Dynadot

advice My domain expired and sold for $15000 in GoDaddy auctions.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

hmk

Established Member
Impact
My domain expired and sold for $15000 in godady auctions.
I have question
1. What right registrar have to sell my expired domain in auction and take all money. (inatead of dropping name from registry or give money to original owner)

As this is not fair and registrar is getting big money for free.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It may sound unfair, but it's not.

1. What right registrar have to sell my expired domain in auction
Once your domain is expired, then it's no more "your domain".
You had 30 extra days to renew your domain after its expiration date. But you didn't.
After this period, the registrar then takes advantage of its own auctions platform, and auctions the domain.

Again, it may seem unfair. You registered the domain, it was yours during x years. But then you let it expire, and at that point, the domain was no more yours and the auction house pocketed $15,000 bucks for it.

Usually Godaddy Auctions sells domains for that amount when they have a high value (over $5,000-$10,000) in their own "Appraisal tool".
Sometimes are shitty domains, but some domainers just have to see the its GD appraisal value, to bid on the domain as if there were no tomorrow.

Next time, before letting a domain expire... check before its value at GD appraisal tool. If the value is more than $5,000 USD, renew it for god's sake. You will thank me later. :xf.grin: :xf.cool: (y)

Last edited:
•••
I have question
1. What right registrar have to sell my expired domain in auction and take all money. (inatead of dropping name from registry or give money to original owner)

You only own a domain name as long as you keep paying for it. As soon as you stop, it's no longer yours. It's like a never ending lease for a car or a house. Would you be pissed if they took away and sold your leased car after you stopped paying for it?

•••
It may sound unfair, but it's not.

Once your domain is expired, then it's no more "your domain".
You had 30 extra days to renew your domain after its expiration date. But you didn't.
After this period, the registrar then takes advantage of its own auctions platform, and auctions the domain.

Again, it may seem unfair. You registered the domain, it was yours during x years. But then you let it expire, and at that point, the domain was no more yours and the auction house pocketed $15,000 bucks for it.

Usually Godaddy Auctions sells domains for that amount when they have a high value (over $5,000-$10,000) in their own "Appraisal tool".
Sometimes are shitty domains, but some domainers just have to see the its GD appraisal value, to bid on the domain as if there were no tomorrow.

Next time, before letting a domain expire... check before its value at GD appraisal tool. If the value is more than $5,000 USD, renew it for god's sake. You will thank me later. :xf.grin: :xf.cool: (y)
Yes, its totally unfair. As registrar didn't own domain but gets big money for free.

Since rigistrar didn't own domain, so it should be dropped from registry.

Last edited:
•••
It sounds like you should be upset with yourself and not anyone else. Why the h*ll didn't you renew it?

•••
$15,000!

What a kick to the gonads!

•••
What was the name of the domain? 15k is ok amount for a domain

•••
I have question

Wow. I would be sick if this happened to me, but it is nothing anyone can do about it. I have seen it happen to people plenty of times.

•••
What is the domain name, is it something interesting?

•••
You snooze you lose. Why did you not renew?

•••
Childish reaction, OP if not a troll thread.

•••
Reads to me that the OP kept an eye on it after expiry, didn't want to pay the recovery fee but was mistakenly believing he could just pick it up again if he wished. I would guess it was a recent auction, so probably not too hard to identify at the exact figure mentioned

•••
Why is it so hard for someone to renew the domain... I mean they get multiple emails before it expires Plus emails and a fee for later renewal after expiration... like come on man.

Share the domain

Last edited:
•••
I bought the name. You can buy it back for $17,000

•••
How much did you have it listed for before it expired? Just curious

•••
•••
Is it just me or do investors just not like buying from other investors?

Like here, they don't mind paying $15k to godaddy but refuse to pay $10k for the exact same thing if an investor owns it.

•••
•••

Like here, they don't mind paying $15k to godaddy but refuse to pay $10k for the exact same thing if an investor owns it.
It's easier to find auctions with bids on them, not to mention active bidding makes people more involved. If you see a domain listed for $10,000 with zero bids on it chances are you're just going to gloss over it even if it's undervalued by 50%.

Also, expired domain auctions tend to be a but more popular because there you can find the gems that senile old people forgot to renew...or at leas that's the idea.

•••

I think that's the wrong interpretation. It's as MKA has stated, that and exposure. The domain is hardly likely to come to anyones attention as a sales listing, unless you were looking for that specific term, whereas the drop-lists and subsequent auctions are regularly viewed by thousands of domainers looking for the best of the drops. By then it's too late to buy except by auction

Last edited:
•••
Ouch. I’m sorry. Do you mind sharing the domain name?

•••
How can someone be on nP for as long as all of high school and still post something like this?

I'm sure you've bought from GD auctions yourself, no?

Was paying $9 to transfer out too much for you? Or?

•••
It was expired but saw it was sold on GD. Good observation skill you have! :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
You only own a domain as long as you keep paying for it every year. Just because you registered it doesn't mean you own it forever.

Yeah. Could be a troll thread. A simple google search can educate the OP how domains names registration and renewals work.

•••
I’d suggest not paying any attention to prices at Godaddy auctions. What you see as being the end result, isn’t always the final sales price.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back