IT.COM

advice My domain expired and sold for $15000 in GoDaddy auctions.

NameSilo
Watch

hmk

Established Member
Impact
My domain expired and sold for $15000 in godady auctions.
I have question
1. What right registrar have to sell my expired domain in auction and take all money. (inatead of dropping name from registry or give money to original owner)

As this is not fair and registrar is getting big money for free.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, there's a high chance they were fake bids.

Recently, my domain expired (that I subsequently renewed) and with 6 days left it shot up to over $8,000 with fake bids so someone could get it for $65. I renewed it soon after so it cancelled the auction, but shows you what happens sometimes.

1701490313278.png

•••
Well, if it makes you feel any better, there's a high chance they were fake bids.

Recently, my domain expired (that I subsequently renewed) and with 6 days left it shot up to over $8,000 with fake bids so someone could get it for $65. I renewed it soon after so it cancelled the auction, but shows you what happens sometimes.

Show attachment 249816
How can he be allowed to do that ?
You mean , he goes for 8170$ and then he doesn’t pay the domain so it goes to the one who offered 65$ ?
( the same one )
That’s how godaddy runs auctions !?

Last edited:
•••
I also experienced this godaddy.

Few years before i saw 1 domain having highest bid of around $150.
I started bidding on this domain and liiast fe minutes bidding raised to $22000 (bidding was raised 3 bidders)
My highest bid was around $21000 and was third highest bid. After few days i received email from godaddy that Congratulations you can get domain by making payment as other 2 top bidders didnt pay.

That was quite suspicious and looked liked godady bots raised bidding price to 22k

•••
Sent you a PM. GoDaddy just took back a name I won at auction 3-5 weeks ago… super weird situation (I guess?) and it was a very good domain name (at or above the price you stated).

No explanation given, just taken away.
Hi,
Did you find out what happened?

•••
Hi,
Did you find out what happened?
Nope! Messaged GoDaddy on here and didn't receive a response back. I was told it is what it is through email and there's nothing that can be done.

Sent you a DM.

Last edited:
•••
I also experienced this godaddy.

Few years before i saw 1 domain having highest bid of around $150.
I started bidding on this domain and liiast fe minutes bidding raised to $22000 (bidding was raised 3 bidders)
My highest bid was around $21000 and was third highest bid. After few days i received email from godaddy that Congratulations you can get domain by making payment as other 2 top bidders didnt pay.

That was quite suspicious and looked liked godady bots raised bidding price to 22k
I am almost 100% certain I have thrown away tons of money due to this same process. Sucks.

•••
domain market is highly fraudulent.
Several market titans manipulate people.

Nobody can make me believe that some domains are sold for millions when my single word domain cant sell for 19 usd only :)

•••
domain market is highly fraudulent.
Several market titans manipulate people.

Nobody can make me believe that some domains are sold for millions when my single word domain cant sell for 19 usd only :)
1.its, true that some Domain selling Platforms Manipulate Markets. Godaddy is top on the list. (i am noticing this for last 10 years)

2. Premium Domains do have high worth. Domainers dont pay true worth but users who actually needs that domain, will pay what its worth.

I have bought multiple domains in range of $10,000 - $100,000.
Also once i wanted to buy domain for 2 Million USD but Seller demanded even higher.

Last edited:
•••
money evil. people die for it. just pay yo Bills and be happy.. the wisest finest best greatest man is he who needs least not he who has most

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back