IT.COM

.NAME conversation

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
So, we have a domain.name now....
Is there any business potential with this name?
What kind of names should people be seeking and what kind of timeframe do you think people will need to hold on to them?

I found these... and DID NOT REGISTER... so feel free.. just send me a few grand if you hit on one!! hahaha

LEFTOVER.NAME
THINKTANK.NAME
EONLINE.NAME

I don't know... just thinking outloud I guess....

Anyone.... Anyone.....

Shawn
---------------
It's All In The (dot)Name

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't care much for this extension, but have a .name domain for my family name.

1and1.com has a special promotion: .name for $2.99.

EagleWD said:
So, we have a domain.name now....
Is there any business potential with this name?
What kind of names should people be seeking and what kind of timeframe do you think people will need to hold on to them?

I found these... and DID NOT REGISTER... so feel free.. just send me a few grand if you hit on one!! hahaha

LEFTOVER.NAME
THINKTANK.NAME
EONLINE.NAME

I don't know... just thinking outloud I guess....

Anyone.... Anyone.....

Shawn
---------------
It's All In The (dot)Name

•••
Here are some others that are available:

MARKETDOMAIN.NAME
INFODOMAIN.NAME
PRODOMAIN.NAME
TRAFFICDOMAIN.NAME
DELETEDDOMAIN.NAME
RESELLDOMAIN.NAME
CHOOSINGADOMAIN.NAME
SELLINGADOMAIN.NAME
BUYINGADOMAIN.NAME
DOTCOMDOMAIN.NAME
BUYINGDOMAIN.NAME
SELLINGDOMAIN.NAME
CHOOSEDOMAIN.NAME
CHATDOMAIN.NAME

Any potential?

No applause.. just send money!

Last edited:
•••
I tend to agree with the guys above, I think the extension sucks and it will never amount to anything other than a status symbol for some people that like handing out business cards, so they can point out the domain for the personal web pages

•••
I love .name -- it has a long way to go, but it's off to a relatively promising start. It beats .biz anyday! ;)

•••
The bottom line is "getting the ext known".
Everyone "assumes" .com and a lot of people understand the concept behind .net and .org

I think at some point the .name ext may be a useful thing... but how many years is that going to take??

It needs to be branded... with lots of Television Commercial... Radio Airplay and Newsprint advertising....

Something like... "It's Not In The .COM... it's in the .NAME"

I bought iSell.name and mailorder.name... i guess if someone really wants a specific url... .name may be the only option they have left...

Well... my 2 cents....

Shawn
-----------------------------------
Friday's are good days for leaving work early!

•••
D.
I personally like the ones that sound like complete thoughts...

BuyingDomain.name
or maybe BuyingADomain.name

It seems to me the bottom line is how it is marketed...

I am new here... but it would make sense that if you were going to pay for like... googleads.... and key off domain names or something like that...

When that list of sponsers on the right comes up... I always look at what the url is... if it is some cheezy kind of name... I don't click it... ya know what I mean... but if it was somethink like .... affordabledomain.name (or something) I would be more apt to click on it... it sounds professional..

Shawn
-------------------------
What the hell do I know???

•••
I bought several .NAMEs at their release. They are registered for 2 years so I hope by early 2006 there is some action with this extension.

•••
I've collected some keyword .name :p like

Broker.name, Doctors.name, Schools.name...

I think they're good for online catalog, but ICANN told me there will be .cat soon? :(

Anyway, I love .name

Last edited:
•••
DOT CAT??? .cat
for Catalog?

I want to put the bid in for

PUSSY.cat

:) hahahaha...

Shawn
--------------------------------------
It aint about the steak... it's about the Sizzle!

•••
Try to acquire .names that fit the extension, one-word generic keywords if possible. A lot of the good ones are taken now, but if you're buying now is the best time, as domain prices in the extension are still quite reasonable at the reseller level.

•••
I personally think this is the worst extension ever made. I’ll take the three letter dot biz any day over the four letter dot name. If you guys see potential in this than make an offer on my only dot name: BMX.NAME

•••
.name is cool~!

i own several .name too, .name may sounds silly. But try to get keywords that is related to .name, it's nice.

and my advice for those who are holding .name in hand, stop complaining about it's reselling prices. Develop it and .name will eventually become more and more popular.
It's a gTLD anyway. Cheers~!

I am developing mine too @ http://Primary.Name
Good Luck

•••
What's the cheapest (reliable) .name registrar these days?

•••
.name is intended for 'personal use' something like www.john.doe.name or [email protected] or [email protected]. Some registrars are offering subdomains right away, when you register.

Just imagine telling someone your email over the phone, or that email written on a business card. It will sound and look at least strange.

But it is really good with keywords that have some meaning when you append NAME to them, and unfortunately this was not initial idea behind the extention and it is not marketed according to this. So, it is a real question when will .name become popular.

I was tempted to register some, bud skipped it for now, particularly because of the new extensions that should be available soon.

•••
What new domain name ext are coming out and when??

Anybody "preregistering?"

Shawn

•••
Some new ones in the works:

.eu - Europe
.mobi - mobile/wap applications
.cat - catalog
.asia - Asia

•••
At this point, I'm big on .info and will pick up good .biz or .us names. I think I'd even take a .ws over .name for the most part. I do have two dot-names to redirect to my domains website:

adopt.name
adoptable.name

Neither are really giving me much if any traffic.

If you want to develop one, I'd say it may be just okay. For resale, I think they are a really bad investment compare to the other alternatives.

•••
Hi!

.names are cool. They are useful I guess, for names. Family websites or personal sites are well-suited for a .name.

Take care!

:)

The bottom line? It is on how you market it to your target audience.

•••
I just think if someone would market the concept on US Television, it could really pick up... I would use the slogan... "It's All In The Name" "whatever.name" or "It's all about the name" "whatever.name" or "It's not about the dot com... it's about the dot name" "whatever.name"

Or maybe I have smoked to many rocks of crack today??? hahaha Just kidding...

Shawn

•••
I dunno.. I think the domain keyword has to be consistent with the name concept of complete a thought concerning names or the domains aren't likely to get type-ins or any other kind of recognition.

you'd think with genealogy being as popular as it is, .name would be popular in that respect.

•••
yeah... with anything except com you are going to have to rely on the search engines... don't you thinK???

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back