Dynadot

alert DAN.COM cancel the deal and not transfer domain after BIN payment

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

enamebroker

Top Member
Impact
I bought one domain by BIN via DAN.COM and waited for domain transfer. And DAN cancelled this transaction and said the domain is not owned by the reseller. I can't believe it. How to deal with this matter? See attached photo.

Attachments

• webwxgetmsgimg.jpg
    webwxgetmsgimg.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 597
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not much you can do. Judging by the email you received, the Seller did own it at one time. Dan has no way to verify if a Seller still owns a certain domain. Hopefully Dan will take action against the Seller for not removing the domain from their inventory when they sold it.

•••
This happens all the time. You get a refund. If the person doesn’t own the domain, there isn’t much else you can do.

•••
Yeah, it happens. I have had many deals canceled as well.

Brad

•••
So it is wasting time in DAN trading domains, even it is listed by BIN. What kind of the platform? Why can the domain be listed by BIN????

•••
It can happen with any market place: Afternic, Sedo, GD, etc...
The owner listed everywhere and sold in one place but forgot to remove the listing.

•••
Is there any penalty for DAN if it fails and DAN breaks the trade contract to protect the customers?

•••
This happens all the time. You get a refund. If the person doesn’t own the domain, there isn’t much else you can do.
In China, it will not happen. You have to transfer the domain to the platform. I buy the domain and it will get into my account directly and immediately.

•••
•••
You are confusing between marketplaces and registrars.
There are marketplaces inside registrars (Godaddy, Sav, etc...) and yes this will not happen if you buy from marketplace from the the registrar. It has nothing to do with China or not China.

•••
It can happen with any market place: Afternic, Sedo, GD, etc...
The owner listed everywhere and sold in one place but forgot to remove the listing.

Sedo has up front MANDATORY verification in place, and the problem seems to be far less of an issue there--at least for the initial listings. Afternic/GD/Dan do not require verification up front for the initial listings.

You are really spot on about the concern about some listings that were forgotten and not removed. Sedo's verification up front, for example, will not avoid the issue of domains that have expired or been sold since listing. It remains unclear whether they do this as well. For all marketplaces, it probably is a good idea.

My experience has been that my domains were intentionally being listed by others, without permission and clearly without any verifcation by DAN or Afternic. They were longstanding ownerships by me The listings were clearly fraudsters trying to sell domains as if they owned them. In fact, my domains listed by one account would be removed, and then the same names reappear under another account.

When the fraudster tries to sell the domain, the sale fails unless they can quickly buy it from the actual owner (presumably at a lower price) and then do the transfer. This is called domain "front running," and apparently can work if the actual owner is using Fast Transfer or Sedo MLS premium transfer service.

Verification that the domains are actually owned by those listing them is important, and not just at the time of initial listing but also especially before a sale. It's sad that you had to go through this additional hassle.

Domains listed by others who do not actually own them is a widespread, well-known, recurrent problem. And there is no signs that it is going to be fixed any time soon.

Last edited:
•••
Not surprised.

I reported a seller on March 13 who was listing domains they don't own. The seller's page is still active. They list all domains that are in auction at other marketplaces.

•••
it sucks but it happens last time i was out of 30$ even after the refund something to do with currency conversion and credit card fees so yeahh

Last edited:
•••
So, this is what happens since Dan allows everybody to list anything without proper verification (if the domain is not in the system yet). OMG, what should happen for this to be changed? Both on DAN and Afternic? OK, they have merchant accounts to accept credit cards. With merchant accounts, there are always T&C - and afaik those terms are supposed to limit a number of chargebacks or refunds for the merchant account to remain active and in good standing. Maybe GoDaddy, as the new owner of DAN, should check how their new property - dan - operates in the aspect of their merchant account and is it stable and in good standing? And, @GoDaddy , what about enforcing Dan to implement ownership verification for all domains? While this may be complicated on afternic, in dan case this should be fast and easy. Just change the code applying existing verification to all domains one tries to add, not exclusively to conflicting ones [current scheme]??
@James Iles

Last edited:
•••
Right -- the claim that Dan (or any marketplace) has no way to verify if a seller still owns a given domain is simply not true.

It's just not worth their while to do so proactively, apparently.

•••
I've noticed Afternic puts domains in Review if:
  1. The domain in question is expired.
  2. The domain is transferred to a different registrar.
DAN should implement something similar.
If a seller has hundreds of domains, let alone thousands, it's easy to miss a few updates.

However, AFAIK, if a domain is transferred within the same registrar with domain privacy on, Afternic probably doesn't put it in Review (please correct me if I'm wrong about this).

•••
@Fayaz Ahmed last thing that is needed is more regulations if you think a deal is too good to be true just contact dan.com support they will help you confirm if the domain is actually owned by the seller(before paying for it)

•••
@Fayaz Ahmed last thing that is needed is more regulations if you think a deal is too good to be true just contact dan.com support they will help you confirm if the domain is actually owned by the seller(before paying for it)

No I didn't mean regulation. I meant in the seller account Afternic implements this.

This way it's much easier to detect if there is an expired, transferred domain within the account and then delete it from the account.

•••
it sucks but it happens last time i was out of 30$ even after the refund something to do with currency conversion and credit card fees so yeahh
Please consider demanding that you be reimbursed for those additional charges. Don't be afraid of asking DAN and GoDaddy, that owns them, to act responsibly. After all, even if this happened in the past, you now have had to go through the experience again--although at least apparently without the financial loss.

One NP member did report that a different marketplace did demand that the seller pay a fine for not being able to produce the domain with a sale. In that case, it appeared that the domain was sold in two places for BIN. The losing BIN marketplace, unable to make the sale due to it being sold by the owner elsewhere, did not take it lightly.

Also, do not be afraid to post your experience on TrustPilot. This all the more encourages Dan and GoDaddy to act in good faith, to at least reimburse you for the additional costs incurred by the previous mishap. And, hopefully they would try to deal with this problem more seriously in the future. After all, it would presumbly not be difficult for listings to be verified BEFORE the sale.

Last edited:
•••
Why are you guys hitting buy without typing it into a browser/checking name servers? You had to type it on DAN internal search to find it correct?

As a buyer you have to do your homework too. I bought on Afternic same thing happened twice now I always check the whois and nameservers.

•••
Why are you guys hitting buy without typing it into a browser/checking name servers? You had to type it on DAN internal search to find it correct?

As a buyer you have to do your homework too. I bought on Afternic same thing happened twice now I always check the whois and nameservers.

You are absolutely right.

I too have made mistakes in the past, and later learned to check at least the following six things while buying a name:
  1. Whois info.
  2. Where the landing page leads to.
  3. Spam status of the name.
  4. Malware status of the name.
  5. Direct Trademark violation.
  6. Is any marketplace selling the same name at a lower price?
Perhaps there are more. But these are the bare minimum IMHO.

Happy domaining 🌹
Fayaz.

•••
You are confusing between marketplaces and registrars.
There are marketplaces inside registrars (Godaddy, Sav, etc...) and yes this will not happen if you buy from marketplace from the the registrar. It has nothing to do with China or not China.
Maybe you are right. You can’t list your domains in different registrar’s marketplace by twice in China.

•••
Right -- the claim that Dan (or any marketplace) has no way to verify if a seller still owns a given domain is simply not true.
Absolutely correct. At a minimum, the mandatory verifcation could be done at the time of listing and PRIOR to allowing any offer to be submitted to the seller.

As for

You are very wise to do so. That would help undermine sale attempts involving pricing with a BIN much higher than what the actual owner is posting. The challenge still would be those fraudulent listings that are placed as "make offer" with a much lower price than what the actual owner has posted elsewhere.

It definitely would eliminate some poor sucker paying high prices for a domain that is unregistered and available for registration direct from the registry.

On several spot checks yesterday with Afternic, up to about 10% of the listings were unregistered names. That was lower than the previous 20% I noted before. On Dan, on various spot checks yesterday, up to 37.5% of the listings were unregistered, which was a decrease from the up to 60% I had previously noted.

Ironically, some of the unregistered domain names on DAN included scammingus dot com, Wecheatyou dot com, RobbingUSA dot com, IDishonest dot com and RealMorons dot com. All of those were in one account that held over 25K domains, and all priced for $888 BIN or available for installments. Note that they are available for registration for about $10 at various registrars.

So, vigilance, as you are doing, is key.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Its not rocket science to require verification for listing domains on marketplaces. I do not know why in 2023 we're still having this issue. It gives the industry a black eye.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back