purely pathetic. But end users are developing new sites on gTLDs everyday.

So how can one loose money in new gTLDs? By loosing money, you mean that you have registered some gTLD names, and then not renewed them? As this can be the only explanation. Imo, if you registered great names, and keep it after 1 -2 years of holding, this certainly can not be named "loosing money" .. as even for some great .coms, it took lot of years to sell them..so why to give up on new gTLDs so soon? :)

•••
Loosing money is renewing domains and not selling enough domains to cover renewals.
If after 3 years you have sold nothing then this is not investing. It is wishful thinking.
Of course I am talking about a substantial amount of domains.
How many new gtlds you have sold in 2017?

•••
•••
•••
•••
BTW,

"India’s biggest bank switches to dot-brand" - link
Oh thanks for that, definite proof that .com and .in are dead. But the online banking is still taking place on www.onlinesbi.com...
It's actually the same thing with Barclays, home.barclays is the global portal that nobody visits on a daily basis: the online banking is still taking place at barclays.co.uk (or barclays.cctld in the other countries where they have branches). For consumers there isn't noticeable change in their surfing habits.

" As of April 30, 2016, approximately 45 percent of the banks and savings associations in the United States had completed registrations for the dot-bank TLD. " - link
Defensive registrations. Very few of those registrations are being used for something else than redirects. Let alone being used as primary domains. Find out for yourself.

•••
This is a mischaracterization of the status of .COM domain investing in 2017. Do you actually invest in .COM in 2017 and speak from experience, or is this something you just assume as a ngtld investor?
Yes I do. Dot-com is the "blue chip" in domains, it only makes sense to have your portfolio backed by them.
All-in.Bet with gTLD's? Would not recommed it.

•••
This .com versus .nTLD argument has and is played out ad nauseam here on NP. To say dot com is dead is foolish! To say ALL new TLD's are pigeon shit is also foolish. There are now over 1,000 TLD's! To say only one will be successful is super foolish. Adaptation takes time and the best new TLD's are in their infancy.
Comparing dot com to dot shop is like saying a 32 year old man is a much better athlete than a 6 month old baby. Well of course he is! The big problem I think you see playing out now is "Market Share"! Dot com's are losing resale market share to other TLD's simply because of the amount of new and sensible choices in both selection and pricing. End users, especially new and young entrepreneurs are confident and happy to save some startup money by branding on a new TLD. There are too many choices now for end users and it's putting pressure on dot com resale pricing. It's economics 101!

Last edited:
•••
Oh thanks for that, definite proof that .com and .in are dead.

Who said .com and .in are dead???

But the online banking is still taking place on www.onlinesbi.com...

It is because they have not migrated yet. They said they will migrate all their web properties to .sbi

It's actually the same thing with Barclays, home.barclays is the global portal that nobody visits on a daily basis: the online banking is still taking place at barclays.co.uk (or barclays.cctld in the other countries where they have branches). For consumers there isn't noticeable change in their surfing habits.

It is not the same.

"However, SBI said “all of the bank’s internet presence… shall soon be migrated to the .sbi gTLD” - link

Did Barclays announce they will fully migrate to .barclays?

Defensive registrations. Very few of those registrations are being used for something else than redirects. Let alone being used as primary domains. Find out for yourself.

300 banks, or 4 percent of America’s 6,800 financial firms, are using dot-bank domain names - an 18 percent uptick since Jan. 1. - link

“More and more banks are making the switch, but we’re watching those numbers really closely to see if we’re reaching a tipping point". - link

Not many in absolute numbers, but nice trend imho.

Last edited:
•••
•••
So how can one loose money in new gTLDs? By loosing money, you mean that you have registered some gTLD names, and then not renewed them? As this can be the only explanation. Imo, if you registered great names, and keep it after 1 -2 years of holding, this certainly can not be named "loosing money" .. as even for some great .coms, it took lot of years to sell them..so why to give up on new gTLDs so soon?

do the domains have a reseller value? if no and they are just worth the renewal fees you are gambling not investing. there is nothing wrong with gambling but it often leads to total loss of invested capital. If you are prepared to lose everything then that's OK.

the registries must love you because you own a thousand domains that they thought not to be worth more than regfee and pay them tens of thousands just for holding them.

it could be many years before a good aftermarket develops if it ever happens.

you might end up paying 100k in renewals before you can unload them if that ever were to happen.

for 100k one could get a stellar .com that will not lose much value or even increase in value over the years and eventually you might find a wealthy buyer to unload it.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back