Domain Empire

opinion Name some domains you think actually look BETTER as a gTLD than a dot com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Hootsifer

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
it's hard to sell new gs
It is not hard mate. Without going too much into my personal financial details: in 2016 I sold some names in a way that allows me to renew my WHOLE portfolio which is officially for sale (around 600 names) until roughly 2019, purely from money from these sales. So basically, when I sell some more names until 2019, all is my profit. This way I can easily carry my names to future, where I speculate that they value will grow rapidly.
How is that possible:
a) register good names, but do no apply blindly logic which was valid for .com. The names must make perfect and clear sense, no brandables, no playful names, no keyword1keyword2..keywordn.TLD names - just good names at this early stage.
b) keep your renewals in check (only standard renewals, never premiums - premiums will kill all your joy in this game - no matter what someone tells you (mainly marketing people from registries), there are lot of category killer names registered for standard renewals - various registries made tons of mistakes in first 2 years in pricing when they were no so confident yet, or they did not have premium pricing prepared/applied). Do not buy names for renewals like 500-3000/year, no matter how cool they are - if you do, you will start hating new gTLDs after your first year. Instead, try to buy great names with standard renewals attached to them from people. who were lucky to register them, but who do not have patience/they prefer quick flip, and pay them fair wholesale prices.
c) no premium pricing
d) no premium pricing
x) no premium pricing (hope it is clear now)
y) try to group your names logically and per gTLD, do not register chaotically - this way you can also utilize different promotions in transfers, and easily renew larger groups of your names when such promotions are available, by bulk transferring to different registrar. If you do not group your names logically and by TLD, it is basically impossible task to do, and you will not be able to effectively use this option - it is huge difference, if you pay standard renewal USD 30 for a name, or when you use transfer promo and extend lets say your 200 names for USD 3/each - that feels much better :)
z) stop blaming bad registrars, bad registries, bad ICANN, and everybody else and blame only yourself if you do any stupid thing (because we are bound to do lot of stupidities, when all is new and untested).

•••
Do not buy names for renewals like 500-3000/year, no matter how cool they are - if you do, you will start hating new gTLDs after your first year.

Oh, I know one ntld which renewal is priced around $3,000. I would be happy to own it, but it has gone, forever :unsure:

•••
do the domains have a reseller value? if no and they are just worth the renewal fees you are gambling not investing. there is nothing wrong with gambling but it often leads to total loss of invested capital. If you are prepared to lose everything then that's OK.

the registries must love you because you own a thousand domains that they thought not to be worth more than regfee and pay them tens of thousands just for holding them.

it could be many years before a good aftermarket develops if it ever happens.

you might end up paying 100k in renewals before you can unload them if that ever were to happen.

for 100k one could get a stellar .com that will not lose much value or even increase in value over the years and eventually you might find a wealthy buyer to unload it.
I am explaining that in post above. It is really not difficult to hold the portfolio, if you know where to register, how to transfer, where to transfer, etc - of course, one need to study this in detail for each gTLD - but this is what all people investing in gTLDs should do in the first place, anyway..

•••
•••
No he doesn't.

Hence his desperate 'return' from 'retirement' tweeting and posting

Welcome to the evolution of domaining. Survival of the fittest, not the loudest.

Schilling knows what's up - and strategically positioned himself accordingly. As do everyone else who isn't a .commie

Corporations like G,AMZN,FB et. al. don't collectively spend hundreds of millions of dollars on an armada of .gTLDs keyword or branded for kicks.

I'm seeing gTLDs everywhere because I don't surf in the .commie ghetto

Expect .com values to keep dropping YoY because Economics 101

.com is dead, long live the .gTLDs (Ask the french the origin of this phrase)

"Schilling knows what's up"

".com is dead,"

@Rhythm8

You do realize he buys .coms all day long on the aftermarket? Sells the new gtlds to newbies, takes the money and buys .coms. 10 year old account, just started posting today?

Last edited:
•••
Oh goody it's the weekly ngtld debate where we all get to regurgitate exactly what we said last week.

•••
AntiFreeze.Shop better than antifreezeshop.com
Yet I own both :)

•••
You do realize he buys .coms all day long on the aftermarket? Sells the new gtlds to newbies, takes the money and buys .coms.

that is how the pros do it.

•••
Some of the true generics can look good, but at this point it is a stretch to think any of them look better than .com

Example (not any of my domains)
MiamiBeach.com
MiamiBeach.club
MiamiBeachClub.com

The .club only looks better when you focus on price or availability. If all factors were equal both .com's would be taken first. The .club provides an alternative or a starting point. The .com is a category killer offering instant cred and authority.

If you are marketing digitally on social networks to a particular demo like millenials you may consider
.xyz a successful option for a sales campaign if you plan to build out a site that focuses on that demo. You would still want a .com or ccTLD for your main site but could leverage the alternative ext. to enhance your marketing efforts.

•••
https://chrisgimmer.com/snappa-com-purchase/

Look at the enduser customer perspective on .com, previously had snappa .io, before upgrading for $40,000. Read the reasons why he did so, and compare them to Rick's comments.

Domainnamewire interviewed the young owner of Snappa.

•••
[
It is not hard mate. Without going too much into my personal financial details: in 2016 I sold some names in a way that allows me to renew my WHOLE portfolio which is officially for sale (around 600 names) until roughly 2019, purely from money from these sales. So basically, when I sell some more names until 2019, all is my profit. This way I can easily carry my names to future, where I speculate that they value will grow rapidly.
How is that possible:
a) register good names, but do no apply blindly logic which was valid for .com. The names must make perfect and clear sense, no brandables, no playful names, no keyword1keyword2..keywordn.TLD names - just good names at this early stage.
b) keep your renewals in check (only standard renewals, never premiums - premiums will kill all your joy in this game - no matter what someone tells you (mainly marketing people from registries), there are lot of category killer names registered for standard renewals - various registries made tons of mistakes in first 2 years in pricing when they were no so confident yet, or they did not have premium pricing prepared/applied). Do not buy names for renewals like 500-3000/year, no matter how cool they are - if you do, you will start hating new gTLDs after your first year. Instead, try to buy great names with standard renewals attached to them from people. who were lucky to register them, but who do not have patience/they prefer quick flip, and pay them fair wholesale prices.
c) no premium pricing
d) no premium pricing
x) no premium pricing (hope it is clear now)
y) try to group your names logically and per gTLD, do not register chaotically - this way you can also utilize different promotions in transfers, and easily renew larger groups of your names when such promotions are available, by bulk transferring to different registrar. If you do not group your names logically and by TLD, it is basically impossible task to do, and you will not be able to effectively use this option - it is huge difference, if you pay standard renewal USD 30 for a name, or when you use transfer promo and extend lets say your 200 names for USD 3/each - that feels much better :)
z) stop blaming bad registrars, bad registries, bad ICANN, and everybody else and blame only yourself if you do any stupid thing (because we are bound to do lot of stupidities, when all is new and untested).
The truth of the matter is it is absolutely HARD TO SELL NEW G's AT THIS TIME......After 3 years into this, I have contacted dozens and dozens of end users with some of the best New G's available and not one end user has been interested...To further my point look at the reported sales, or lack of....Sure there has been some sales unreported and such, but the majority of the sales are for very low amounts...I like the look of some New G's, I feel they should have value, but in reality the sales are very weak and disappointing....After 3 years we should see some sort of growth, unfortunately the trend is a downward spiral and not an upward swing...Best of luck to all!

•••
Last edited:
•••
[

The truth of the matter is it is absolutely HARD TO SELL NEW G's AT THIS TIME......After 3 years into this, I have contacted dozens and dozens of end users with some of the best New G's available and not one end user has been interested...To further my point look at the reported sales, or lack of....Sure there has been some sales unreported and such, but the majority of the sales are for very low amounts...I like the look of some New G's, I feel they should have value, but in reality the sales are very weak and disappointing....After 3 years we should see some sort of growth, unfortunately the trend is a downward spiral and not an upward swing...Best of luck to all!
I am truly sorry that you had this experience..as I wish best of luck to all of new gTLD investors (and also to .com investors, for that matter, lol)
On the other hand, and I mean it in a good way - where are your domains? If any person who is interested in new gTLDs would like to check your domains, maybe buy some of them, how can they do it? There is no link to your marketplace in your signature, no link to facebook or twitter or any other sale channel = no way for anyone to discover what you offer. I went to internet.domains (which is btw absolutely amazing name!) - I wanted to check what do you sell, but it is a site where one can register names (if understood correctly).

Seems like lot of members saying how difficult is to sell, but they do not have marketplace set up, and to make it even worse, they operate under WHO IS privacy...so they probably assume that everyone will go to SEDO or Flippa or wherevener they have listed them..true in many cases, but lot of lost sales this way. People who are not domainers - they often do not know that Flippa or Sedo even exists...
Just sayin.

•••
I am truly sorry that you had this experience..as I wish best of luck to all of new gTLD investors (and also to .com investors, for that matter, lol)
On the other hand, and I mean it in a good way - where are your domains? If any person who is interested in new gTLDs would like to check your domains, maybe buy some of them, how can they do it? There is no link to your marketplace in your signature, no link to facebook or twitter or any other sale channel = no way for anyone to discover what you offer. I went to internet.domains (which is btw absolutely amazing name!) - I wanted to check what do you sell, but it is a site where one can register names (if understood correctly).

Seems like lot of members saying how difficult is to sell, but they do not have marketplace set up, and to make it even worse, they operate under WHO IS privacy...so they probably assume that everyone will go to SEDO or Flippa or wherevener they have listed them..true in many cases, but lot of lost sales this way. People who are not domainers - they often do not know that Flippa or Sedo even exists...
Just sayin.
I have listed many on marketplaces over the last three years....I believe you may have missed my point....I have gotten some of these New G's in front of multiple end users. Regardless of being on a marketplace I have spoken to end users that could use the domains. For example, I was in extensive talks with the largest drone company regarding Drone(dot)Technology, I got the same replies with many other domains and companies...."After extensive thought we have decided not to move forward"............I am with you on the New G's, but in all REALITY they are not selling..... One last point is with super premium domains listing them on a marketplace can take away some negotiating power........Meanwhile, I sold a dot com last week...:xf.grin:

•••
[

The truth of the matter is it is absolutely HARD TO SELL NEW G's AT THIS TIME......After 3 years into this, I have contacted dozens and dozens of end users with some of the best New G's available and not one end user has been interested...To further my point look at the reported sales, or lack of....Sure there has been some sales unreported and such, but the majority of the sales are for very low amounts...I like the look of some New G's, I feel they should have value, but in reality the sales are very weak and disappointing....After 3 years we should see some sort of growth, unfortunately the trend is a downward spiral!

Sorry to hear that. The worse part is your opportunity loss, and of your time. Believe me we all lose money, we all bet on the wrong horse, there are plenty of useless dot com's as you know. I have lost money in many various venture/spectulations etc. Bought Cisco at $8. Rode it up to its peak and all the way down in 08'. Marketing to gain wide acceptance and public perception is expensive. The new Tld's remind me of the risk of buying penny stocks.

•••
Asknow.com
think Asknow.info is better

Last edited:
•••
•••
I have listed many on marketplaces over the last three years....I believe you may have missed my point....I have gotten some of these New G's in front of multiple end users. Regardless of being on a marketplace I have spoken to end users that could use the domains. For example, I was in extensive talks with the largest drone company regarding Drone(dot)Technology, I got the same replies with many other domains and companies...."After extensive thought we have decided not to move forward"............I am with you on the New G's, but in all REALITY they are not selling..... One last point is with super premium domains listing them on a marketplace can take away some negotiating power........Meanwhile, I sold a dot com last week...:xf.grin:
Well, selling .com is also ok mate..money are money, no matter what source they come from :) :)

•••
money are money, no matter what source they come from :) :)

No-No. All monies are equal, but monies received for .coms are more equal than others :)

•••
The ngtlds aquired already a significant share of market, which is continuously expanding, driven by end users. We can't influence it by talking here.

•••
Appending a .com is like willingly purchasing an expensive ugly deformity to glue to your face

•••
Appending a .com is like willingly purchasing an expensive ugly deformity to glue to your face

problem is that billions of people don't agree with you.

another thing: how do you think should the following companies brand?

Apple
Disney
Google
Twitter
Pinterest
Nike
Samsung
Amazon

we all can agree that appending .com would work pretty well but what about the alternatives?
Are they better? Are they even feasible?

Apple.computers? Home.Apple? com.apple? or Apple.com?
Disney.kids? Disney.media? Disney.entertaiment? or Disney.com?
Search.google? G.Google? Home.google? or Google.com?
Twitter.chat? Twitter.social? tweet.twitter? or Twitter.com?
Pinterest.online? Pinterest.share? Pinterest.pics? or Pinterest.com
Nike.shoes? Nike.fashion? Nike.global? Or Nike.com?
Samsung.electronics? Home.samsung or Samsung.com?
Shop.amazon? Amazon.shop? A.amazon? Amazon.books?

In almost all cases the new TLD are worse options, let's be realistic. Usually they are also longer and even more so if you have to add www. to make people understand that they are seeing an URL.

So in the real world this would look like www.apple.computers or www.home.apple vs. apple.com.

www.disney.entertainment vs disney.com

www.pinterest.social vs pinterest.com

Are we improving or worsening?

In addition you would have massive confusion since everyone would brand in a different way making it way harder to remember what the URL is.

It is very easy to remember Pinterest, Apple and Disney but again what was the extension they used?

If you think the new TLDs would be a solution instead of a problem you are dreaming.

Last edited:
•••
trillions of people and aliens agree with me

•••
•••
All the real domain hacks look better.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back