Dynadot

poll Mike Mann - Your opinion?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mike Mann? Legend, Lucky or Loser?

• 1st

Luck! With that many names in his portfolio, he makes his sales through weight of numbers not skill.

votes
    48.0%
  • 2nd

Legend! His sales are a show of his skills in picking names.

votes
    32.0%
  • 3rd (tie)

Show me his financials. I bet he barely turns a profit.

votes
    24.0%
  • 3rd (tie)

Mike is someone we should look up to in our business.

votes
    24.0%
  • 4th

Loser! He makes money from infringing other people's TM's.

votes
    20.0%

• 37 votes
  • Ended 7 years ago
  • Final results

D Haynes

Top Member
Impact
Ok so I've seen a lot of threads recently about Mike Mann's sales. There seems to be a few different opinions on him and the sales he makes. I don't know much about him but apparently he is a famous name in domaining and owns a large portfolio. I thought it might be interesting to run a quick poll and see what his peers think of him...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is stupid. Don't waste time worrying about somebody else's house... focus on building your own.

•••
I look at a lot of his sales and go O_o

I don't really like his business model, there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of skill or planning that goes into what he does, so with that wouldn't listen to any advice from him.

He's an OG, made his money in golden years and thats why he's able to do what he does now in terms of volume. I think if was just starting out in the last 5 years though with say a budget of $10k, he wouldn't get very far.

Defiantly a legend in the domaining world though, his name is posted on this forum all the time, so fair play to him.

Last edited:
•••
I look at a lot of his sales and go O_o with a lot of them.

I don't really like his business model, there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of skill or planning that goes into what he does, so with that wouldn't listen to any advice from him.

He's an OG, made his money in golden years and thats why he's able to do what he does now in terms of volume. I think if was just starting out in the last 5 years though with say a budget of $10k, he wouldn't get very far.

Good luck to the guy though.
I was thinking exactly the same thing and was going to put that in the poll as an answer (could he do it now). Some would argue that his skill was in predicting the way demand for domain names would boom and that's good enough to be a legend. Maybe pioneer would be better suited.

•••
I think #2 is not properly written : "Luck! With that many names in his portfolio, he makes his sales through weight of numbers not skill."

This is not luck. It's still skill. Infact, the big volume of domains is a way to offset the effect of luck.

•••
This Thread/Poll is so wrong...not voting

Last edited:
•••
I look at a lot of his sales and go O_o

Defiantly a legend in the domaining world though, his name is posted on this forum all the time, so fair play to him.

IMO all the domains he posts he sold are quite good. There's a few total head-scratchets in the bunch but overall they're all decent inventory names. Natural language, frequent phrases, big money marketing phrases. The thing is, IMO, that for a lot of the domains he sells, there is no substitute. And that's where you want to be, at least I do.

He ABSOLUTELY doesn't reg domains randomly. Far from it. Again, IMO.

•••
Expert at branding himself!

•••
Of your three choices, obvious, this guy is a legend.

Choices 2, and 3 just sound like sour grapes to - me -

My opinion, if Mike started from scratch today, he would still have the skill to become a major player.

Not voting.

•••
Of your three choices, obvious, this guy is a legend.

Choices 2, and 3 just sound like sour grapes to - me -

My opinion, if Mike started from scratch today, he would still have the skill to become a major player.

Not voting.
I regret not putting "I'm jealous of his success" as a choice lol.

Some people refusing to vote too. I have seen probably equal likes and dislikes of him in threads on NP which was the reason of the poll. His name just seems to be the one that comes up the most out of the biggest names in domaining. Maybe it's just a sign of his success.

•••

Opinions are like rectums.

In addition, most of the people that have 'shared' these negative opinions are spiteful jealous newcomers that have yet to make a legitimate five-figure sale.

Mike Mann has made a massive investment, and has to sell at high price points. However, it's more that he made a massive investment at the right time, and can sell at high price points because he is a professional.

One of his sales can be more than most domainers sell in their fleeting domain venture.

People in this game can be such vile haters, so for those that fall into this group let me give you some kind advice.

Stop throwing the baby out with the bath water. Take the good sales information, that Mr. Mann is kind enough to share, with a does of the realities of the extent of his serious investment in domains.

•••
•••
Back